PG Music Home
Posted By: lambada Blue Screen - 02/13/18 07:07 AM
Well, yesterday was the day my Windows 10 update crashed and burned. I came back home to see the update still running after 8 hours. Rebooted and nothing but CMOS. Various beeps. First was the memory which i reseated, then cleaned the fan, which became intermittent and then the graphics accelerator card. Finally, no beeps, just the blue screen and CMOS. On the support line to Microsoft and 3 hours later today I'm fixed without losing anything. I had to create a USB / Flash boot up drive and install that. Twice. To be fair, I'm on the latest beta version of Windows 10 Creative whatever.... Microsoft were efficient and pretty clear. Only slight balls up was that I had to create the USB twice. Lesson learned. Have a boot / rescue disk and don't live on the creative edge unless you can deal with the heartache. Fortunately, I'd copied all my song data (BIAB/Realband/Reaper) to a cloud drive the day before. I still was told I would have to reinstall all the software. Amazingly it just bounced back.

Playing live, I've had a couple of near misses recently with gear going down. I have backups for most things. 1) Not light enough to see my music - bought a great double light for a music stand. 2) Misplaced my tuner - had to use phone to tune. 3) Phone went off in a break - not song - thank goodness. 4) SMS call came through on wifi when mobile data turned off. Now I go to airplane mode during shows. 5) Battery in guitar went dead - used spare guitar - carry spares of everything. 6) Forgot the lyrics / chords several times - learn them - lazy old sod!
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Blue Screen - 02/13/18 07:51 AM
Great to hear you're having a top day <smile>. But do let us know if things ever turn bad.
crazy crazy crazy
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Blue Screen - 02/13/18 10:33 AM
Typical musician’s day.

Speaking of music stand lights, I use Aria lights. These are amazingly bright. The newest one lasts 8 hours per charge.
© PG Music Forums