PG Music Home
"Indian River Magazine" is a local 3 county thick, glossy, magazine and the winter 2018 annual "Best Of The Treasure Coast" editions features of the best of the 3 county area, Indian River County, St Lucie County, and Martin County. It's called "The Treasure Coast" because a number of Spanish Galleon ships loaded with "new world" treasure shipwrecked here during the conquistador era.

We got a 3 page write up.

We hate the first picture though. The orange and white stage lighting makes Leilani look old and ghostly. The photographer wanted to do it over, but he died of a heart attack so the mag published it anyway. The last photo looks more like her.

Me? I'm really that ugly.

Anyway it's a sweet write up, a couple of minor errors, but they were rushing to get it published.

If interested, here it is:

http://www.nortonmusic.com/pix/IndianRiverMag.pdf

Since it hit the stands, we've had some gig bookings, so that's a good thing.

Notes
Great article about a talented and good-looking couple! You've earned every bit of your success!
It is always nice to have a good write up in a local newspaper, been there. It makes you free great.

Notes, you two deserve all the accolades that come your way. Keep on playing and helping people with MIDI problems or misconceptions.
Congrats for the publicity! Well deserved. Love the old school pictures too.
cool! enjoyed the article and the photos.
cheers.
Excellent article, Notes.

It's great to see that a band such as yours has been able to adapt and keep delivering over such a long period of time.
Loved the article.
Great feature piece, Bob.

Is that a VanDoren mouthpiece?
Nice!!! My only publicity was on the wall at the post office....

We had a guy here who had a huge line of t-shirt shops. Had to have 30-35 stores. His name was Dan Gray and he went by Daffy Dan. The shorts all had a DD on the left sleeve, and the slogan was "If it ddesn't have DD on the sleeve, it's just underwear."

He has that same bushy mustache Notes has. I can't look at Notes and not see Daffy. Daffy has a lot more up top, but that mustache... I've known Daffy for over 40 years now. Quite a businessman. Just like Notes.

Take a look. Am I right?

Notes totally reminds me of this guy!

Nice article and photos. The smiles are the same after all the years. It must be true it's not work if you love what you do...

Carnival Cruise Lines - I played for several years with a singer/guitarist after he retired from 20 years working cruise lines, most with Carnival if I remember correctly. You guys may have crossed paths - small world.
Well done Bob. What a great article!
Thanks for all the kind words.

Matt, that's an Otto Link mouthpiece.

Eddie, if Daffy Dan looks like me, he must be a lucky guy laugh

Thanks again,
Notes
Oh, I love those old metal Otto Links. The old fat sound. Nice.
So nice you and your wife could have a life of love and music. I'm sure it's been fulfilling and beautiful. What a nice article.
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Oh, I love those old metal Otto Links. The old fat sound. Nice.

It's an 8* with the NY chamber. Big sound for rock and blues. I've got a hard rubber 6 which works well for jazz (slightly Getz-ish) but it's been decades since I've had it on either of my saxes. I used to have a Link designed Babbitt for my alto, but a repairman broke it while replacing a cork. Too bad because they have become collectors items.

The sax is a MacSax Classic (Austin TX) and it's a custom build for me (Taiwan). As far as I know there are at least two others who liked mine so much that they got the Notes Norton Model.

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
It's great to see that a band such as yours has been able to adapt and keep delivering over such a long period of time.

It's called survival of the fittest (those that can adapt).

I've always figured that if you are lucky enough to be on the bandstand long enough, the people will tell you what they want to hear.

When we started "The Sophisticats" we targeted the then old person's market because we could do songs from "The Great American Songbook", by Harold Arlen, Duke Ellington, Jimmy Van Heusen, Richard Rogers, etc. We'd mix our favorites with their favorites like the Glenn Miller, Isham Jones etc. But before long the new members started asking for Elvis era songs, then Beatles. Fast forward to now and it's Clapton with a few contemporary cross-overs.

On our weekly Tuesday gig we get a wide variety of people, so we can play a little light jazz, lots of oldies, classic rock, some Caribbean (both Latin and Afro), a bit of country, a decent dose of blues, a tad disco, a bit of Broadway, and anything else that comes to mind. It's nice to be able to put on different musical 'hats' and go from a Reggae song to a Standard to a Rock song or whatever and don the attitude that each one need to be expressed properly.

BTW, since the issue is "The Best Of The Treasure Coast" and we are the only band in it, we have had a lot of people come to see us that are new faces, a few additional bookings, and a couple of dozen people asking us to autograph our picture in the article (which was totally unexpected).

The two venues mentioned in the article got additional business due to their mention, and that's good for job security. But we've done the marina for 10 years now and the resort for 3 or 4 so I'm not really worried about job security, but I know that whatever is good for these venues is also good for us.

Thanks again for all the kind words.

Notes
BTW, how do you like how the interviewer understood my Band-in-a-Box biz.

"He creates track fragments through a music processor and sells them..."

Not bad for a concise explanation of style writing for BiaB when filtered through the brain of a non-musician journalist.

Notes
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton

Yes, I did have to do more than one take on that. Sounds like you use some sort of organ-grinder, eh? grin

Attached picture 2018-02-01_09-11-41.jpg
Bob,
Great article. Congrats. Thanks for posting the link.
Thanks Peter

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton

Yes, I did have to do more than one take on that. Sounds like you use some sort of organ-grinder, eh? grin

I tried to explain in general terms, she took notes, but I guess it's difficult for a complete non-musician to get what writing styles for BiaB is all about.

Of course, all my musician friends know about it, and quite a few music hobbyists who have talked to us after the show know about it. I get their e-mail addresses, explain all about BiaB and send them to PG Music where a number of them have bought the program and a few styles from me as well.

But to Pattie, BiaB is some kind of music processor that she doesn't understand. But then, there is a lot about being a journalist that I don't understand.

Notes
This is great, nice one Notes!

Cheers
Kent
PG Music
Thanks, Kent.
That is wonderful Notes, I hope you guys are as proud as you should be.

PS: And well deserved.

Later,
Thanks Danny.

Yes we're proud. And amazingly people are coming up and asking us to autograph their copies. It's like being a 'pretend star' to us.

Plus the publicity has brought us new regular audience members and some new gigs.

We are fortunate to be in the "Best Of..." edition. That carries a lot of weight and makes for good publicity.

Every night on the gig I think I'm so lucky to be able to do this for a living. I have no plans to retire, and will keep gigging as long as I can find an audience, and right now that isn't a problem.

Notes
Nice write-up!
Nice article now being read around the globe. It also lets some of us newer folk know a little more about who you are. Well done Bob.

Tony
Congratulations! This is awesome news, and a well written article to boot smile
Thanks y'all.

Making a living doing music and nothing but music has brought be daily enjoyment, the biggest of which I ended up marrying. Now we share the pleasures of doing a life of music.

I think it's Joseph Campbell that told people to follow their bliss.

I didn't read that quote before I decided to make music my vocation, but it sure rings true.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Notes
© PG Music Forums