PG Music Home
Posted By: BlueAttitude More news from soundcloud ... - 08/11/17 08:07 AM
Something is happening today it seems:

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2017/08/10/soundcloud-investors-24-hours/
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: More news from soundcloud ... - 08/11/17 09:55 AM
If they go down the tubes I'm moving to YouTube smile There are multiple easy ways to convert an MP3 or wav file plus cover photo to a YouTube "video" format w/o the hassle/time of creating an actual video. And YouTube ain't going away.

Bud
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: More news from soundcloud ... - 08/11/17 10:21 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
If they go down the tubes I'm moving to YouTube smile There are multiple easy ways to convert an MP3 or wav file plus cover photo to a YouTube "video" format w/o the hassle/time of creating an actual video. And YouTube ain't going away.

Bud

plus, if you build a following on youtube, you can EARN money by putting ads on your content.
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: More news from soundcloud ... - 08/11/17 02:08 PM
Nope! They got funding and are here to stay...for now! smile

https://blog.soundcloud.com/2017/08/11/exciting-news-future-soundcloud/
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: More news from soundcloud ... - 08/11/17 02:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr

Bud

plus, if you build a following on youtube, you can EARN money by putting ads on your content.

Good point Pat. We have 22,000 plays on SC which would have been twice what we needed to monetize on YT.

Bud
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: More news from soundcloud ... - 08/11/17 02:40 PM
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Nope! They got funding and are here to stay...for now! smile

https://blog.soundcloud.com/2017/08/11/exciting-news-future-soundcloud/

Great news!! cool
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: More news from soundcloud ... - 08/11/17 02:46 PM
for some reason these articles remind me of the time Coke announced they were going to stop making the original recipe...

FWIW, even if you stay on Sound Cloud, there's no reason not to be on YouTube too. Or FaceBook, or Vimeo. You already did all the hard work of creating the music. Now its just a matter of uploading it to a bunch of different places where different groups of people can find it.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: More news from soundcloud ... - 08/11/17 05:35 PM
for some reason these articles remind me of the time Coke announced they were going to stop making the original recipe...

FWIW, even if you stay on Sound Cloud, there's no reason not to be on YouTube too. Or FaceBook, or Vimeo. You already did all the hard work of creating the music. Now its just a matter of uploading it to a bunch of different places where different groups of people can find it.

A very good point Pat.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: More news from soundcloud ... - 08/12/17 07:51 AM

Sure, the more sites the better. We upload to a bunch of different sites but have always had the most luck as far as listens go over on soundcloud.

Just came across the following, bailout cost $169.5 million dollars!

http://www.factmag.com/2017/08/11/soundcloud-169-million-investment-deal/
Posted By: MarioD Re: More news from soundcloud ... - 08/12/17 11:13 AM
My guess is that you will see the free version either eliminated or drastically changed. Maybe something like the free version will only let you post three songs or the free version will be loaded with ads and not run if you have an ad blocker activated.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: More news from soundcloud ... - 08/12/17 02:56 PM
I'm kinda surprised that some folks get so exercised over the pay version...often saying they refuse to buy it. By my quick "in the head" calculations it costs about 15 cents a day. FWIW.

Bud
Posted By: MarioD Re: More news from soundcloud ... - 08/12/17 03:52 PM
I'm kinda surprised that some folks get so exercised over the pay version...often saying they refuse to buy it. By my quick "in the head" calculations it costs about 15 cents a day. FWIW.

Bud

I hear ya! I have been a paid member for a couple of years now and IMHO it is well worth it.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: More news from soundcloud ... - 08/12/17 04:13 PM
On all of these 'free' music services, the more they ask you to pay, the more likely it is that someday musicians will see an amount of the money that is fair. It will take lobbying, legislation, attitude changes and persistence, but it might happen. On these 'free' (ad-based) services, what is left for musicians isn't enough to make very many musicians interested in becoming professional.
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: More news from soundcloud ... - 08/12/17 05:26 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD

Bud

I hear ya! I have been a paid member for a couple of years now and IMHO it is well worth it.

I totally agree with you guys! I hope they do eliminate or severely restrict the free accounts. If you are not willing to pay a little then maybe your music should not be cluttering up the place! smile And SoundCloud has a screwy set of levels with free giving you tons of space while the next level that is paid gives very little more in the way of features while the top is too damn expensive!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: More news from soundcloud ... - 08/12/17 07:28 PM

Bud

Me too... I decided a couple of years ago that Soundcloud was giving me a great run so I opted to pay. I also apply this principle to OpenSource/free software. When it's obvious to me that it has become important to my use of the computer, I contribute.

I hope Soundcloud survive... I've found it a great site.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: More news from soundcloud ... - 08/13/17 07:03 AM
Originally Posted By: Noel96

Bud

Me too... I decided a couple of years ago that Soundcloud was giving me a great run so I opted to pay. I also apply this principle to OpenSource/free software. When it's obvious to me that it has become important to my use of the computer, I contribute.

I hope Soundcloud survive... I've found it a great site.

Yes, same with me on both counts.

It will be interesting to see what happens there over the next few months, the two new investors own more than 50% of the company so you can be sure they will be making some big moves to protect their investment.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: More news from soundcloud ... - 08/13/17 08:41 AM
Yes, let's expect some changes, and also be appreciative that they have hopefully given us a way to move forward. Moreover, keep in mind that our investment directly affects out future. No investment?
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: More news from soundcloud ... - 02/27/18 05:49 PM
Well, it doesn't look so good:

http://variety.com/2018/digital/news/twitter-soundcloud-investment-writedown-1202709415/

Going from a valuation of 700M to 150M doesn't bode well. Original investors got kicked out with no payback and Twitter had to write off 66M of their 70M investment.

I think this is what "circling the drain" looks like.

Bob
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: More news from soundcloud ... - 02/28/18 09:11 AM
Yeah, it's too bad. They had this huge cash bailout and as far as I can tell they did nothing with it, nothing visible from the user end anyway.

Seems like a case of putting good money after bad.

For the last six months I have been investing more of my time over on reverbnation, seems like a more stable platform.
Posted By: CeeBee Re: More news from soundcloud ... - 03/01/18 05:16 AM
What amazes me is that Soundcloud was valued at 700 million.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: More news from soundcloud ... - 03/01/18 09:17 AM
Yeah, no idea how they come up with those evaluations. I see Spotify just filed for a 1 Billion dollar IPO. They had $5 Billion in sales last year but lost $1.5 Billion.

Mind boggling numbers!

Here: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/28/spotify-ipo-business-model-flaws.html
Posted By: sslechta Re: More news from soundcloud ... - 03/01/18 11:11 AM
Good point on Spotify. I think them going public will just sink them faster..... We shall see.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: More news from soundcloud ... - 03/01/18 01:26 PM
Is it true that you can't monetize on youtube until you have 7,000 followers? I think I heard that somewhere but I am not sure if I did or not.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: More news from soundcloud ... - 03/01/18 01:41 PM
I thought it was more than that Eddie.

As far as SC or Spotify, not enough folks are willing to pay for it. It's the same o same o sad story when it comes to musicians trying to get their stuff out there. Probably 99% of users are home wannabe bedroom producers who just want a free spot to park their songs so their mother and a few friends can see it.

Bob
Posted By: MarioD Re: More news from soundcloud ... - 03/01/18 06:45 PM
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal

As far as SC or Spotify, not enough folks are willing to pay for it. It's the same o same o sad story when it comes to musicians trying to get their stuff out there. Probably 99% of users are home wannabe bedroom producers who just want a free spot to park their songs so their mother and a few friends can see it.

Bob

I agree 100%. If I use something a lot I buy it. This goes for freeware and shareware. I do pay for SC and I think all of us who post there should pay also. YMMV
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: More news from soundcloud ... - 03/01/18 11:20 PM
I’m the bad guy just using SC for my friends and family. The most plays I have on any of my songs is a thousand or so, because someone shared it to a group.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: More news from soundcloud ... - 03/01/18 11:41 PM
Every MOOC (Massive Online Open Course) I've taken requires students to use Soundcloud for storing and distributing audio examples.

I bet there are literally thousands of SoundCloud users that only upload audio or listen if they are taking a class.

I have two accounts, one for courses and one for my music.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: More news from soundcloud ... - 03/02/18 10:22 AM
I think the “latest” news has been perhaps misread. I don’t see the relationship between Twitter belatedly announcing their losses that apparently occurred before the most recent cash infusion.

Bud
© PG Music Forums