PG Music Home
Hello All.

I am making up for no blog post in June and getting August's done nice and early...

Now, I know I am going to take some flack for this post but the purpose is not to start an argument but conversation is always good so feel free to fire away.... The purpose is really to encourage new Band-in-a-Box users who are just getting into using a DAW to give Realband a try before splashing out on another DAW. Comments are always welcome.

Eight reasons why I, as a Band-in-Box user, use RealBand as my DAW of choice
Hi Joanne,

Couple of minor points on your blog:

Item 2: "It does not use an iLok or Gobbler"

That has nothing to do with the DAW. It has to do with the plugins you were using. I'm using mostly waves plugins these days, no software protection device needed.

Item 3: "It is not a resource hog"

There are lots of DAWs available that are not resource hogs. The example you gave, Pro Tools, is probably the worse DAW out there as far as eating up resources, but it is designed for a professional environment where that is not an issue, not for running on an entry level laptop. I've been using reaper here the last couple of years, it is far better than Pro Tools at managing resources.

I would argue that 7 & 8 are basically the same point. Alt F5 in BIAB lets me change the chord or generate holds (or shots, etc.) on specific instruments.

But yes, the ability to do BIAB type things within your DAW is a cool feature and I agree 100% that for a new user it makes sense to check it out!
Since Mac BiaB does not include RealBand I have little to offer other than I run BiaB and Logic Pro X simultaneously and with BiaB's DAW mode my workflow is smooth. In the spirit of transparency I have to admit to running 20gb RAM and my Mac has a 27" screen. I couldn't imagine working via a laptop! My old eyes require a large screen smile especially when I have a couple of Izotope products open along with the DAW.

Bud
A minor change might be needed in #1. It should read RealBand comes free with the PC version of BiaB.

I have always said if you have a favorite DAW use it but if you do not have a DAW learn RB.

Good blog!
I first saw the August Blog over on Facebook this morning. I enjoyed reading it and thinking of all the uses of RealBand. It's a nice, informative article and should get new users and possibly some long time users to take a look at Realband.

The biggest surprise to me was no mention was made of the Multi Riff feature nor the total of 48 tracks to work with. Mentioning those would have given you ten reasons to use RB as your DAW.

In my song "Say I Do", I used Multi Riff on the lead guitar track 18 times for fills and the solo. That is the real life equivalent of having a studio session musician compose and audition 126 punch in's. That could never been done in the few minutes it took to complete in RB by a live session player. I also used the Multi Riff on the Saxophone track but not to the extent that I did on the lead guitar track.

Multi Riff provides a level of uniqueness to the track and removes the genericness of a single RealTrack that may be recognizable to other Real Track users. I believe Multi Riffs across multiple tracks make it nearly impossible for another user using the same style, RealTracks, chord chart, tempo and key to replicate precisely and produce the same song.

48 tracks versus 8 is at least a reason to use RealBand. Especially since it is included for free if you have the Windows version of Biab.

Charlie
Awesome blog post! It really showcases what RealBand can do smile This would prove useful to anybody trying to figure out what route to go for a DAW for after purchasing Band-in-a-Box. Thanks for sharing!
Great article, Josie. I like the tight integration with BIAB and the convenience of having RealBand right at hand when I'm working. I don't always use it, but I've found it to be an excellent program with lots of features. If I had one complaint it's that I wish it were prettier. grin

Very informative. Thanks, Bob
Charlie,

School me on the muti-riff. I will typically regen solo and some rhythm tracks multiple times and then stack them below the first gen in my DAW (Logic has as many tracks as you have memory for) and then cut and past from the multiple tracks to create a single track to my liking. I assume this results in the same outcome as the "multi-riff?"

Thanks,

Bud
From the RealBand users manual:

Quote:
With “Same but Different” MultiRiff selection you can audition 7 different RealTracks performances, to choose the one that works the best with your song, with a single click! This works for the entire track, or the highlighted region of a track. Choose one riff or multiple riffs to add to the song.

For example, if you want a pedal steel riff for 4 bars, highlight that region, and listen to the 7 selections, and choose the riff that works best. Or if you want 2 “different” acoustic guitar strumming parts, choose 2 from the 7 different generated parts, they will be written as to different tracks, and contain different strumming. We call this “Same but different” since the strumming patterns are on the same chords, but are different performances.

This way, with one command, you get 7 generations of a RealTrack over the same highlighted section of your song. Since each generation is slightly different, you get lots to choose from. You can audition them and then decide which one(s) you want to actually write to track(s) within RealBand.

And of course after doing it once, you can do it again, or choose a different part of the song to create the multiriff variations, or even select the entire song.

Attached picture MultiRiff.jpg
Bud, there could be, and should be a book just on Multi Riff alone. It is similar to how you generate, cut and past multiple tracks merging the edits into a unique single track. But that does not equal to Multi Riff capabilities.

Multi Riff is capable of constructing a riff from a note to the whole track. It will give 7 selections and the user can choose to select one, more than one or all 7 Multi Riff versions. If more than one riff is selected, the user can select the tracks where the additional tracks will be placed. Riff generations are user selectable to begin earlier and end later than the highlighted selection allowing a higher quality merge between the newly generated audio and the track audio.

You have two choices with every Multi Riff selection to either generate the current instrument or to choose any different RealTrack in the database. That means if you had used all of the available 48 tracks and needed room for a Bridge solo, you can use Multi Riff to generate and insert your solo on any existing track to do so.

On my system, generating a Multi Riff also generates a Midi Real Chart for the generated audio. A Midi instrument or Super Midi instrument can use the chart to twin with the Multi Riff generated audio. The Midi Real Charts can be erased and discarded if there is no need for them in your song.

If you are not satisfied with a bar or two of your chord chart, you have a choice to select and regenerate the RB track as normal or you can choose to generate 7 versions with Multi Riff to give yourself additional choices.

You get a lot of choices in the way you generate multiple tracks now. If you had the Multi Riff feature, you could save time and have better focus by being able to hone into the specific area you are wanting to work with. Also, if you are generating 7 track or 8 tracks to comp a solo for 8 bars, you have many choices if the generated tracks share additional verses or chorus's with the area you are working in. If they don't, say you are working on a bridge and it uses chords specific to the bridge, then without further time spent generating additional tracks, you are limited to the 7-8 tracks. With Multi Riff, you can generate a series of 7 multi Riffs in probably a 1/4 of the time it takes to load and generate complete tracks.

Again using an 8 bar uniquely chorded bridge, the seven different Multi Riffs can be cut/pasted into a unique bridge from the 7 selections.

I've probably overlooked things but that is a short summary. I'll leave with the thought that a year or so ago, I gifted the Pastor of the Church I attend a BIAB program. He uses the Mac platform and requested the Mac Biab version. I gave him a RB and Multi Riff demonstration and he purchased a PC desktop for his music and got the PC version of Biab.

Hopes this helps. If I've overlooked features or you have questions, post them here and either I or another user will try to help you out.

If you are wondering if it's worth the investment of a PC based desktop or laptop, I think it is.

Charlie
LOL, what John said - in way fewer words than I did........ and his picture tells you a lot....
Charlie,

Thanks for taking the time for such a detailed explanation. I read it several times over and I "think" I now grasp the capabilities of it. I would love to have that function but for several reasons I'm reticent to pursue it. First, I used PC's daily from their inception in the early 80's until I switched to a Mac five years ago. For creating videos and photos editing (I fancy myself as a bit of a photographer) I feel that the Mac programs far exceed what I was using on my Dell. Secondly, I'm extremely pleased with the seamless manner that Logic Pro X and my Izotope suite work together. Dunno about RealBand and Izotope?? Over the past five years I've pretty much gotten my workflow established to my satisfaction.

There is one option that I could consider and that would be to create a Windows partition on my Mac's HD (readily doable) and run BiaB/RealBand there. But for mixing/mastering purposes I would have to transfer the tracks to Logic Pro X on the Mac side.

Pardon the thinking "out loud" smile and a big thanks again for your time!

Bud
Glad to do it.

I fully understand that going cross platform from MAC to PC could can be a deal breaker. The only reason it wasn't for my Pastor, he got Biab for free and the cost of the PC was less than the Biab version he got. He also walked away with a computer dedicated to just music...

Considering the quality of your work, you're not missing much more than convenience. I've never seen a review or comment on one of your song posts where someone said, "Great song, but I'm hearing some Multi Riff opportunities that would have sent this song over the top."

As for photography, check out gigapans if you are not familiar with them. You can see gigapan photos at www.gigapan.com I take gigapan photos and it is a very satisfying and rewarding genre of the photography hobby. As you will see, they are great for mountainous locations. From the main screen, there is a search box and the word 'gigapans' should be listed as the search perimeter. Just click on the magnifying glass and it will open the browser for the latest gigapan posts. Enter my name, first and last in lower case and it should take to a few I posted as I was learning how to use the equipment.

Charlie
FWIW - This feature has been requested for BIAB (not exactly sure how it would be implemented, since BIAB doesn't have 7 extra audio tracks, but who knows...PGMusic often surprises us).
I'm definitely in the NO crowd when it comes to RealBand! smile

I'm not sure whether or not it is a resource hog but I have found it to be sluggish compared to more modern DAWs. I like Reaper and it is free to use as long as you want so that is not really an issue either. Because RB is an add-on to the main product it is not nearly as feature-rich as other DAWs nor is it ever likely to compete with them on that front. And I disagree with the notion that using a flawed tool is a worthwhile trade-off because it is "free". I agree new users should give RealBand a try but they should also try other DAWs to see what they are missing!

RealBand does have a single killer feature...the ability to generate RealTracks. So I use it for that feature, export the tracks it generates and do my mixing in a serious DAW!
For MultiRiffs on A Mac
Watch https://www.dropbox.com/s/4es22n4a8gq9vku/BB-MultiRiffs.mp4?dl=0

Biab MultiRiffs an Easier Way

Run Multiple Instances of Biab Mac

Or like JohnJohnJohn first suggested years back a BiaVST.
I, for one, would like to know more about holds. I only ever used them in chord input in biab. Midi supertracks etc.; I need to go back to midi and the new midi sound generator and see what's what. I for one now value what realband has and have started to use it, but will finish mixing and mastering with izotope etc in Reaper. At least, that's the plan.
Wow! what great feedback from everyone. I have learned a few things in this. Firstly I live in a "windows bubble" and tend to forget that there is a whole army pf people who use this wonderful product on a Mac. So it never crossed my mind that you would not also get RealBand with the Mac version.

Secondly, Charlie, thank you so much for your posts on the multi riff feature. I have never used it but I am definitely going to give it a try. I usually just keep hitting the "regenerate" until I get something I like.

Lamanda.. I think I need to do a very short blog post on how I generate the holds in Realband. It really is the most awesome feature and can add a very professional feel to your tracks.

I knew that there are some folks who do not use Realband at all in their workflow and that is fine. I am really not trying to convince anybody to change from their existing DAW to Realband, I am just trying to convince BIAB beginners who are graduating from using BIAB exclusively to a using a DAW to give RealBand a chance.
I experimented a bit with the multi riff feature in Realband and produced an instrumental gypsy jazz track. I have posted it to realstyle competition here (if anybody is interested)

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=425925#Post425925

I used the multi riff feature to generate the fiddle solo and then added some other instruments (using midi) that follow the fiddle solo.
Some great thoughts here.
I may try and do a vid on the multi riff feature.
You guys a certainly are a gold mine for ideas.
Rob
To my stout Mac mind, that blog could just as well serve as a very decent case for "Eight reasons why we want RB on the Mac too, dangit!" grin

So even if that whole angle "never crossed your mind", Jo, I'd like to say thanks for the moral (if slightly accidental) support to our cause wink
What I need is a tutorial on how to program half note triplets. I have tried every combination of ^ and ^^ and ^^^ and ^^^^ and end up saying *&^%@#$ every time. I asked once before and got a math dissertation about how to cut measures into pulser per minutes and all the accompanying yada yada. I just want to put in a part that plays on 1, the and after 2, and 4.

So

1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +

Specifically, G and 2 D 3 and Em and (then a D resolve on the next 1).

I have been trying to do this for like 3 years now and still have not gotten it right. I got it CLOSE, but this isn't horseshoes OR hand grenades, so I need it right. I am just out of options. I can play the MUSIC in time, but the drums don't line up if the syncopation isn't there. To be honest though, I have never understood why the RB term is "pushes", when what I want to do is PULL the beat back in time, or toward me. Pushes, holds, shots.... 8 years into this and I don't really know those. Shot to me is when the drummer hits the rim on the snare drum. Holds I get with the different number of dots.

So a tutorial on half note and quarter note triplets would be great.
Hi Icelander. Thanks for reading the blog. I appreciate it. As mentioned, I had no idea that Realband was not available for Mac until now...so glad I could make your case for PG Music to put some work into this.

Eddie, sorry but I have no idea how to do that!
So you want G on 1, D on 2-AND then Em on 4?
That part should be easy enough, I'm guessing it is the drums that are the issue (?)

I imagine it would be hard to find the realdrum/drum style that would cooperate. You may have to try a lot of variations, and even then it would probably be lucky to find something you already know/want.
But MIDI drum should be just as easy to input or create that pattern.

I think 'Push' implies the track is 'pushing ahead of the beat' and not 'pushing the track back'. If that makes sense.
I suppose 'Rush' could just as easily be used. The track rushes ahead .. but I think standard jazz slang would use push.
Originally Posted By: rharv
So you want G on 1, D on 2-AND then Em on 4?
That part should be easy enough, I'm guessing it is the drums that are the issue

Exactly right Harv. I can get the music close enough to acceptable but the drums just won't syncopate to match the music. And the specific song this applies to really needs those accents at the end of the chorus. As close as I have gotten it was locating a spot where there is a splash cymbal and a snare hit at the same time, slicing it out, then manually pasting that on the right spots in the measures. It's a pain in the southernmost part of my upper torso, but I got it close enough for the demo to send to the girl I wanted to sing the thing.

Quote:
I think 'Push' implies the track is 'pushing ahead of the beat' and not 'pushing the track back'.

I think of this in terms pf how sometimes a vocal line starts ahead of the next downbeat. (goin' to... KANsas city, where goin' to comes before the downbeat) I have always used the term "anticipated" for that. I guess that's what a push is in RB terminology. And that confused me, because it seems like "pull" would be more accurate, that you are PULLING something to play ahead of the downbeat where it logically seems to be programmed. The computer nerd in me thinks of that as a timeline, and you are standing on the downbeat. To move it back in time to your left is pulling. To move it forward in time to your right is pushing. That's where I got confused by the term at first.

But that's enough about this. This is Joanne's thread.
Originally Posted By: eddie1261

But that's enough about this. This is Joanne's thread.

Absolutely no problem from me Eddie
© PG Music Forums