PG Music Home
HI Mat
One for Mat, Transposing and non transposing instrument, parts?

Sorry to single you out but I noticed the other day that you produce (print) parts for your Band.
As a matter of interest do you transpose the parts and Key sig to the tuning of their instruments say Bb Eb or are your band members old enough hands to transpose their part on the fly regardless of what key you wrote or print the song in.

Come to that as a horn player do you work in your own instrument key at the composition stage, or in another favourite key then transpose your own part to say you Sax or whatever Key.
I do understand about transposing and non transposing instrument, hence my question.

Obviously at the end of the day you all have to sound in tune no matter what key the individual parts are scored in.
Just wondered what was considered good practice and what happens in the real world, that you live in when you all play live.
Best regards
Mike

Hi Mike.

For any group I’m in, I give them printouts that are transposed for them. I write primarily for small jazz groups but I’ve also written for 20 piece jazz ensemble and 50 piece symphony. I assume all pro players could read concert pitch (either treble or bass clef as appropriate) but I give them parts they don’t have to struggle with.

From the other side, as a composer or arranger, I write exclusively in concert pitch. This may not be the way other horn players work, because I also play flute and use a C trumpet.

Last week, a viola player showed up to play the Christmas service. I had to put his part into alto clef. Not something you see every day.

Does that help?

HI Mat
Thanks very much for your prompt reply.
Really interesting talking to you I am guessing you use a bit more than the BIAB print out facilities .
Especial for things like the alto clef.
Thanks for your time
Mike
Well, I don’t use BIAB for printouts at all. I use a notation program.
HI Mat
Yes I thought you would do.
I some times use Notation composer, works fine for midi.
I did look at one of the heavyweights some years back "Sibelius" but found it hard going,
Regards
Mike
I’ve tried them all and hate parts of every one. Some more than others. I was a beta tester for one program for decades. The perfect notation program does not exist yet.
© PG Music Forums