PG Music Home
Posted By: eddie1261 Austin City Limits - 04/15/18 02:31 PM
Does anybody else watch this show? I actually have the DVR set to record it! This is a great source of finding less than mainstream indie type bands and I really enjoy it. It's also a great source for old farts like me who still think of Foo Fighters as a "newer" band, and they've been around what, 25 years?

I saw a band from Philly last night called The War On Drugs, and they really blew me away. I would also have never heard of Bon Iver without that show.

Anybody else found good "new to you" bands on that show?
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Austin City Limits - 04/15/18 03:34 PM
War on Drugs is a great band. I wasn’t introduced to them through ACL but national public radio music shows. The great thing about the War On Drugs is they make rambling 2 chord songs that can go on forever but still keep interest. I was first introduced to Guster through ACL. Stevie Ray Vaughan as well way back in the day. The shows are always engineered to perfection.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Austin City Limits - 04/24/18 01:17 AM
Anyone else? I will listen to bands on there which I don't really even care for just to hear how well the audio engineers worked the episode. The people behind the scenes on ACL need to give the Grammy engineers some schooling on how to engineer and mix for live broadcast.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Austin City Limits - 04/25/18 04:12 PM
I used to watch ACL back in the day. They had a lot of the big name stars and I think Marty Steward practically lived on that show for a few years before moving to Nashville.

I liked that it was a smaller venue and yep, never heard a bad sound engineering job from there.

Merle, Coe, Asleep at the Wheel, Bogus, Mattea, and the list just goes on and on..... great singers and groups, and lots of unknowns, some of which became household names and others that disappeared when the lights went off.

I don't often watch the show these days. Never know that it's on when it's on.
© PG Music Forums