PG Music Home
Posted By: paulpaul vegas - 03/22/18 04:36 AM
hello
anyone from Vegas.

im visiting Vegas in April for the viva Las Vegas rockabilly weekender.
i will be busking on Fremont and on the strip.
im aware of the rules for Fremont street but not sure on the strip.
i have the Roland cube amp and i play sax.
i was there last year but didn't really give it a good go.
any advice/tips on the best legal places to busk or any bars/pubs i may enquire to get a short notice gig

i was informed that you cant use amplification on the strip(how keen are the police on this policy?)
i know Fremont is a lottery system after 3pm(again how keen are the authorities)

another question is
if im on a hotels or bars property/terrace(the area where the main strip walkway joins the private area of an establishment) could the police stop me if i had permission from the hotel/establishment?)

thanks for any info advice and i hope its not too way off topic(its still music and i do use bb for some of my rhythm tracks hah
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: vegas - 03/22/18 06:39 PM
PaulPaul,

Two thoughts; have you contacted the American Federation of Musicians local union or the Chamber Of Commerce?

I don't know if it still is or not but the +++ Las Vegas Musician's Union +++ use to be a force to recon with and you did not want to incur it's wraith. If you are a member of the musician's union in your area you may be able to contact the union and they can advise you about how to avoid much of the hassle.

+++ The Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce +++ may also be able to advise; that's one of the things they like to do. It maybe a simple matter like acquiring a busker's license so the police know you're legit.
Posted By: paulpaul Re: vegas - 03/23/18 02:21 AM
jim
thsanks for info.

im not a pro musician i kinda just turn up in places and if i see an opportunity to busk i do it.
the permit thing is a real bind but thanks for the link.
im in the uk and our busking laws require no license as long as buskers use common sense and are not a nuisance.

i thought America had the first amendment or something that allows
the freedom of expression hah
thanks
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: vegas - 03/23/18 09:13 AM
Do let us know how you go with your Vegas Busking Experience !
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: vegas - 03/27/18 12:47 PM
Here you go:

https://secure3.lasvegasnevada.gov/buskerpermit/Default.aspx

Sounds like a pretty big hassle to me. This is the same procedure in Santa Monica on the Third Street Promenade during the summer. That runs about 4 or 5 full city blocks and you have to show up at City Hall early in the morning, it's first come first served. You get an assigned spot for a certain time for that day only.

Probably the one place that has more musicians and entertainers per capita than LA is Vegas, the competition has to be fierce for a spot.

Freedom of speech or expression does not allow you to trample the rights of others including businesses. If they didn't have this Freemont Street would be a complete zoo as oppossed to being merely a riot. I stayed in a hotel down there a couple years ago. As the evening goes on it was packed beyond belief, there are big stages every block with some really good bands. It's loud, noisy, crowded and fun. It's Vegas Baby!

But, still controlled.

Bob

Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: vegas - 03/27/18 01:30 PM
Yeah.... I didn't dig into the link posted by Bob, but it does look like a PITA.

They have a huge surplus of people who think they are entertainers so they have to curtail it for the sake of the visitors.

It looks like a real hassle to do.... and, I wouldn't advise not complying with the laws, regulations and permitting process. The cops are probably pretty aware of the allotted spots, where the performers are permitted to be, who has permits issued and that are good for that day, and they ride along and see you standing where there is not supposed to be a performer, check the roster, nope, no permit issued for this place, and he has a strage accent..... next thing you know, "Book this guy"...you get a firsthand reading of your Miranda Rights, and in no time, you're on "Las Vegas Cops" TV show in the tank with the ladies of the night, drunks, and other miscreants. Heck, the TV show might actually pay you, but the fines and jail time wouldn't make it worth while. It would make for an interesting night.
Posted By: paulpaul Re: vegas - 03/28/18 02:17 AM
hello
thanks to all responses.
i have all the info for fremont now but any info on the strip please.
fremont is privatley owned but the strip is owned by clark county(i think)
so the rules are different.
anyway i busked on fremont last year until 3 pm ,that was ok ,i had already asked the police who were around and they told me about the lottery system,
the registration is a real bind because im coming from the uk which is why i only busked upto 3pm.
thanks for everyones time.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: vegas - 03/28/18 10:42 AM
Good luck! And do post some photos!
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: vegas - 03/28/18 06:06 PM
Looks like it's iffy on the Strip:

https://www.ktnv.com/news/street-performers-push-for-place-on-las-vegas-strip

Bob
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: vegas - 03/28/18 06:12 PM
I did get a laugh when I read one of the interviewees titles. Musicians are now Sonic Laborers. Given how hard it can be to make a buck, it makes sense:

Attached picture 2018-03-29_08-10-31.jpg
Posted By: paulpaul Re: vegas - 03/28/18 10:47 PM
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal

thanks for that bob
i have seen a few articles regarding some of the street entertainers getting too near the bone with what they are wearing.it was these types who were causing all the fuss(not the musicians).
i see that the article was written in may 2017, i was there a month before in april,so it might be a bit more difficult, i only busked for a short while in a few different areas but didnt really give it a good go to see what reaction of authorities might be.
the only trouble i had was with the evil disgusting crooks with the shell and pea(they must be all over the world.

thanks again
Posted By: paulpaul Re: vegas - 03/28/18 10:51 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Good luck! And do post some photos!

thanks and hopefully the photos wont include me in a britney costume,spiderman,minion or in handcuffs hah
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: vegas - 03/30/18 03:49 PM
Well, you could do what this cute young lady did on Freemont a few years ago. She pranced around nude in body paint. She probably had a tiny G string but I wasn't going to stare at her close enough to tell.

Bob
© PG Music Forums