PG Music Home
Posted By: Trygve Larsen Free PDF Fakebooks - 02/07/18 12:12 AM
I was googling for free PDF fakebooks and came across this one; https://archive.org/details/TheCommercialMusicFakebook1

And was thinking this might be of interest for more of you guys... crazy
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Free PDF Fakebooks - 02/07/18 04:33 AM
Trygve,

Thank you for the link. That's really kind of you.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: CeeBee Re: Free PDF Fakebooks - 02/07/18 06:06 AM
Great find, thanks. I enjoyed looking through the pop/rock book. It clears up some of the mystery behind the old 60s mumbled lyrics. "Get it on, Bang a gong" grin
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Free PDF Fakebooks - 02/07/18 08:10 AM
Great link, many thanks!
Posted By: lambada Re: Free PDF Fakebooks - 02/07/18 08:12 AM
Sinbad, I grew up on TRex. I still love his nonsensical lyrics. Oozing 70's sensuality and seems so harmless now.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Free PDF Fakebooks - 02/07/18 09:46 AM
Wow...
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Free PDF Fakebooks - 02/07/18 10:42 AM
Great find. Thanks for posting.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Free PDF Fakebooks - 02/07/18 01:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle

Great find yes but CAN THIS BE LEGAL?

Those fake books are still for sale while this site is giving them away.

I'm very skeptical of sites like this. Illegal DLs can lead to tons of computer problems via hidden trojans, malware, spyware and the like. YMMV
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Free PDF Fakebooks - 02/07/18 01:47 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD

I'm very skeptical of sites like this. Illegal DLs can lead to tons of computer problems via hidden trojans, malware, spyware and the like. YMMV

Mario,

The site is legal. It's the same non profit that provides the internet "Wayback machine". The print function has been disabled in the pdf files so a user can not download the pdf and print out a copy. +++ HERE +++ is the "About" page for the site.

Good question and good practice to ask the question. It's a lot better to be wary than to get malware or trojans.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Free PDF Fakebooks - 02/07/18 01:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Originally Posted By: MarioD

Mario,

The site is legal. It's the same non profit that provides the internet "Wayback machine". The print function has been disabled in the pdf files so a user can not download the pdf and print out a copy. +++ HERE +++ is the "About" page for the site.

Good question and good practice to ask the question. It's a lot better to be wary than to get malware or trojans.

Thanx Jim for clearing this up.

{edit} - FWIW - I was able to DL a PDF jazz book and print out a song. Thus, at least here, the print option is available allowing individuals to pirate songs. Note that I tossed the song I DLed, i.e. I do not steal. YMMV
Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: Free PDF Fakebooks - 02/07/18 03:00 PM
Since you brought it up a related item - indices of songs to most fakebooks

1) a master index of Real Book 1, 2, The New Real Book (Sher Music) 1,2,3, and the Standards Real Book

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:jdN5ffODUPYJ:getreitel.com/com/music/realindex/real_index2.pdf+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca&client=firefox-b-1

(there is a PDF link at top of that page), and

2) Then three is the on-line searchable index of ALL (except the OP listed one)

https://www.seventhstring.com/fbindex.html

so if you need the basics of almost any tune, mainly standards and jazz, you can probably find which book to look in. Just remember FB's have mistakes and sometimes there are much better chords, chord substitutions and extensions ("color") than given in the FB.

Larry
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Free PDF Fakebooks - 02/07/18 05:44 PM
I'm with Mariod on this one you don't normally see a torrent d/load on a legit site...?
© PG Music Forums