PG Music Home
Just upgraded my Superior Drummer 2 to version 3 and am enjoying the new MIDI conversion tool. As far as I was able to tell, EZ Drummer 2 had not yet been upgraded to a version 3.

Superior Drummer 3 - New Tracker MIDI Conversion Tool

So with this new Tracker tab, they have added a new tool that can convert individual drum component multitrack files or a drum kit from a stereo WAV file. Once these are imported into SD3, you can convert them to MIDI and have a lot of different tweaks you can make in order to assure you get the most accurate MIDI data.

First thing I thought on my initial test was to take a RealDrums .WAV file from BIAB/RealBand and import that. I was able to get the Bass Drum and Snare converted over very easily and accurately with no issue. I did run into problems with getting the HiHats converted over. Seems SD3 had a difficult time in figuring out the difference between open and closed hats. You probably have to manually go through the file to mark the open and closed hats to get a good translation, aka "I'm not gonna do that!". smile

So for now, if you want to beef up the bass/snare, it will work excellent! Since this is a new tool for ToonTrack, I imagine it will get better over time.

P.S. - For those that have Celemony's Melodyne tool, they have been able to convert individual drum .WAV files over to MIDI. I used that method last year to import a bad sounding live recorded snare to a MIDI file. I was then able to mix in the MIDI file in SD2 with the existing bad snare (reduced in volume) to get a great overall snare sound.
Very cool feature indeed!

I'm using EZDrummer2 here, just checked and the crossgrade price to SD3 is a whopping $319!
A bit pricey for me. Maybe they will add that tool to the next version of EZDrummer.
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Maybe they will add that tool to the next version of EZDrummer.

Yup, that was the main reason I posted this. It would be a great feature to have on the next version of EZDrummer.

The upgrade from SD2 to SD3 wasn't quite as painful cost-wise.
I have implemented this kind of a thing for many years for free using the KTDrumTrigger vst and some selective bandpass filtering. I have been able to make it work even for ‘beatboxing’. If you google search my username and KTDrumTrigger you will find posts where I describe how to make it work. I never was able to distinguish between open and closed hh either because that is more length of time difference and it drum trigger works off of frequency content primarily
Great info sir... Thanks!
I found the thread at KVR where I did this back in 2005. https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=88341
You are the OG (Original Gangsta) on that.... It's truly amazing how much technology in music software has advanced in the 2000s and beyond.
I’ve not tried it yet. I have SD3 and Melodyne Studio 4.

For this use, I generally fall back n Drumagog as it is so easy.

It’s nice to have alternatives.
© PG Music Forums