PG Music Home
As the title inquires, what was your first concert you attended and your initial impression? Did it help strengthen your love of music, or did it not live up to your expectations? Better yet, did it blow your expectations out of the water? How old were you when you attended your first concert?

I am curious to know what everyone's first concert was and what their experience with it was.

Can't wait to read the responses!
I'm definitely showing my age but my first concert was Johnny Cash in Minneapolis in the late 50s.

I was mesmerized by his guitarist, Luther Perkins, who was "The Johnny Cash" sound. Luther stood stick-straight and had everyone rocking in their seats. His "boom-chuck" guitar work was actually quite easy to play but it became much-imitated in many genres of the era.

The concert had a lasting influence on me musically.
My first concert was The Beatles in September of 1964. It was a mess. The police stopped the show once for crowd behavior and I think later a girl fell from the balcony. I couldn't hear anything but screaming. But I know now that it was a special moment, despite the fact that at 13 I had no idea how relevant it was because nobody would know they would only tour for 2 more years. They came back in 1966 but I didn't go.
Roy Orbison and The Everly Brothers in Dothan Alabama. I was transfixed.
My second one was The Beatles in Jacksonville Florida. What can you say - it was The Beatles!

Bud
Hey, hey it was the Monkees. A friend's father, bless his heart, got us the tickets and drove a carful of tween girls over an hour one way for us to celebrate her birthday. Then we ate fair food, rode rides and I threw up.

They played their own music so it didn't sound exactly like the records but we loved them, sang along when we weren't screaming and had a great time. grin

Oh and we had floor seats about 20 rows back so we got to run to the edge of the stage with all the other little girls when Davy sang until security would make us go back. LOL!
First was April Wine, Canadian band that had lots of radio play at the time. I was living on the east coast of Canada back then, Saint John, New Brunswick. Too small for the big international bands, but the Canadian bands always dropped by during their cross Canada tours. Also saw Lighthouse, another big Canadian band at the time. And lots of other great local bands that never made it out of the province. This would have been late 60’s early 70’s.

The first major concert I saw was Johnny Winter back when he was a huge star, Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto, very big venue. At the time he was my favourite guitarist, I had all his albums. We had nose bleed seats, sound was total crap, but I loved every minute of it! This was 1974.

And many, many more since then.
Hi

Well when I was kid we went to the pantomime every Christmas , and I remember spending more time watching the orchestra in the pit than the show.

But my first real concert was TAGERINE DREAM the synths a sequencers were enormous size things as big as a buss . and the sound so load,
I remember one of the guys on the mixing console, had to turn the bass down at one part as the audience was getting chest pain with the high intensity bass notes down at very low frequencies, in fact to say it was heart stopping is no exaggeration.

My taste in music is wide so the next was the BBC Concert Orchestra.

Mike
I think my first concert was The Association (could have been The Kingsmen - it was a long time ago). Rock concerts were brand new, and we were the opening act. "Cherish" was number one on Billboard back then.

My impression. Their vocals and harmonies were incredible. The pitches were right on, phrasing was tight, and you could tell they were really listening to each other and singing as a unit.

Their instrumental prowess was adequate, but not as great. I think we blew them away in that department. I don't want to seem to critical here, I suppose The Wrecking Crew did the instrument track on their recordings. IMHO their vocal prowess was more than enough to make up for the weaker instrumental chops.

As I said, rock concerts were new. Before that it was always "teen dances" where we opened for "The Coasters" played backup to Freddie 'Boom-Boom' Cannon (I played bass for Freddie because he liked my bass playing better than our bass player), and so on.

In the teen dances most danced but there were always those who crowded the stage for the headliners. For the warm-up band they didn't crowd the stage so the business at hand was dancing.

My impression? Having people sit up, listen, and pay attention was great. I liked this concert stuff. We had been a show band before playing dance and show sets, so the show set part of our act came out. We played a few 45 minute sets per week and got paid $400/week. (According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics consumer price index, $400 in the year 1965 is equivalent in purchasing power to $3,108.39 in 2017).

I had money, women (sorry gals that was the day and I hope the women were as happy about it as I was), and the musicians I heard on records treated me as an equal peer. In other words, I liked it.

Later we went on to be the opening act for quite a few others like The Four Seasons and eventually for many of the Motown acts when they were in their prime.

Then one day, due to talks about money (the record company didn't want to pay, and they wanted to take recording, distribution, and promotion out of our $0.02/record royalties) the bottom fell out, the band broke up, and I went back to playing night clubs for about $100/week ($677 in 2017 dollars). Still better than a day job, but not as good as what it was before.

Regrets? None. I was a child and couldn't have negotiated with Motown any better, we had the great times, and experienced more of a taste of fame than most other musicians.

Still if we did the record thing, even though we wouldn't have made money on the recording, it would have been great on my resume.

Now I'm past retirement age, still gigging, and the thrill isn't gone. I'm leading a charmed life.

Insights and incites by Notes
I think my first concert was to go hear the National Symphony Orchestra play at Wolf Trap Farm Park back in the early 1970's. It was a school field trip and the orchestra was great.

I think the first major concert I went to (where I bought tickets) was to see Maynard Ferguson's back play in Gainesville, GA in the late 1970's. It was a wonderful concert as far as I'm concerned, I could have just listened for hours and hours.

I saw them again in 1985 in Dayton, Ohio, where he came back to play at a club he opened at 30 years prior. Halfway through the concert, the band members, including Maynard, came out into the audience (it was a small club) and played his jazz version of Pagliacci. Maynard played about 4 feet away from where I was sitting. I was in heaven.

The next concert was probably Styx at the Omni in Atlanta, GA. It was awesome and we continued to sing the songs in the car on our way back to the college (alcohol may have been involved). And I'm going to go see Styx again tonight in Orange Beach, AL (along with REO Speedwagon and Don Felder - former guitarist for the Eagles).

There have been many more concerts in between. I just love listening to live music. For me, it doesn't have to be perfect, because none of us are, but it's real!
Oooh - story time!

The first show I attended, I was 17 years old. There's a small local music festival here and at the time, one of my favourite rappers, Aesop Rock, was playing it. I was incredibly stoked, having never been to a real concert or anything before. The show itself was above average but not mind blowing in performance, but that isn't why I hold the experience so dear to me.

He was playing at an old church which was re-purposed to be a live music venue. Being 17, I was fresh out of high school and had absolutely no extra spending money. Just seeing this guy performance was a huge deal for me, and I used up all my savings just to see him. Anyway, I have to go to the bathroom so I walk off to find it.

Having never been in this venue, I got a little lost. I go down a hallway, take a few turns and I find a merchandise booth. And lo behold, right next to it is Aesop Rock, one of my favourite music artists just standing there. I'd never had any interaction with a celebrity before, and just froze. I must have looked like a deer in headlights. He glances my direction and saw me and just said something like "How's it going man?" I recall fumbling over my words and not saying anything really coherent. The people running the merch booth kept trying to get me to buy stuff, but I had no money to get anything. I recall attempting to form a sentence to him but just fumbling because I was nervous. I vividly remember him telling me "Don't worry, I'm only human like you" and it brought me ease. Then, I took a breath and I recall at that moment being fine.

I only talked to him for about 5 minutes or so. We talked about music we liked, how he liked living in San Francisco, that this was my first show, and how beautiful Canada was and how he loved visiting. I remember him telling me his favourite part of any North American tour was driving through the rockies at the B.C./Alberta border. Anyway, he says he's got to head off but hopes I'll enjoy the show. Then, what truly got me was as he walked off he stopped at the merch table. He turned to the people working the merch table, and tells them "Let's get this guy a poster, it's on me." Then, one of my favourite artists gave me a free poster and signed it for me. Then, I got a picture with him and he shook my hand and said I hope you enjoy the show. 15 minutes later I saw this very same man on a stage absolutely killing it.

It was one of the most humbling moments of my life. And realizing one of my favourite musicians was a normal guy like me and such a nice guy as well really made me realize we are all equal. I have the poster up in my room still, and will hold onto it my entire life. Every time I see the picture of us, I remember that night and can't help but smile a mile wide.

One of the redeeming topics of our talk together was him living in San Francisco. I remember telling him I'd love to check it out one day, and he told me that if I do to ever visit San Francisco to do so in the spring time because its the most beautiful time of year there, and less touristy. 8 years after him telling me this, I'm finally flying down there in 2 weeks with my girlfriend for our 3 year anniversary smile

So thank you Aesop Rock for making my first concert so memorable, and for being such a nice person to a loving fan. I've since seen a lot better shows performance wise - but nothing will ever touch my heart like that moment.
My first real concert was The Guess Who around 70 or 71. I was on the road, don't remember the city, great show but LOUD. The second one was when we were booked in Honolulu for almost a year and Santana was playing the Crater in Diamond Head. Also a great show but man, even LOUDER. Both times my ears were almost hurting and nobody had to tell me that was not a good thing. I never went to an actual big rock concert again because of that although we were one of the opening acts for ELP and that was certainly loud too.

Speaking of that when we showed up in the afternoon for a soundcheck Emerson was playing a 9' concert grand piano by himself. All classical. Everybody including the crew, all the different musicans and anybody else hanging around were completely mesmerized by him. What a player. We all hung back by the backstage curtains and there he was all by himself just practicing I guess. He finally stopped and walked away and we were all just stunned. Doing a soundcheck after that was somewhat underwhelming. Here I am the B3 player and I'm OK but lightyears behind Emerson. My featured song at that time in the show group was ELP's version of Hoedown with a jazzy solo section. I was only slightly intimidated...

Bob
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
I'm definitely showing my age but my first concert was Johnny Cash in Minneapolis in the late 50s.

I was mesmerized by his guitarist, Luther Perkins, who was "The Johnny Cash" sound. Luther stood stick-straight and had everyone rocking in their seats. His "boom-chuck" guitar work was actually quite easy to play but it became much-imitated in many genres of the era.

The concert had a lasting influence on me musically.

Wow, I wish I could have seen Johnny Cash! You're very lucky to have seen him live!
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
My first concert was The Beatles in September of 1964. It was a mess. The police stopped the show once for crowd behavior and I think later a girl fell from the balcony. I couldn't hear anything but screaming. But I know now that it was a special moment, despite the fact that at 13 I had no idea how relevant it was because nobody would know they would only tour for 2 more years. They came back in 1966 but I didn't go.

Yikes, that does sound like a bit of a train wreck. From the documentaries I have seen their crowds could get pretty out of control and wild from The Beatles Fever. frown I hope the girl was OK!
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Roy Orbison and The Everly Brothers in Dothan Alabama. I was transfixed.
My second one was The Beatles in Jacksonville Florida. What can you say - it was The Beatles!

Bud

I would have given anything to go and see The Beatles. Perhaps that was the point though -- their music has really stood the test of time. I can't imagine what it was like to be around to see one of their concerts live.
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Hey, hey it was the Monkees. A friend's father, bless his heart, got us the tickets and drove a carful of tween girls over an hour one way for us to celebrate her birthday. Then we ate fair food, rode rides and I threw up.

They played their own music so it didn't sound exactly like the records but we loved them, sang along when we weren't screaming and had a great time. grin

Oh and we had floor seats about 20 rows back so we got to run to the edge of the stage with all the other little girls when Davy sang until security would make us go back. LOL!

That sounds like a really rad first concert experience ( despite the throwing up ). I've always been pretty lucky and with most concerts I have gone to have been pretty close. The only exception was when I went to go and see Adam Lambert + Queen for my birthday a few years back. Seats closer to the front were so expensive. We were "in the nosebleeds" and the tickets were a couple hundred. It was a really great concert, and they did a wonderful tribute to Mercury as well.
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
First was April Wine, Canadian band that had lots of radio play at the time. I was living on the east coast of Canada back then, Saint John, New Brunswick. Too small for the big international bands, but the Canadian bands always dropped by during their cross Canada tours. Also saw Lighthouse, another big Canadian band at the time. And lots of other great local bands that never made it out of the province. This would have been late 60’s early 70’s.

The first major concert I saw was Johnny Winter back when he was a huge star, Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto, very big venue. At the time he was my favourite guitarist, I had all his albums. We had nose bleed seats, sound was total crap, but I loved every minute of it! This was 1974.

And many, many more since then.

With all the years I lived near Toronto, I never did go to the Maple Leaf Gardens. I went to the Air Canada Centre/Rogers Centre plenty of times, though! I've seen quite a few concerts there and baseball games as well, so I know how big those larger venues can get ( and how loud they can be when filled to max capacity with screaming fans ).

I'm not as up on Canadian bands as I should be. I should look up a list later of some of the best and greatest and give them a listen through.

Thanks for sharing!
Originally Posted By: Mike Head
Hi

Well when I was kid we went to the pantomime every Christmas , and I remember spending more time watching the orchestra in the pit than the show.

But my first real concert was TAGERINE DREAM the synths a sequencers were enormous size things as big as a buss . and the sound so load,
I remember one of the guys on the mixing console, had to turn the bass down at one part as the audience was getting chest pain with the high intensity bass notes down at very low frequencies, in fact to say it was heart stopping is no exaggeration.

Mike

That reminds of an assembly that was held at my old school a long time ago warning us about the dangers of "concert life", and how chest pains could be a very real side effect and the kind of stresses it can have on the body.

I didn't believe them until I went to a concert where that exact thing happened to me. They also had to turn down the intensity.

Interesting story! Thanks for sharing.
Now the BEST concert story was when I was in the military. I was stationed at Ft Sill in Lawton OK, 90 miles south of OKC. There was a Saturday concert event that was an all day thing. The first act was The Buddy Miles Express. Next on was The Band. Following them was Deep Purple. And the headliner was Santana. Remember this was 1973 so place those acts in your head as to where they were on their career path in 1973.

And then chew on this.

Tickets were 8 bucks.
Originally Posted By: Mike Head
Hi

Mike

I would LOVE to see Tangerine Dream! I'm a big time fan of them. Phaedra and Ricochet are in regular rotation for me. It has never occurred to me to see them live, but I can imagine it being unreal!
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton

Regrets? None. I was a child and couldn't have negotiated with Motown any better, we had the great times, and experienced more of a taste of fame than most other musicians.

Wow, that sounds like a wild life. I don't think I ever personally could lead a life like that. I'm too much of a homebody. I admire those who can do what you did, and I am glad you had fun while doing it!
Originally Posted By: jford
I think my first concert was to go hear the National Symphony Orchestra play at Wolf Trap Farm Park back in the early 1970's. It was a school field trip and the orchestra was great.

I love seeing Orchestras! Every time I go to the Opera I find that I am watching the Orchestra just as much as I am watching those performing on stage. Last time I went one of the members was fighting the flu, and the intermission went a little longer then it should have because of it. He came back and finished despite being incredibly ill.

The show must on and all that.
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music

One of the redeeming topics of our talk together was him living in San Francisco. I remember telling him I'd love to check it out one day, and he told me that if I do to ever visit San Francisco to do so in the spring time because its the most beautiful time of year there, and less touristy. 8 years after him telling me this, I'm finally flying down there in 2 weeks with my girlfriend for our 3 year anniversary smile

So thank you Aesop Rock for making my first concert so memorable, and for being such a nice person to a loving fan. I've since seen a lot better shows performance wise - but nothing will ever touch my heart like that moment.

It all makes sense now, and I understand now why you're so excited for San Fran! I wonder if you'll run in to him while you're there. I wonder if he'd remember you.
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
My first real concert was The Guess Who around 70 or 71. I was on the road, don't remember the city, great show but LOUD. The second one was when we were booked in Honolulu for almost a year and Santana was playing the Crater in Diamond Head. Also a great show but man, even LOUDER. Both times my ears were almost hurting and nobody had to tell me that was not a good thing. I never went to an actual big rock concert again because of that although we were one of the opening acts for ELP and that was certainly loud too.

Loud seems to be a common comment! I suppose your first concert would seem quite loud, as it's unlikely you've heard anything that loud before to compare it. I remember my first concert feeling super loud too. grin
There were prior concerts for me, I'm sure, but the first I really remember was going to see Doc Severinsen and then going backstage with my parents.
I was about 6 yrs old and lit up like a candle.
There's a picture of me on Doc's lap somewhere around here. Haven't seen it in a while though.
But I remember it clear as day.
My parents knew many country music singers and musicians so we went to many country music concerts as I was growing up. Many times the acts would visit our house while in town, my parents played many of the same clubs and concert venues so going to a concert wasn't that unusual.

One I remember included Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, The Carter Sisters and Mother Maybelle, Jerry Lee Lewis, Marty Robbins, Hank Williams Junior and Stringbean.

I remember Jerry Lee Lewis because he was really rough on a piano and piano bench.

Stringbean was also notable because of his stage attire. I've included a photo below. He was a remarkable banjo player and comedian. Unfortunately him and his wife were murdered in 1973 during a break-in and robbery at his home.

Attached picture 220px-David_'Stringbean'_Akeman.jpg
I seem to recall that Stringbean didn't trust banks so he kept his sizable earnings from Hee Haw in his home. That made him a great target for home invasion and, ultimately, the murder of he and his wife. Very sad indeed.

I saw Hank Snow; Marty Robins; Charle Pride and many other Country stars while in the Army and stationed in Germany. We certainly had top-rated entertainment.

As much as I like Marty, he took clowning a bit too far. While Hank Snow was performing, Marty stood in front of him making silly childish faces. Hank was a very serious performer and nearly came to blows with Marty.
Well.... the first concert ...I hate to refer to it as such..... it was at the NJ State Fair back in the 60's and we had gone to the fair (1967 or 68 most likely) .....and it just happened that a group was playing and we went in to see the show. The group was... The Cowsills. Indian Lake, The rain in the park and other things, and of course.... HAIR. 100% lip synced because these were kids and it sounded just like the record. They are still touring..... but much better than the early days.

So... fast forward a few years..... Now we're talking about actually buying a ticket to go see a band.

The show was in Philly at the Spectrum. BLACK SABBATH. Now that's a show. Ozzy before all the drugs. And their first album was freshly out..... A band called Wild Turkey was the opening act. They were touting having the bass player from Jethro Tull. They never made it in the biz beyond being the opening act on that tour. I have their album. $3 to see the show.
My first concert was to hear the Rochester (NY) Philharmonic Orchestra. Although they were fantastic they place was no where near filled. So sad.

The next was years later to hear Olivia Newton John. We went because the movie Grease was almost exactly like how my wife and I were back then.

The last concert I went to was Weird Al. What a great show that was! They sounded like exactly like they did on their records.
Quote:
The last concert I went to was Weird Al. What a great show that was!

I've seen Weird Al in concert, also. He puts on a fabulous show; of course it helps that I love parody songs. He really nails it both in the studio and live.
I've never been a fan of concerts though I've been to a few... but I was fortunate to grow up in Fort Worth & so I had the pleasant opportunity to see a lot of great musicians up close at venues like the Cellar & Panther Hall... great memories.
Right now, the only concerts I go to are symphony orchestras.

I'll go to jazz clubs, or to venues my friends are playing at, but huge arenas just don't thrill me anymore. Been there, done that, usually lousy acoustics, and I've played them, they are more fun on stage that off for me.

But a symphony by one of my favorite composers with a real orchestra is an experience that cannot be duplicated in front of a CD player to me.

Plus I like that most of the audience is there to intently listen, not party down or get wild to the point where it interferes with the nuances of the music.

Plus here in Florida, the great traveling symphony orchestras (Czech Philharmonic, Moscow, etc.) usually play on Sunday, Monday or Tuesday leaving halls open on weekends for more profitable pop shows. I gig on the weekends, so even if someone comes to town that I would really like to see, I'm probably on my own gig.

Notes

I'll go to jazz clubs, or to venues my friends are playing at, but huge arenas just don't thrill me anymore. Been there, done that, usually lousy acoustics, and I've played them, they are more fun on stage that off for me.

But a symphony by one of my favorite composers with a real orchestra is an experience that cannot be duplicated in front of a CD player to me.

Plus I like that most of the audience is there to intently listen, not party down or get wild to the point where it interferes with the nuances of the music.

Plus here in Florida, the great traveling symphony orchestras (Czech Philharmonic, Moscow, etc.) usually play on Sunday, Monday or Tuesday leaving halls open on weekends for more profitable pop shows. I gig on the weekends, so even if someone comes to town that I would really like to see, I'm probably on my own gig.

Notes

Notes, the Florida orchestra did an arrangment of Pan in A minot with the Tampa Bay Steel Orchestra years ago. I want to get the video so I can show it to you. Also if you ever come to Saint Pete, check the Palladium. It's is run by Saint Petersburg College but you get really great local artist and sometimes some well known names. Soince you like jazz, listen to Nate Najar. He playes great and has travled all over the world.
I'm not the typical musician to listen to music or go to concerts but the first concert I went to was a kids band called Trout fishing in America. I had a ton of their songs on CD back in the 90s and I liked them, granted I was a lot younger. The first real concert I attended was a Weird Al concert. It was fun and there was clear evidence of really nerdy people. Now a days, I mostly gig, listen to local bands and volunteer for a local venue.
Originally Posted By: rharv
There were prior concerts for me, I'm sure, but the first I really remember was going to see Doc Severinsen and then going backstage with my parents.
I was about 6 yrs old and lit up like a candle.
There's a picture of me on Doc's lap somewhere around here. Haven't seen it in a while though.
But I remember it clear as day.

That sounds like quite the story! I am sure you had fun!
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
My parents knew many country music singers and musicians so we went to many country music concerts as I was growing up. Many times the acts would visit our house while in town, my parents played many of the same clubs and concert venues so going to a concert wasn't that unusual.

They came to your house? That's insane! I'm a little jealous.
Originally Posted By: MarioD

The last concert I went to was Weird Al. What a great show that was! They sounded like exactly like they did on their records.

Weird Al is such a character! He was in a show a couple years back called Galavant as a special guest. It's a netflix show that kind of makes fun of the fantasy genre in the format of a musical. It's really entertaining! But I bet seeing him live would have been super fascinating.
Originally Posted By: Jim
I've never been a fan of concerts though I've been to a few... but I was fortunate to grow up in Fort Worth & so I had the pleasant opportunity to see a lot of great musicians up close at venues like the Cellar & Panther Hall... great memories.

Are you not a big of concerts because they are too noisy, or do you just prefer more intimate venues? I'm a fan of the latter personally.

Thanks for sharing!
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
They came to your house? That's insane! I'm a little jealous.
Yes, Nothing brings out the neighbors for a visit quite like a tour bus in the driveway and an all star music jam in the living room! smile
Werner Lämmerhirt ... got me into picking!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG9mAe3cXsU
Originally Posted By: Islansoul
<...snip...>

Notes, the Florida orchestra did an arrangment of Pan in A minot with the Tampa Bay Steel Orchestra years ago. <...>

Nice! Thanks.

Notes
Originally Posted By: Jim

Are you not a big of concerts because they are too noisy, or do you just prefer more intimate venues? I'm a fan of the latter personally.

Thanks for sharing!

Both... In concerts there is usually some great distance between the you & the musicians... I've been in clubs & beer joints where those same musicians showed up to perform their magic within 10 to 20 feet from where I sat sipping a beer... years later, after I started playing beer joints, I realized when I finished playing our last set, at 2 am I packed up & went home but I couldn't go to sleep... I was keyed up & ready to pick so more, its the nature of the beast I guess... so in retrospect I figure they must have faced the same problem & solved it... much to my fortunate delight.
Benny Goodman and his band. Boy did that bunch of guys, and a female singer, open my eyes to what musicians really are and what they can really do especially relative to what I had previously thought of those "old guys" and my truly lacking three chord rock!

Larry

I'll go to jazz clubs, or to venues my friends are playing at, but huge arenas just don't thrill me anymore.

The idea of going to a giant stadium show is kinda "meh" to me as well. I've certainly been to a few, but I've always just preferred the smaller venues I've been to. I find that some artists get too invested in putting on a really good show that they don't actually perform as well. There's been a few times where I had gone to a bigger venue and been disappointed with the quality of the show, then saw the same artist at a venue that only held 20 people and it was as magical as I expected the first show to be, but even better.

Granted, I have definitely been to quite a few really great shows at stadiums and enjoyed them, but nothing beats the smaller shows, at least for me.
The idea of going to a giant stadium show is kinda "meh" to me as well.

Right there with you on that one. The last thing I want to do is sit in traffic for an hour, walk a mile to get to the venue, stand for hours with people bumping be during the whole show, with all the excessive drinking resulting in people fighting and puking everywhere, then walking a mile back to my car, waiting to get through the traffic jam at the exits, and driving home. All that after paying WAY too much for a ticket.

I'll pass. If you look from above down on a floor plan of concert seating, imagine a 3x3 square formed by the seats. I would buy all 9 seats and sit in the middle of the middle row so I had nobody in front of, behind, or next to me. That's how much of a misanthrope I am.
"I miss the concerts so much. I still remember my first concert. It was a rock band that played in one of our nightclubs. Speaking of which, this is the first time I got drunk laugh I was a teenager at that time, and I remember this concert especially because I met my girlfriend there. We are dating for more than 8 years now. By the way, we are getting married very soon and we want to organize a rock wedding. We've even found live streaming services in London to capture this day. I think our wedding will be remembered by all the guests.
"
I can chime in here....

My first one was May '69 five weeks before I got out of the military.
It was the Northern California Folk Rock Festival at Santa Clara County Fair Grounds.
Saw Hendrix and a few others I can't recall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_California_Folk-Rock_Festival_(1969)#/media/File:Northern_California_Folk-Rock_Festival_2_poster.jpg

My second one was Lee Micheals and Albert King at Fillmore West in January 1970.
https://concerts.fandom.com/wiki/Fillmore_West

But...I lost my desire for large crowds and ear bleeding volumes several decades ago.

Have a great day...
Do you remember what the ticket for that festival cost? Often those packaged tour kind of shows are crazy cheap, particularly back then. I don't even know how to convert 1969 money to 2021 money.

I saw a show in OKC in 1973 that was The Buddy Miles Express, The Band, Santana, and Deep Purple as the headliner.

Tickets were 8 bucks. According to some online inflation calculator $8 in 1973 is worth $47.73 today.
I honestly haven't been to many concerts, as I'm not great with crowds. Funny enough, I had set up and mixed concerts before I ever went to one as a spectator!

That said, my first "real" concert that I wasn't dragged to by a parent was for a band called X-Japan. They played at the Queen Elizabeth theatre in Vancouver a bit over 10 years ago, I think I was in my early 20's or so. It was pretty fantastic!

Probably my favourite concert was for a Canadian band called I Mother Earth - they played the Commodore in Vancouver, and it was the concert tour where they reunited with the original singer for the 20th anniversary of probably their biggest album. It was also a fantastic show - one of the best guitarists and drummers out there!
I'm pretty sure the first concert I ever attended was Crosby, Stills and Nash.

I was blown away. I can't say for sure if it was the music or the hash brownies! grin
I was fortunate enough to attend a jr. college that supported “arts” programs. In a short period of time I saw George Shearing, Duke Ellington, Dave Brubeck, and Raphael Mendez.
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Do you remember what the ticket for that festival cost? Often those packaged tour kind of shows are crazy cheap, particularly back then. I don't even know how to convert 1969 money to 2021 money.

I wish I could day I recall exactly.
But....I was living on military pay and considering the other (arena) concerts I attended way back then I'm sure it was less than 10 buckaroos.
I'd say 8$ sounds about right.

Back to it....
My first arena concert occurred when I was so young, I can barely remember it. I think I was about 4 or 5 years old. It was a Country Music concert that my Mom to me to at the War Memorial Arena in Johnstown, PA. I know that Ernest Tubb and Hawkshaw Hawkins were some of the performers. The only thing that I can really remember about the concert is that there was a Comic who did a bit with a live mule on stage; Francis the Talking Mule from the movies. It was so memorable because the concert was delayed a few minutes after Francis did his business on stage and required cleanup of his mess before things could continue.
© PG Music Forums