PG Music Home
Here's one of mine....yet oddly enough - I found the song extremely catching and played it (I'm slightly embarrassed to say) quite often....my wife didn't feel the same...she claimed (and I think quite rightfully so)...that he "sounds like a sheep" LOL !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHgAHcD_r9w
Well, ANYTHING Stevie Nicks sings......
ahhh....only when you said her name did I immediately realize you had a contender...Now let's go song for song - check out the Bee Gees link I initially forgot to drop in - and see if you can find a Stevie Nicks song that has more vibrato (for better or worse) than this on : )

There's a little bit too much vibrato - and then, there's vibrato for it's own sake - say TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much vibrato lol
Well, like I said, ANY, but here's Dreams and Landslide .

I don't think we should be linking to copyrighted stuff, BTW.
Anything by the younger Joan Baez.
Lot's of Freddie Mercury's stuff has too much vibrato for me. Progressive Rock, as a genre in the 1990's/2000's almost required too much vibrato out of the singer. Meatloaf. David Bowie often went too far. Aaron Neville.

I guess for me, any time it seems that it's theatrical - that is - forced and pretending to be a character of some type; or just to be different for the sake of different-ness, then that's too much.

It's a shtick instead of decoration that adds beauty to the sound.

LOTS of electric guitar players guilty of the same.
Well - there's no business like show business...theatrical is the right word. Back in the day, a fair looking or even ugly guy could hold a place in a band - but the bar to be a music entertainer has crept steadily higher with regards to being 'good looking' imho - generally speaking...

Ah - one more - Ian Anderson in Jethro Tull did a lot of it too. One of my favorites of his with quite a bit of theatrical vibrato is "Too Old To Rock and Roll" - also "Skating on the Thin Ice of a New Day" - songs the younger generation will probably never hear unless we old geezers play them on our instruments or our CD (ahem - I mean) or MP3s.
Good looking has been part of the success formula for lead singers for as long as photography has existed to promote a singer or band. Very rarely do you have homely looking pop stars. Ed Sheeran is a current exception. Fairly homely guy that makes the ladies swoon.

Going back in time, there are perhaps even FEWER example in pop music of homely guys or girls becoming stars.

Even the venerated Beatles-imagine if Paul had Ringo’s face. Speculation, but I imagine that they wouldn’t have been as popular if Paul was uglier.
In the style of Eddie, I'll say "Anything by STYX or Deep Purple"

I like both bands, and they did a good job of making the vibrato a part of their signature sound... but I always felt bad for any local vocalist trying to duplicate the style of either singer
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
In the style of Eddie, I'll say "Anything by STYX or Deep Purple"

I like both bands, and they did a good job of making the vibrato a part of their signature sound... but I always felt bad for any local vocalist trying to duplicate the style of either singer

Interesting that you mention Styx - the whole band was into musical theater, supposedly.

Another one that I can't believe I forgot - The King also sounded like a fake vibrato on many of his tunes, which make them irritating to some listeners.
https://youtu.be/vGJTaP6anOU I realize this is one of the greatest hits of all of rock and roll, but jeez, it bugs the living daylights out of me. I will listen to Styx over and over compared to this schlock.

Willie Nelson is another, but for some reason it doesn't sound faked to me and it has some endearing quality to it that I just can't put my finger on. My favorite Willie Nelson song of the past several years is his cover of Coldplay's The Scientist.
I'm a huge fan of Fleetwood Mac, but I have to agree sometimes Stevie Nicks gets a bit carried away. Another singer that gets out of hand at times is Isaac Brock from Modest Mouse. I love the band - especially their older stuff - but he gets a little carried away sometimes.
Ok - now let's see which one of our group members has the song with the most vibrato (feel free to write a new one).

Anyone out there feeling their vibrato oats ?
These vocals are pure theater. I mixed this a little differently to have the vocals more forward. But it’s not my song, just my lyrics and voice. Vibrato on the singing sections is a little bigger than usual for me.

https://soundcloud.com/user-251265850/suddenly-i-know-it-all
THIS>>>>>
^^^ I thought Joe V was asking about singers. smile
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
THIS>>>>>

This is a definite example of getting a bit carrier away, and yet it works with the over-all song. Fascinating.
How about this one....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pV_-e_VKP0
Rockstar_not, very Uriah Heap.:-)
© PG Music Forums