PG Music Home
Posted By: eddie1261 You can only pick one - 02/10/18 01:40 PM
This is a fun thing I have done on other forums, but never in a place that is music based like this one. I have found the answers interesting and based largely on age and geographic location.

Tomorrow is the apocalypse. Starting tomorrow you will live out your life in an underground shelter. Your only entertainment will be every album made by ONE band. Not including members who went off and did a solo project while the band was still alive, just by that one band in full. Who is your band?

When I was first asked this question many years ago, I didn't even have to think and I still don't. It would be The Beatles for me.

How about you?
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: You can only pick one - 02/10/18 02:09 PM
Tower of Power.

Bob
Posted By: musiclover Re: You can only pick one - 02/10/18 02:10 PM
Got to be the Eagles, with things that bad I would definitely need some easy listening to calm me down.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: You can only pick one - 02/10/18 02:37 PM
Ivan Lins.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: You can only pick one - 02/10/18 02:52 PM
The Ventures. Over the years a large pile of records were pressed on multiple labels with the Ventures name as the artist. I use to buy their current offerings from the music store and "classic" offerings from the cut out bin found featured in many department stores back in the day.
Posted By: raymb1 Re: You can only pick one - 02/10/18 02:58 PM
John Coltrane Quartet:
John Coltrane
McCoy Tyner
Jimmy Garrison
Elvin Jones
Posted By: rharv Re: You can only pick one - 02/10/18 02:58 PM
Because I'd want a wide range of music I'd go with Yes.
Though I would have also considered Bowie and some others.
The range of stuff they did is impressive.
The creativeness and performance even more so.

I'm a musician at heart and learned so many things from listening to and studying their music, they were a big influence on me in my early years.

From 'Time and a Word' to 'Close to the Edge' to 'Owner of a Lonely Heart' .. and so many others in between.

I like the other choices mentioned previously, but I'd have to go with Yes.
Posted By: sslechta Re: You can only pick one - 02/10/18 03:28 PM
Prince.... Huge discography, wide variety of styles in his collection.
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: You can only pick one - 02/10/18 04:45 PM
Def The Beatles. Plenty of variety. Excellent music.

Put another way, what band could you not accept never hearing again? Again, The Beatles!
Posted By: MarioD Re: You can only pick one - 02/10/18 09:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
The Ventures. Over the years a large pile of records were pressed on multiple labels with the Ventures name as the artist. I use to buy their current offerings from the music store and "classic" offerings from the cut out bin found featured in many department stores back in the day.

I'm with Jim. It would be all of my Venture albums, one of the most versatile bands ever.
Posted By: CeeBee Re: You can only pick one - 02/11/18 04:57 AM
The Beatles.
Great music, lots of variety, something to suit any mood, in a nutshell, music for the rest of time. smile
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: You can only pick one - 02/13/18 12:21 PM
Oooh this is a tough one for me! A couple that come to mind are Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Radiohead, and The Beatles. I name these few because of the variety in their discography. Not to mention I don't think I could get tired of albums like OK Computer, Animals, or Sgt. Peppers.

Great question - I'd love to hear other's thoughts on this smile
Posted By: Callie - PG Music Re: You can only pick one - 02/13/18 01:49 PM
Led Zeppelin.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: You can only pick one - 02/13/18 02:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Callie - PG Music
Led Zeppelin.

Yeah, me too! wink
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: You can only pick one - 02/13/18 02:21 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Led Zeppelin.

Yeah, me too! wink

You are from Ontario and didn't pick Rush? Interesting.
Posted By: Callie - PG Music Re: You can only pick one - 02/13/18 02:24 PM
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Led Zeppelin.

Yeah, me too! wink

You are from Ontario and didn't pick Rush? Interesting.

Born and raised in Beautiful British Columbia! Grew up in a Cowboy Town... didn't let that influence my musical taste too much wink
Posted By: jford Re: You can only pick one - 02/13/18 02:47 PM
Definitely Chicago for me. Huge catalog and a lot of great music. Heck, I'd be happy to pare it down to a single album (albeit a double album) with Chicago II. It "makes me smile".
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: You can only pick one - 02/13/18 03:07 PM
My initial thought was Led Zepplin....

so much really good stuff there .... from their early blues stuff to their rocking later years. And.... Kashmire..... wow.... that one song might carry you through the EOTWAWKI.

The big question in SHTF is... are you going to have the electrical power to play the music?

After all, the apocalypse is kind of an "all bets are off" situation.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: You can only pick one - 02/13/18 03:17 PM
If I had to live the rest of my life with the music of one band, I wouldn't just want something that I really enjoyed. I would want something I could study that would provide an endless challenge. For example, all the albums of Bill Evans (the pianist, not the sax player I know). Or Brazil's greatest living composer, Ivan Lins. You'd want something to take your mind off life in the shelter, especially when the beer ran out.
Posted By: jford Re: You can only pick one - 02/13/18 03:56 PM
Eddie didn't say anything about the beer running out. smile
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: You can only pick one - 02/13/18 05:51 PM
True dat.
Posted By: MarioD Re: You can only pick one - 02/13/18 07:26 PM
Originally Posted By: jford

Beer will be running out!

Hell no I won't go!
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: You can only pick one - 02/13/18 09:09 PM
Geeze. Beer ran out for me in 1994!! What will I do in the shelter??

As long as I have Celestial Seasonings gingerbread spice tea..... Or raspberry zinger. Then I could picture myself on a boat on a river, with tangerine trees and marmalade skies....
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: You can only pick one - 02/13/18 09:46 PM
If the beer doesn’t run out, then it really doesn’t matter much what music is playing.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: You can only pick one - 02/13/18 10:17 PM
If there is to much beer, the bomb shelter will end up with a bunch of guys yelling SKYNARRRRRRRRD!!!!"
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: You can only pick one - 02/14/18 02:01 AM
I can’t do it. Just the thought of this saddens me.
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: You can only pick one - 02/14/18 11:34 AM
The Cleveland Orchestra

I can listen to a great symphony hundreds of times and still find something new the composer put in there. The Cleveland is one of the finest orchestras in the world, they have had some fine conductors, and enough CDs and LPs to last a person a lifetime.

My second choice would be the Czech Philharmonic.

Notes
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: You can only pick one - 02/14/18 12:13 PM
Great choices, Bob, and great reasons.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: You can only pick one - 02/14/18 01:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
The Cleveland Orchestra

I can listen to a great symphony hundreds of times and still find something new the composer put in there. The Cleveland is one of the finest orchestras in the world, they have had some fine conductors, and enough CDs and LPs to last a person a lifetime.

And I get to LIVE here!!! Seen them dozens of times.

We have an outdoor venue here called Blossom Music Center. They do a few shows there in summer. (The one for July 4th is probably already sold out.) The pavilion holds 5700, and the lawn will hold 13.500 more. One summer long ago, had to be late 70s because Lorin left in 1982, they performed my favorite piece, Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik. I had a complete score of that piece, so big it fit into a suitcase. So I went, with my blanket and suitcase. I grabbed a spot on the lawn and spread out my blanket, opened the suitcase and took out this accordion pleated looking pile of paper and got ready to follow along as they performed it. Of course people were looking at me like I was crazy. (But to be honest, they look at me like that no matter what the circumstances.) Lorin Maazel tapped is baton, and we were off. As they played, I followed along on the score, kind of keeping time with my head. There was a woman behind me and to my right watching. Eventually she moved down closer and was watching, so I started to follow along with my finger. (This score was printed out in such detail that it had 2 measures per page, 16 staves.) She sat through the entire performance. It runs what, 1 hr 15 minutes? Then they would break and come out and play shorter excerpts rather than a whole second symphony. But during that break she started asking me questions, like "You really know what all this stuff means, don't you?" And I just laughed and told her "Just follow the dots. When the dots go upward, so does the pitch." and shared with her one of the quotes attributed to Mozart. "The notes are all thee. You just have to put them in order."

That woman then made the comment how she always wanted to take piano lessons, to which I replied, TRYING not to sound snarky, "And why haven't you? The only one holding you back is you." I was like 28-29 then and she was probably 43-45. Then we chatted some and she asked about me and music and I told her I played in a band and all that yada yada. She knew of the band I was in then. About 8 months later she showed up at a gig. She said that the NEXT DAY she signed up for music lessons and had been playing for however long that gap was.

Sometimes people are their own obstacle.

But to topic, great choice, Notes. Now I am going to have to go see them again this year. Of course Mr. Maazel is gone now, but those are really world class players no matter who is driving the bus. This year they are 100 years old and they are BUSY at least for the first half.
Posted By: Belladonna Re: You can only pick one - 02/14/18 03:20 PM
If I am stuck somewhere I would want soulful upbeat music. So, Hendrix, Led Zeppelin and Stevie Rae Vaughn.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: You can only pick one - 02/14/18 04:52 PM
Originally Posted By: jford

Well, if you have some grain and or fruit and water and yeast and a few buckets and can make a fire..... you can make beer or distilled spirits pretty easily. It's not exactly rocket science.
Posted By: robsmusic Re: You can only pick one - 02/14/18 05:04 PM
Matt Finley:

You probably know this:

Terence Blanchard's album "The Heart Speaks" is all Ivan Lins compositions. smile
Posted By: robsmusic Re: You can only pick one - 02/14/18 05:07 PM
Mine would be Stevie Wonder.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: You can only pick one - 02/14/18 07:18 PM
Originally Posted By: robsmusic
Matt Finley:

You probably know this:

Terence Blanchard's album "The Heart Speaks" is all Ivan Lins compositions. smile

Oh, yes, great album! Yes, I have it, thank you. And Stevie Wonder is high on my favorites list, too. I love playing Golden Lady, Overjoyed and a few others.
Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: You can only pick one - 02/14/18 07:38 PM
no matter who it is, even the most prolific band/artist with the MOST records ever so you have the largest selection available after a few years you'd be wishing for a working 45................................... ..........................................................................................................................................

(ACP or Colt) to SHOOT them
and a copy of Mozart's Requiem in D Minor
Larry
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: You can only pick one - 02/15/18 11:46 AM
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
The Cleveland Orchestra

<...snip...>

And I get to LIVE here!!! Seen them dozens of times.<...>

Lucky you!

They have a winter home in Miami and do a few concerts per year. Often I'm gigging but when I can, if it's something worth the 2.5 hour drive each way, I'm there.

I've gone to Miami to hear MTT's New World Symphony, the young adults do a great job, and there are some works that I think require the energy of a youthful orchestra. https://www.nws.edu/about/michael-tilson-thomas/

In Montreal I heard the McGill student orchestra do a great concert. Another young persons world class concert.

Fortunately in West Palm Beach, only an hour away, many touring orchestras appear, and often on week nights or Sundays. I've heard the Czech, Moscow, USSR (back when it was USSR), Dresden, N.Y. Phil, London, St. Petersburg, Hungarian, and quite a few others.

For a few years we had a Florida Philharmonic, but a musician's strike coupled with low ticket sales sadly ended that. They were quite good.

We have a Space Coast symphony that is close, they are decent, but not of the caliber of the majors. In defense, they have an extremely heavy concert schedule and they play serious symphony concerts but also do pops and 'gimmicky' concerts to attract an audience that won't go to hear a symphony.

I've also seen orchestras in their home concert halls in Prague, Budapest, London, and a few other 'foreign' countries.

While classical may be one of my loves, it isn't my only. I've seen Zeppelin, Moody Blues, Gino Vannelli, Pink Floyd and was lucky enough to be the opening act "back in the day" for the Four Seasons, Association, and quite a few more including some of the Motown acts.

I've paid to see Stan Getz, Mark Murphy and a bunch of jazz cats too.

But for something to listen to that won't get 'worn out' or overplayed if heard thousands of times, I'll take a nice, complex symphony from the Romantic era (Eroica and on) to the contemporary. Especially the dark, brooding pieces by the Eastern Europeans and Russians.

Notes
Posted By: Tobias Re: You can only pick one - 02/19/18 06:18 PM
Scorpions
Posted By: Ryszard Re: You can only pick one - 02/19/18 08:49 PM
The Beatles. For my generation, they were the watershed, and for me, a huge inspiration.

No beer, huh? After I tend to the generator (so’s I can listen to the music), I’ll be out back working on the still (so’s I can keep me AND the generator going).

One must think of these things! cool

R.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: You can only pick one - 02/19/18 09:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Belladonna
If I am stuck somewhere I would want soulful upbeat music. So, Hendrix, Led Zeppelin and Stevie Rae Vaughn.

The game is ONE. Which one?
Posted By: Tobias Re: You can only pick one - 02/20/18 04:11 AM
Originally Posted By: Belladonna

The game is ONE. Which one?

I guess Create Your Own Supergroup wasn't in the rules.
© PG Music Forums