PG Music Home
Posted By: Ryszard Busy day! - 12/29/17 09:59 PM
I announced my return to the PG Forums in the BIAB thread with the purchase of the 2018 UltraPak upgrade. But wait, there’s more! Today I also placed orders for:

A Dean EAB fretless electric-acoustic bass;
A Behringer D synthesizer (Minimoog clone);
Upgrade to Propellerhead Reason 10 (which, with BIAB, is my main composing tool).

Plus, earlier this year I was able to get an NS Design NXT4 electric upright bass, put a larger solid-state drive in my DAW, and repair the subwoofer in my studio.

All of this was with the enthusiastic permission of wife Trudy, a musician herself—but with a condition: I HAVE TO USE IT. I MUST start spending time with this stuff, or start thinking about selling some gear. If that sounds like a threat, it isn’t; it’s an incentive to invest time in doing what I love.

All of this was clear up front. I had $500 I could spent on whatever I wanted, but she kicked another $300 my way as long as I promised to do that.

Alrighty, then: I SOLEMNLY SWEAR I AM UP TO NO GOOD! cool

Richard
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Busy day! - 12/29/17 10:01 PM
Tell Trudy THANK YOU from all of us that frequent the forum. It really is sooo nice to have you back with us!
Posted By: musiclover Re: Busy day! - 12/29/17 11:07 PM
Welcome back to the fold!

wink
Posted By: MarioD Re: Busy day! - 12/29/17 11:53 PM
Richard, isn't it great to have a supporting wife! I also have one and she has never complained about my music hobby, even when I was gigging. She along with my kids have purchased a number of guitar, bases, software and hardware for me. I, like you and a number of us here, am truly blessed.

Ps - God put Linda, my wife, into my life because he knows that I can't be trusted alone for more than 5 minutes!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Busy day! - 12/30/17 11:48 AM
Hey Richard, good hearing from you again! I was just thinking about you the other day, wondering how you are doing... sounds like you're doing quite well!

Have fun with your new toys!
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Busy day! - 12/31/17 11:24 PM
Richard,

Any chance of seeing a picture of the scratch built acoustic bass you built?
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Busy day! - 01/01/18 02:53 AM
Originally Posted By: Ryszard
Alrighty, then: I SOLEMNLY SWEAR I AM UP TO NO GOOD! cool

That's the spirit! We love it when you swear like that.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Busy day! - 01/01/18 12:01 PM
Welcome back, Richard.
Posted By: MikeK Re: Busy day! - 01/01/18 12:15 PM
Good to have you back, Richard! Happy New Year! smile
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Busy day! - 01/01/18 12:35 PM
Alrighty, then: I SOLEMNLY SWEAR I AM UP TO NO GOOD!

Funny thing. People say I am up to no good when I play out live.

Well, they leave out the "up to"....
Posted By: jazzi Re: Busy day! - 01/01/18 12:39 PM
I guess your New Year's resolution was to make the rest of us really jealous. grin

Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Alrighty, then: I SOLEMNLY SWEAR I AM UP TO NO GOOD!

Funny thing. People say I am up to no good when I play out live.

Well, they leave out the "up to"....
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Busy day! - 01/01/18 03:24 PM

Wow.

That's not the response I got at all when I told my wife I might get another guitar.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Busy day! - 01/01/18 04:46 PM
I know I said this on another thread, but Welcome Back!

Happy New Year!
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Busy day! - 01/01/18 07:47 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
That's not the response I got at all when I told my wife I might get another guitar.

I remember when my wife said "If you buy ONE MORE keyboard I am going to leave you."

I'm single now....
Posted By: sslechta Re: Busy day! - 01/01/18 08:07 PM
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
I remember when my wife said "If you buy ONE MORE keyboard I am going to leave you." I'm single now....

You did it all wrong Eddie... You buy all the toys you can think of first, then get hitched......
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Busy day! - 01/01/18 08:50 PM
Originally Posted By: sslechta
You did it all wrong Eddie... You buy all the toys you can think of first, then get hitched......

She STILL doesn't know she bought that last keyboard.
Posted By: sslechta Re: Busy day! - 01/01/18 09:49 PM
LOL
Posted By: jford Re: Busy day! - 01/02/18 11:07 AM
Welcome back, Richard, and it looks like you're going to be having some serious fun.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Busy day! - 01/02/18 06:07 PM
How’s the neck on that NS bass? I never played upright, so when I had the opportunity to try an NS, it felt like a tree trunk to me!
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Busy day! - 01/03/18 04:25 PM
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
How’s the neck on that NS bass? I never played upright, so when I had the opportunity to try an NS, it felt like a tree trunk to me!

Hey, RockyNot!

I hadn’t played upright since 1970, so it took a bit of playing before my hands told me that the NS feels EXACTLY like a classical upright. Odd thing about them is that they are asymmetrical, both along the axis and across the neck. I suspect the fingerboard taper is as well. But, it feels SO RIGHT! One difference is that this has a truss rod, where I don’t believe a double bass does. Yes, the NS neck is much thicker than that of a bass guitar, but it is shallower, and the action much lighter, than that of a double bass.

I adore the thing in a way that I haven’t loved an instrument since buying my “forever” acoustic from Dean Markley in 1972. (I still have it, of course.)

I will relearn how to post photos here so I can share images. It’s quite lovely!

Richard
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Busy day! - 01/13/18 01:46 AM
The Dean fretless acoustic is set to be delivered Monday! I already have BIAB and Reason.
Posted By: musiclover Re: Busy day! - 01/13/18 08:34 AM
Good to see you getting really back into the swing of things Richard,

If the bass is anything like this it sure is a beaut.

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Ba...ASABEgITkfD_BwE

I reacall as well when Pat Marr visited you, you unpacked a Country Gentleman guitar, it seemed such a nice guitar as well.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Busy day! - 01/13/18 01:28 PM
The Dean fretless acoustic is set to be delivered Monday! I already have BIAB and Reason.

are you planning to film the unboxing and post it to the group? Enquiring minds always want to know (who to envy)
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Busy day! - 01/13/18 02:37 PM
ML: That’s the one, except fretless and gloss. I wanted satin, but it wasn’t offered when I placed the order. That’s okay; it will match my Yairi acoustic guitar!

Pat: I don’t have a way to make a video—wanna come down and help? cool

Waiting for an update on the new Behringer Model D synth. It has begun shipping, but there is a looooong list of preorders ahead of me.

Richard
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Busy day! - 01/14/18 09:08 AM

Pat: I don’t have a way to make a video—

what? No cell phone? (I bet Trudy has one with all kinds of cat videos on it already)

Quote:
wanna come down and help?

I'd love to, but I think my wayfarin' days are about over. If NCDOT knew how bad my eyes are, they'd probably revoke my driving license.
© PG Music Forums