PG Music Home
Posted By: Hugh2 LYRIC VIDEO :Any Tips? - 03/24/18 06:06 PM
Hi A friend of mine is doing a lyric video for me,Are their any tips you have when making one ?Particularly any "not to do's" or "make sure you do" type of things.She has sent me back the first draft and asked me for changes .Thanks Hugh
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: LYRIC VIDEO :Any Tips? - 03/24/18 07:08 PM
We've done quite a few. My suggestions in no particular order:

- don't use clips/images that distract from the lyric. At best they should enhance it and at the least not send the viewer off with the wrong idea.

- Use the 16:9 format so the video will not be "black boxed."

- use understated transitions -- again to not distract from the lyric

- if needed use effects to give a same look and feel to the images/clips.

- don't have the lyrics bouncing around or flying or twirling in. I suggest a scroll up that is timed well with the song and, again, doesn't distract.

- it's hard to find public domain material but it's obviolusly the right thing to do. I'm not assuming you would use copyrighted material!! Just thought I'd mention it as I spend a LOT of time with this aspect of the video production.

FWIW!!

Bud
Posted By: Hugh2 Re: LYRIC VIDEO :Any Tips? - 03/24/18 08:15 PM
Hi and thanks Bud,
Thats good advice "dont distract from the lyrics"
What we are using are photos that are creative commons and original drawings with permission from the artists.The pictures tell the story and that part came out good only a few need changing etc
So I took alot of time sourcing material for the video and asking people on facebook to contribute etc.
I am particularly now concentrating on the intro credits and the credits at the end that they look professional.What should i Include on the credits? Any ideas?Would you have a lyric video of yours online that would help me ?
Thanks again for ur input and advice Hugh
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: LYRIC VIDEO :Any Tips? - 03/25/18 02:41 AM
Use www.pixabay.com for free to use footage and photos.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: LYRIC VIDEO :Any Tips? - 03/25/18 04:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Hugh2
Hi and thanks Bud,
Thats good advice "dont distract from the lyrics"
What we are using are photos that are creative commons and original drawings with permission from the artists.The pictures tell the story and that part came out good only a few need changing etc
So I took alot of time sourcing material for the video and asking people on facebook to contribute etc.
I am particularly now concentrating on the intro credits and the credits at the end that they look professional.What should i Include on the credits? Any ideas?Would you have a lyric video of yours online that would help me ?
Thanks again for ur input and advice Hugh

Here are some of ours. Maria Blue doesn’t have lyrics but the others do. They all use images and I agree with Joanne that pixabay is a great source. We also use pexels site and a few others.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQmaixMJBtOJfZ2syjlcF6s1XLKHyCaLg

Bud
Posted By: Sundance Re: LYRIC VIDEO :Any Tips? - 03/25/18 05:35 PM
It's just a matter of taste. I haven't done one in a while but in the past I've done serious ones and spent hours looking for just the right public domain pics, and I've done fun animated ones with bouncing flowers, beach balls, cartoon heads, and a trippy one. I like to have fun with mine when I can. It's art.

My most popular one is Walking Streets Of Gold that just shows a street with animated lyrics. My personal fav of mine is Willadeen which is not a lyric video but a mixture of moving stills and live action PD film. Almost forgot, Girl It's Gone, is also a fav of mine because it was done with written permission from an independent film maker to use clips from his movie.

Also keep an eye on your channel. Santa Stop Here video had around 5000 views before that channel got hacked, all the videos were deleted, YT was no help so no choice but to start all over.

Have fun.
Posted By: Hugh2 Re: LYRIC VIDEO :Any Tips? - 03/25/18 07:31 PM
Hi Bud n Jan,
Just going down through ur songs .Really special stuff.I love the intro to Medicine Man goose bumps and also later in the song .Ok I have a good idea of the lyric video thanks for the help Hugh
Posted By: Hugh2 Re: LYRIC VIDEO :Any Tips? - 03/25/18 07:47 PM
Hi Josie,
Streets of Gold really upbeat song .The lyrics are so good .I want to go there now lol and willadeen as well really talented .Out of all the instruments I wish I could sing ,ur voice is lovely .Thanks for the links Hugh
Posted By: Hugh2 Re: LYRIC VIDEO :Any Tips? - 03/25/18 07:48 PM
Hi Joanne ,thanks i hadnt heard of them ,urs Hugh
Posted By: rsdean Re: LYRIC VIDEO :Any Tips? - 03/26/18 12:44 PM
Hugh,

I don't have any particular tips - although I do think a nice clean simple video works best for this content style.

Here's one I did a few years back.

Bob
Posted By: Hugh2 Re: LYRIC VIDEO :Any Tips? - 04/01/18 05:27 PM
Hi Sean,
I like that alot .great production and video .Thanks for the link Hugh
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: LYRIC VIDEO :Any Tips? - 04/03/18 11:11 AM
I find my favourite lyric videos also incorporate subtle imagery. A great example is the lyric video for "Night Still Come" by Neko Case (linked below). The imagery in the background is subtle enough so as not to distract from the music, but also interesting enough to keep your attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhnFl3Y2FVI

When it comes to what software to use or literal techniques I haven't a clue - but I would love to hear other's personal experiences with making lyric videos, especially having never made one myself.
Posted By: Hugh2 Re: LYRIC VIDEO :Any Tips? - 04/03/18 06:00 PM
Hi Deryk,Thats a nice one it keeps ur attention all the way with everyday items from an Urban environment,
Im nearly finished my one and will make a post just after this one.Its hard to make them look and sound good as well as melting into each other at the same time,thanks Hugh
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: LYRIC VIDEO :Any Tips? - 04/04/18 02:41 AM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
I find my favourite lyric videos also incorporate subtle imagery. A great example is the lyric video for "Night Still Come" by Neko Case (linked below). The imagery in the background is subtle enough so as not to distract from the music, but also interesting enough to keep your attention.

When it comes to what software to use or literal techniques I haven't a clue - but I would love to hear other's personal experiences with making lyric videos, especially having never made one myself.

That is a really good example but I would note that they are using video clips rather than static images and that makes a huge difference! Lyric videos that just do slideshows can be pretty boring and like you said the imagery needs to be interesting but not distracting.
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: LYRIC VIDEO :Any Tips? - 04/04/18 02:52 AM
I really like kinetic text lyric videos. You can find tutorials online for how to do simple ones or hire an artist to do one for you at a place like fiverr.com. This page has some great examples,

https://www.creativebloq.com/typography/examples-kinetic-typography-11121304
Posted By: camp_band Re: LYRIC VIDEO :Any Tips? - 04/04/18 05:12 AM
I would suggest making the text in color different than the background so that it can be read. It's simple, but I see a lot of people making that mistake. Also, try to correlate the background pics or video with the song, but keep it simple, so that the audience can be focused on the lyric part.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: LYRIC VIDEO :Any Tips? - 04/06/18 11:35 AM
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music

That is a really good example but I would note that they are using video clips rather than static images and that makes a huge difference! Lyric videos that just do slideshows can be pretty boring and like you said the imagery needs to be interesting but not distracting.

I definitely agree. Of course, with limited resources sometimes you need to make due with what you have.

Another really well done lyric video in my opinion is the one for "Danger and Play" by Buck 65, linked below. It is hip hop so some people here may not enjoy the tune, but the video is quite well done for a lyric video. Another fine example of the points I mentioned prior smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtlYCU6pois
Posted By: pghboemike Re: LYRIC VIDEO :Any Tips? - 04/08/18 02:07 PM
i like forum member Joanne Cooper's

Joanne Cooper's blog
© PG Music Forums