PG Music Home
http://www.1manband.nl

I've just stumbled upon this thing by pure accident and am just curious if members on here have heard of or tried this music arrangement/accompaniment thiing, that can use .sty files from Jamaha (and possibly the BBox .sty files as well?).
The One Man band application is a real time arranger and inversly Band In A Box is NOT a real time arranger. So we can't compare One man band and BIAB.
I think you are referring to the Yamaha styles. Over the web, you can get thousands and thousands styles for free, including styles from PSR serie keyboards, Tyros series and even the last one the Genos keyboard.
The Yamaha styles have the same extension as the BIAB styles( *.sty), but you cannot play a Yamaha style in BIAB, because the Yamaha styles are in fact small MIDI files containing 3 intros, 4 variations called A, B, C and D, and 3 endings and some fills.
I wasn't necessarily thinking of a direct comparison as such, this is more meant as a general "what you all think?" kind of post.
As for your strict distinction between the two, then as I skimmed through the outline on that site I'm pretty sure I spotted something about the ability in this program to pre-program the chords and then select styles before initiating playback, not all that much unlike the core function of BBox. And I'm pretty sure that the original .sty files in BBox are indeed utilising pretty simple midi chord rules, like slightly different patterns used for major, minor and 7th, just like what you described (not quite sure about this though). They are however obviously different in that they don't seem to actually contain SMF data themselves, unlike the PSR styles, as you rightly point out.
But as I say, I'm more interested if any of you have actually tried this thing or think it's any good for what it's intended for.
Posted By: w Re: The 'One Man Band' accompaniment application - 12/11/17 12:48 AM
here is a fun application i use with the Band... ( available for purchase at the Apple Store - not all the expensive )

https://irealpro.com/
I own an older version (8) and with an XG Soundcard or driver it is a LOT of fun! You can trigger it from any keyboard that ha Midi In-Out, and use that keyboard like a PSR Arranger.

Overall it is a solid program that would be excellent for solo gigs IMHO. The PSR Tutorial Site is a great place to check out what these arrangers can do, and what folks who do Solo gigs are doing with them. There is also a ton of tracks to listen too......

https://psrtutorial.com/index.html

Hope this helps!
I'm loving the extra effort of added links in your feedbacks, this is brilliant! smile
I've got One Man Band (have had it for many years across several upgrades). It generally works and is designed to be used with Yamaha styles (for which there are thousands available - don't know about the more recent Yamaha offerings though). It is strictly MIDI and the interface is not as intuitive as BIAB (or Jammer Pro for that matter), but it does work and lets you play the various parts of the Yamaha style to generate songs. As I remember, you can export to MIDI, which you could then bring in to BIAB and add/delete/change tracks, as well as marry to a BIAB style, for example.

I don't really use it much anymore (preferring BIAB RealTracks with some MIDI), but it is definitely another tool in the box.

Best I can tell, it's a One Man Company, and there hasn't been an update in many years.
© PG Music Forums