PG Music Home
No fake players.
No politics.
No sideways opinions.
Positive.
Fun.

Good music.

http://www.npr.org/event/music/552871412/steve-martin-and-the-steep-canyon-rangers-tiny-desk-concert
The Steep Canyon Rangers are one of the most creative bluegrass bands that have come down the pike in the last decade. And Steve Martin is not a novelty act...he's a world class banjo player.

Thanks for sharing.
Steep Canyon Rangers are a Carolina band (Brevard), so its no surprise they frequently play at Merlefest. It is my understanding that Steve Martin frequently performs with that band, but I've never seen them together at the Wilkesboro festival. .

Maybe since he just collaborated on their new album he'll be with them at Merlefest 2018 to promote the CD?

Thanks for the link, Floyd!
Great music.

Thanx for sharing.
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Steep Canyon Rangers are a Carolina band (Brevard), so its no surprise they frequently play at Merlefest. It is my understanding that Steve Martin frequently performs with that band, but I've never seen them together at the Wilkesboro festival. .

Maybe since he just collaborated on their new album he'll be with them at Merlefest 2018 to promote the CD?

Gosh Pat, all you had to do was ask YouTube and look for the 2010 video +++ HERE +++ grin
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr

Gosh Pat, all you had to do was ask YouTube and look for the 2010 video +++ HERE +++ grin

my first year at Merlefest was 2013, so I missed that. (Thanks for the link!)
Just wanted to reiterate;
Steve Martin is a serious banjo talent .. the rest of this band is no slouch either, but SM's unknown talent in this regard is pretty notable
Glad to see someone else took note!
Excellent, just really excellent.
Originally Posted By: rharv
Just wanted to reiterate; Steve Martin is a serious banjo talent .. the rest of this band is no slouch either, but SM's unknown talent in this regard is pretty notable
Glad to see someone else took note!

Did you know Steve Martin has an +++ annual award +++ to recognize and highlight outstanding banjo musicians?
He's a wild and crazy guy.
With regards to his talent, he's definitely not "getting small". smile
or is he? .. maybe that's the secret to his success .. <grin>

// "they can't just put you in a regular cell either, cause you'll walk right out" ..
(I think that's the final line of that 'get small' bit, though it is faded on the concert recording), classic SM

He's truly an amazing talent. To OP, thanks; this brought back fun memories.
© PG Music Forums