PG Music Home
I know this forum has some folks that are very computer literate. I thought you might enjoy +++ this article +++ about testing latency of computers ranging from 1977 to 2017.
Posted By: sslechta Re: Computer Latency 1977 Versus 2017 - 01/01/18 10:48 PM
Thanks Jim! I had no idea that was the case on the older Apple 2E machines.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Computer Latency 1977 Versus 2017 - 01/01/18 11:20 PM
I remember my 8088 that ran MS-DOS 3.0 from 5 inch floppy discs and you could press the A key, go upstairs, jump in the car, go get an oil change, stop by the drive through and get 2 burgers, and got home you could eat your lunch and just as you started your second burger the A popped up on the screen! 6 inch amber monochrome monitor, 300 baud dial up modem. Then I bought a Lear-Seigler terminal that had the keyboard and a green CRT tube in a case like what Apple did later. Been quite a journey from there to now with an Inter i7 with 64 gb of RAM, connecting to a wireless modem on another floor to a 10mb down internet connection.... Steve do you remember the internet when it was all text? Man, when I discovered how to telnet to other systems, man that was like the Red Sea parting. I got into ALL kinds of trouble with that. Wrote a dialer program to disk every number in a prefix, and when it found a carrier write the number to a file. The old days!!
Posted By: sslechta Re: Computer Latency 1977 Versus 2017 - 01/01/18 11:23 PM
A lot of bigger IT businesses today are still using telnet to get files. I'm surprised at this with all the ways to get data.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Computer Latency 1977 Versus 2017 - 01/01/18 11:25 PM
Great article Jim. Enjoyed the read. Some interesting data there, for sure.
Posted By: Teunis Re: Computer Latency 1977 Versus 2017 - 01/02/18 05:44 AM
Machines did a lot less to achieve similar. When I first started working in Comms we had 115 baud running teleprinters my last major install had 10 gig to distribution points and some devices with 100 gig in the machine room.

When our first 10 meg hard drive went into a pc we wondered what would need that much space. Times change.
Posted By: rharv Re: Computer Latency 1977 Versus 2017 - 01/02/18 10:16 PM
Originally Posted By: sslechta
A lot of bigger IT businesses today are still using telnet to get files. I'm surprised at this with all the ways to get data.

Sigh .. I still have to update one production router using Telnet
I hope it dies soon, so it gets replaced.
1000+ lines of text to sift thru to update a router .. painful.
But it does require multiple security levels along the way

/All I want to do is open a backdoor port for my IP so I can get in from home if needed. <grin>
© PG Music Forums