PG Music Home
Posted By: HearToLearn Your Take On The Same Song - 01/04/18 05:00 PM
I'm curious if this has ever been suggested here. Has there ever been an attempt to supply lyrics for a song and have forum members work up their own versions of that song?

To clarify, this would not be a "cover" version of a song. It would be original lyrics to a song that has never had music put to it. From there, we would each take the lyrics and make our personal version of it for all to hear.

It might be fun, if enough people would be up for it. Actually, I think it could be really educational too.

Any thoughts?
Posted By: sslechta Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/04/18 05:43 PM
Sounds like a great idea. For me writing lyrics is the most difficult part of the process. If I could skip that and write a song around the lyrics, that would be awesome!
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/04/18 05:47 PM
I think it could be a nice exercise that could demonstrate the range of genres available from Band-in-a-Box and of interest to forum users.

The one pitfall I see is some talented forum members prefer instrumentals to vocals.
Posted By: sslechta Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/04/18 05:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
The one pitfall I see is some talented forum members prefer instrumentals to vocals.

Spoken word to their instrumental? wink
Posted By: MarioD Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/04/18 06:57 PM
Originally Posted By: sslechta
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle

Spoken word to their instrumental? wink

Or maybe have them do a backing track and have someone else do the singing.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/05/18 02:15 AM
I am keen for this idea. It will certainly be interesting to see everybody’s take on the same song. You will probably get a variety of styles and even genres. On FAWM there are sonetimes two versions of the same lyrics but having more would make it even more interesting. Are you thinking of setting it up? You could post the lyrics in the user forum and then everyone could post their versions to the same thread. Great idea!
Posted By: DeaconBlues09 Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/05/18 09:00 AM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
I'm curious if this has ever been suggested here. Has there ever been an attempt to supply lyrics for a song and have forum members work up their own versions of that song?

To clarify, this would not be a "cover" version of a song. It would be original lyrics to a song that has never had music put to it. From there, we would each take the lyrics and make our personal version of it for all to hear.

It might be fun, if enough people would be up for it. Actually, I think it could be really educational too.

Any thoughts?

I was thought this would be an amazing idea! Good job for bringing it up laugh

Editing to add, this would probably work to its best advantage if everyone was supplied with the same vocal stem, and maybe a chord sheet. Finding someone to sing, and sing as you envision it, especially remotely, could be a drag...and this is about composition and framing.
Posted By: RichMac Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/06/18 04:18 AM
I think this would be fun and would like to do it.
With just the lyrics supplied so we get a variety of chord structures and melodies.
Anyone got some lyrics?
Posted By: Samuel Davis Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/06/18 05:39 AM
This could be fun. I love collaborating with talented lyricists. I'm currently working on a song this way right now. I should have it done to share here in a few days. As Dianne stated above, in FAWM and 50/90 many people colaborate in this fashion and sometimes multiple versions of a song are formed from the same lyrics.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/06/18 07:10 AM
I can put together some lyrics...maybe we can get Floyd to look over them and make some tweaks?
Posted By: lambada Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/06/18 09:34 AM
I write lyrics far more often than songs, but still sadly seldom. I just saw this. A bit preachy perhaps, but it's a memory of some poor Filipino kids with their faces pressed against the glass looking in at us eating. I've seen it in China too. It usually ends in me buying them fast food!:-) Go for it, if interested. I'm not even sure if it's finished, so I'm not precious about it.

Interestingly, I found some poetry that was meant to be songs that I can't even remember writing. Too dense for a song, I suspect. I've added them at the end for anyone who wants something to read over an instrumental (as suggested above). Lyrics to cut your wrists to.

Neil

Hungry Eyes

A hungry child looks through the glass
His baby sister holds on fast.
Happy families spending time
Eating, talking, feeling fine.
They look at me with pleading eyes
Watching me pretending not to see.

I ought to care, I shouldn't stare
I need to understand.
But yet I know the awful truth
I've known it all along.
It could be you not seeing me
If life had played out wrong.

Her tattered clothes and lonely face
Hope always finds a place.
His hopeful smile and cheerful gaze
The homeless people never praised.
Never free from poverty and need
Wanting to be me pretending not to see.

I ought to care, I shouldn't stare
I need to understand.
But yet I know the awful truth
I've known it all along.
It could be you not seeing me
If life had played out wrong.

Sadness radiates memories of unremitting pain and madness
Of friends and follies long forgotten eternal in the lives of all who knew.
I loved you true, you frantic fool. I loved your gaiety, young and noble.
I waited. A young man, his time revealed, now old I revel in my past long gone.
Amidst the petticoats and drinking glasses, his laugh, her smile, their nod surreal.
Staggering in the darkness, together bound through gratitude and vanity.
Dark flesh, warm skin, loneliness abates momentarily the eternal emptiness.
And so I go unknown, except by time alone, only to return the wiser perhaps?

I look upon your lonely corpse. Where is my love?
The soft, brown, earth, the sensual curve,
The warmth, of loving arms entwined,
Bodies lost in mindless play.
I feel that haunting, desperation
Two souls connected, together whole, never to be more.

I am cold,
Oh lonely fish.
Swimming alone in the sea of humanity
Happy, conscious that all is nothing, and nothing is real
Except for you, my love, my world
My life, my everything
My wife.

Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/06/18 10:41 AM
Here is a set of lyrics I have just written to a love song called "The paradox of you". I think it may be suited to a variety of styles.

Listening to the pouring rain
I know the sun will come
Light from dark dry from wet
When wintertime is done

I see myself as the earth
And you the vast blue sky
Sometimes I keep you grounded
And you just let me fly

Chorus
I love it when we talk
I love the silence too
I love the yin and yang of life
The paradox of you

You are my harmony
the balance that I find
through the windows of my days
In corners of my mind

Sometimes you are the roots
growing in the night
Sometimes I am the leaves
bathing in your light

Chorus
I love it when we talk
I love the silence too
The paradox of you

Bridge
In and out, hot and cold
Fear and courage, young and old
Good and bad, salty sweet
Up and down, messy neat

Chorus
I love it when we talk
I love the silence too
The paradox of you
Posted By: lambada Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/06/18 10:51 AM
Nice Joanne grin
Posted By: MarioD Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/06/18 12:42 PM
Originally Posted By: DeaconBlues09

I was thought this would be an amazing idea! Good job for bringing it up laugh

Editing to add, this would probably work to its best advantage if everyone was supplied with the same vocal stem, and maybe a chord sheet. Finding someone to sing, and sing as you envision it, especially remotely, could be a drag...and this is about composition and framing.

I respectfully disagree about the vocal stem and chords. Using a these could limit one's imagination. I think we should agree on a set of lyrics and let everyone version be different, i.e. no boundaries except for the lyrics, i.e. they must be used. YMMV
Posted By: sslechta Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/06/18 02:51 PM
Same here Mario. Just the lyrics and whatever music any of us could come up with.
Posted By: rharv Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/06/18 03:14 PM
Yeah, this is what would make it interesting to me.
Use the lyrics only is the main rule. No chords/structure.

As a side note, I don't think we should be limited to using BiaB for everything.
If using RB would be an option, I'd be more even enticed.
Maybe the rule 'you have to use PGMusic products in the project' as a requirement (?)
/Or some part(s) of the project need to be generated.

Complex part: Selecting a set of lyrics that could fit in many different genres.
This would expand the possibilities and maybe even make it fun to try/submit a few different styles/genres.

Once defined, I think this could be a hugely successful idea.
And just as huge of an opportunity for PGMusic. <wink>
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/06/18 03:18 PM
I would also have a go, as long as the lyrics are somewhat defined.

Maybe, we can vote on 1 song lyric out of a 3 song list?

I will keep checking this thread for updates.

Sounds exciting !

Trax
Posted By: MarioD Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/06/18 06:34 PM
Originally Posted By: rharv
As a side note, I don't think we should be limited to using BiaB for everything.
If using RB would be an option, I'd be more even enticed.
Maybe the rule 'you have to use PGMusic products in the project' as a requirement (?)
/Or some part(s) of the project need to be generated.

Complex part: Selecting a set of lyrics that could fit in many different genres.
This would expand the possibilities and maybe even make it fun to try/submit a few different styles/genres.

Once defined, I think this could be a hugely successful idea.
And just as huge of an opportunity for PGMusic. <wink>

I agree as virtually all of my songs start in BiaB but are immediately taken to my 64 bit DAW. If we are restricted to BiaB/RB only then I wouldn't join.

Showing how BiaB works in all environments would be a very good selling point for PGMusic IMHO. Maybe we should list what we used such as DAW, VSTis etc.
Posted By: RichMac Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/08/18 07:44 PM
Hi Joanne.
I like 'the paradox of you'.
Have a version on the way.
Hope that's ok.
Cheers.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/08/18 11:00 PM
Wonderful Richard. Can’t wait to hear if!
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/08/18 11:42 PM
Just a quick update. I've been watching the comments and just sort seeing where they were going.

Joanne, and Lambada...very generous to offer your lyrics. I'm working on something behind the scenes that should be a good thing. I will let you know fairly soon on this.

As far as limitations, I think as long as you are using PG Music products, you're fine. I don't think it has to be exclusive as that wasn't the point. The point was simply to all have the same basic starting point and seeing our where our interpretations of that starting point can take us.

I hope you would all understand that I am very impressed with what is being written on this forum. It's fun, and impressive to witness.

Now, I would like to know that no one is excluded. If after the lyrics are provided someone would like to do an instrument, please do! You could either just make a melody line (with lyric shown or not) or have the lyrics simply be the inspiration for the song. Whatever floats your boat baby.

If someone does want to offer a vocal for people who would prefer to write to a melody, I have no problem with that.

Overall, I am hoping to have enough people submit their own full song, providing original vocals, music and production. But as I stated, ALL are welcome! smile

I have, on occasion, felt some writers don't frequent this part of the forums. If you know of someone who is writing for the showcase that would possibly miss this post, please invite them.

You all are seriously the best. I'm very hopeful for this project and feel it's a great kick off to 2018!
Posted By: sslechta Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/09/18 09:39 AM
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Hi Joanne.

I like this lyric too Joanne. I have a song mostly ready to go with a melody line that should not need too much tweaking for your lyrics. I was just hung up on writing my own lyrics. I will also be stress testing Melodyne with my vocals. grin
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/09/18 09:50 AM
Hi Joanne.

I like this lyric too Joanne. I have a song mostly ready to go with a melody line that should not need too much tweaking for your lyrics. I was just hung up on writing my own lyrics. I will also be stress testing Melodyne with my vocals. grin

Wonderful Steve. Look forward to hearing it! Edited to add. I am also busy on a version smile
Posted By: sslechta Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/09/18 10:03 AM
Great! This will be fun!
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/09/18 04:16 PM
Steve and Rich. I have posted a very experimental version of Paradox of You in the user showcase so I suggest you don't listen to it until you have your versions recorded or firmly in your head.......otherwise we may have three versions that all sound the same smile
Posted By: sslechta Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/09/18 04:38 PM
LOL..... I already posted the same thing on the other thread before I saw this. Doh!
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/10/18 06:03 AM
Great! This will be fun!

Please feel free to change the lyrics in anyway you see fit.
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/10/18 11:13 AM
I wasn't sure how to address any of this, in all honesty because I wasn't sure what I wanted to say. lol

So what I know I do want to say in NO particular order...

Thank you to those who were willing to offer their lyrics for us to use. I can't tell you how cool I think that is!

Joanne's lyrics, it sounds like, have been chosen be several to run with. So I think that is the set of lyrics we will use for this time. smile

This time? YES! There is NO reason this has to be a one time thing. I'm really hoping this could be an on going thing; even if it's every so often smile

I talked with someone about submitting lyrics that I believe will be providing some. They should be lyrics that will work well in multiple genres. ALWAYS a good thing. It's hard to sing a 50's song with lyrics about being "in Da Hood." wink

I am REALLY excited to hear the songs from "round 1." You all are awesomely creative; and that's exciting to me.

It might be a little bit for my submission, to say it's a busy time of year would be an understatement. That being said, I'm pumped to give it shot.

I'm just trying to decide a style to attempt this in...
Island (Jimmy Buffet, some Zac Brown Band)
Numetal (Nickelback, Theory of a Deadman)
Chart Pop (Imagine Dragons, Charlie Puth
Current Country (Luke Combs, Blake Shelton)

I'm leaning towards Numetal as I haven't heard that here, I don't believe. I think BIAB could do it...have to research a bit more.

Thanks for jumping on this everyone. I was surprised how fast this got running! smile
Posted By: sslechta Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/10/18 11:39 AM
Awesome HTL. I'm going with some sort of odd rock vibe. I like this challenge as I'm lyrically challenged normally. I work a full time day job so I don't anticipate having anything up the User Showcase for at least a week.
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/10/18 11:55 AM
Hey Steve, I have to admit, every time you mention you're lyrically challenged it surprises me. You are SO articulate on the forums! I'm always impressed with how you word things. I am learning though, that online conversation and lyric writing are TOTALLY different words. wink

The good news though...lyrics provided! Right?

I can't wait to hear what you do with this. AND...your melodyne comment didn't go unnoticed; I just forgot to comment about it. I got a good chuckle out of that one! I feel if I had to sing for my supper, I would eat REALLY well. Not because I'm a great singer, but because they would do anything to get me to stop singing. grin

I'm glad it will take a week with your version. Personally, I think it's cool to be able to post it whenever. Maybe someone will join the forum next week, be here a few months and say "Hey, I saw this and put this together for all of you to take a listen to." Cool by me!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/10/18 12:02 PM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
..............your melodyne comment didn't go unnoticed; I just forgot to comment about it. I got a good chuckle out of that one! I feel if I had to sing for my supper, I would eat REALLY well. Not because I'm a great singer, but because they would do anything to get me to stop singing. grin

Every time I use Melodyne I get this error message "Shut your pie hole and just play your guitar"!
Posted By: sslechta Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/10/18 12:05 PM
Mine says, "Sorry, that note does not compute, please try again.". LOL
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/10/18 12:47 PM
Mine says "Here is a link to a free 30 day trial of Autotune. Please tell everyone that is what you're using. We could use the business."
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/10/18 12:59 PM
BTW, Steve and Mario...your comments both gave me a pretty good chuckle this morning. Thanks for that!
Posted By: RichMac Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/12/18 06:51 AM
Hi HTL.

Thanks for the idea.
I thoroughly enjoyed the exercise.
It's a sort of relief not to have to battle with the lyrics and just be able to get on with the song.

Cheers.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/12/18 08:08 AM
Hi HTL.

Thanks for the idea.
I thoroughly enjoyed the exercise.
It's a sort of relief not to have to battle with the lyrics and just be able to get on with the song.

Cheers.

Wonderful Rich. I also like using other people's lyrics and often do that in the FAWMN community where plenty of people offer up their lyrics for other to set to music
Posted By: MarioD Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/12/18 12:20 PM
I have the lyrics and hope to start on the song in a couple of days. Are we just going to post the song or is someone going to collect them and post them all at once? Curious minds want to know!
Posted By: sslechta Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/12/18 12:30 PM
Looks like so far, each person has been posting in the User Showcase with a new post of the same title.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/12/18 06:27 PM
Looks like so far, each person has been posting in the User Showcase with a new post of the same title.

Thanx. I haven't been to the User Showcase is quite a while.
Posted By: sslechta Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/12/18 06:37 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD

NP. To get there, scroll to the top of this page and click "Forum List".

Then from there, click on the "User Showcase" forum as shown in the attachment. grin

Description: HOW TO NAVIGATE TO THE USER SHOWCASE
Attached picture Untitled.png
Posted By: MarioD Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/12/18 08:18 PM

Then from there, click on the "User Showcase" forum as shown in the attachment. grin

Thanx. This was a LOLer!

Great post!
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/12/18 08:28 PM

Ok the joke was funny in and of itself. That you took the time to screen shot and make an illustration REALLY sold it. THAT was funny!
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/12/18 09:17 PM
+1 Still laughing! smile
Posted By: sslechta Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/12/18 11:10 PM
I'm here all night......
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/16/18 01:02 PM
Just checking in to see who is planning on submitting their version of the song still? There's no time limit really, just curious. smile
Posted By: sslechta Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/16/18 01:14 PM
HTL, I tracked vocals (tried to) yesterday. Lesson I learned from not being a singer: Work a little more on finding your range before committing your song/instrumentation to a key. I wrote this in C Major and should have brought it up to one of the D or E keys. Some of the lowest notes on the verses were very difficult to hit and sounded like more of a moan than a note...... Haha.

Needless to say, I want to try and get my mix up by the end of the week.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/16/18 03:44 PM
I am currently working on a version. Note that I have not listened to others submissions yet. I will wait until mine is posted. I do not want to be influenced and/or discouraged!
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/17/18 08:10 AM
Versions submitted so far

(Warning... if you are planning your own version DONT listen to these first)

Richmacs version

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=450570#Post450570

Mario’s version
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=451620#Post451620

My version
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=450119#Post450119
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/18/18 10:01 PM
I have the music finished, just need to do a vocal or two.

Trax
Posted By: sslechta Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/18/18 10:08 PM
That's great Trax! I think I've said I'll be ready in a few days a few times now.
Posted By: PeterF Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/19/18 02:51 AM
Hi,
I just posted a version in the User Showcase.

Peter
Posted By: sslechta Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/19/18 09:58 AM
Adding Peter!

1) Experiment with new video Tracks feature in BIAB 2018 - Paradox of You - JoanneCooper
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=450119#Post450119

2) Paradox of You (Joanne's Lyrics) - RichMac
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=450570#Post450570

3) The Paradox of You - MarioD
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=451620#Post451620

4) The Paradox Of You #4 - jannesan
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=451989#Post451989

5) The Paradox Of You v5 - PeterF
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=452137#Post452137
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/20/18 12:24 AM
I passed on this for all this time without even reading the post because of the way the post was titled. "The same song" made it sound like you wanted people to cover an existing song. It's a poem until it has music behind it. So I took Joanne's poem and worked up music for it. I'll sing it Saturday and find a way to upload it, as I no longer have a Soundcloud account.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/21/18 01:11 PM
I respectfully disagree about the vocal stem and chords. Using a these could limit one's imagination.

Absolutely correct. It's like asking a guitar player "Now give me a solo that is totally different from that one". Once you have something in your head anything that follows will be variations on a theme. (And not the one by Eric Satie....)

I did one and it should be up Monday. I sent it to Joanne and she will post it. I did not listen to any of the other takes before I wrote mine.

Also, I checked with Joanne and there is no prize for the winner, so....
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/22/18 09:18 AM
Hello,

I just posted 6th version in the User Showcase.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: sslechta Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/22/18 10:44 AM
Added Shigeki, Eddie, David Snyder, HTL...

1) Experiment with new video Tracks feature in BIAB 2018 - Paradox of You - JoanneCooper

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=451989#Post451989

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=452137#Post452137

6) “The Paradox Of You” 6th version - animarorecords
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=452803#Post452803

7) Paradox - My take - I think this is V7 - eddie1261
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=452855#Post452855

8) Paradox of You_All Hail the King Elvis Version - David Snyder
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=452983#Post452983

9) Paradox Of You IX - HearToLearn
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=453185#Post453185
Posted By: sslechta Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/27/18 12:03 AM
10 versions now.... Do we have any more coming?

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=452803#Post452803

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=452855#Post452855

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=452983#Post452983

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=453185#Post453185

10) Finally!!!! The Paradox of You - VERSION 10 (My 1st Submission to the User Showcase)
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=453914#Post453914
Posted By: Samuel Davis Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/29/18 03:26 AM
I have one in the works. Hopefully will be done real soon. Just have to lay down the vocals.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/29/18 04:14 AM
Wonderful Samuel. Can’t wait to hear it.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/29/18 06:27 AM
Joanne,

I want to congratulate you on the huge amount of inspiration that you've given Users' Showcase. The number of different songs that have been written to showcase your lyrics has been extraordinary. Your words have really struck the right chord with everyone.

It's two happy and enthusiastic thumbs up from me!

All the best
Noel
Posted By: sslechta Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/29/18 06:56 AM
Yes, what Noel said. Not sure I would have got off my lazy butt and made a song otherwise.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/29/18 07:17 AM
Thanks Noel and steve. It really has been an awesome experience (and experiment) and one definitely to be repeated... Noel would you care to drop some of your awesome lyrics for the next one. smile
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/29/18 07:41 AM
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
Thanks Noel and steve. It really has been an awesome experience (and experiment) and one definitely to be repeated... Noel would you care to drop some of your awesome lyrics for the next one. smile

Joanne,

That sounds like fun.

I don't know about awesome lyrics, but if people want see if average lyrics can inspire them... I'll come up with something. It won't be for a week or so because I'm tied up with starting a new school year at the moment. I'll definitely give it a shot. I'm looking forward to it in fact.

Thank you for suggesting it!
Noel
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/29/18 08:20 AM
Wonderful Noel!
Posted By: sslechta Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/29/18 11:11 AM
Originally Posted By: Samuel Davis
I have one in the works. Hopefully will be done real soon. Just have to lay down the vocals.

Awesome Sam! Looking forward to it.
Posted By: Samuel Davis Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/29/18 12:44 PM
Just posted my version in the User Showcase. Here's the link.

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=454369&#Post454369
Posted By: sslechta Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/29/18 12:51 PM
Awesome..... Here's the revised list:

10) The Paradox of You - VERSION 10 - Steve Slechta
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=453914#Post453914

11) The Paradox Of You - Version XI - Samuel Davis
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=454369&#Post454369
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/29/18 01:32 PM
This really has been a good experiment to see how 11 different people have 11 completely different ideas on a lyric and can turn out 11 such widely diverse songs with them.
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/29/18 02:03 PM
I agree it's been fun, enlightening, and I think brought the forum a little closer.

I have to admit I found Joanne's lyrics a stretch for me. They are not at all how I think when writing. To me, that was what made it great though. It stretched my way, perhaps a rut, in thinking. I feel the need to do that. Otherwise life can get mechanical and boring.

So, I am very thankful to Joanne for offering her lyrics. I'm she has experienced a feeling different than the rest of us has; because she got to hear all the versions as the AUTHOR of those lyrics. I would be curious how that felt smile

My hope is that this continues on the forums. With enough talented lyricists and musicians, we should be good to go.

I did have a fear that some might feel obligated; but I don't see that as having happened. Actually, as Steve mentioned, it got some of us to do something we probably wouldn't have.

So thanks for participating, even if it was just giving a listen. I want to believe some perspective and maybe even inspiration was gained from this.

BTW, this doesn't mean this particular song is done by any means. I think it would be cool to think there may be versions of this song that will come along from forum members that don't even belong yet. How cool would that be?

Anyway, great job everyone. I had a blast!
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/29/18 02:32 PM
HTL I am absolutely delighted how this experiment turned out. Everyone has had a their own unique interpretation.

When I wrote the lyrics I tried to think of something as generic as possible. A lyric that could be taken in any direction and indeed it has done just that. We even saw Steve with his very first submission and Mario who seldom sings! And who could forget to vocaloid version.

I would obviously still love to hear others on this lyric but am also keen for another challenge...

Looking forward to more.
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Your Take On The Same Song - 01/30/18 10:29 AM
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
HTL I am absolutely delighted how this experiment turned out. Everyone has had a their own unique interpretation.

When I wrote the lyrics I tried to think of something as generic as possible. A lyric that could be taken in any direction and indeed it has done just that. We even saw Steve with his very first submission and Mario who seldom sings! And who could forget to vocaloid version.

I would think it's got to be a rush hearing all of these people, from around the world, making music to YOUR lyrics. smile

Quote:
I would obviously still love to hear others on this lyric but am also keen for another challenge...

Looking forward to more.

Indeed! More of BOTH sounds great to me.

I'm so glad you were delighted. Thanks for help in this. It went from an idea to actually happening pretty darn fast!
© PG Music Forums