PG Music Home
The song being used in the Transitions lens ads on TV caught my attention. Any tv ad songs grab your attention lately? I thought a was girl singing but it's not.
Last time one stopped me in my tracks was Maya Angelou reading a poem on a commercial. Not music per se, but music to my ears nonetheless
I think it was called the Human Family
Yeah... but I can't remember the product being advertised.

I guess they failed at their message if I cen't remember the product.... but the song was very hip and modern sounding. I'll try to remember it if I see it again and look it up.
There were a few that caught my attention but after seeing them for the 500th time I end up hating them.
Impact musical milestones that come to mind for me are the commercial success of "Get Together" by the Youngbloods after being featured in national TV commercials although a flop as a single release and Bog Seger's "Like a Rock" for Chevy.
No particular song for me, though I try to mute most of the commercials anyway. What HAS caught my attention is mainly 2 things. How lame and limp most of the songs are, with the young hipster kid singers who slur their speech so badly you can't make out lyrics,

Like this thing....

and how the pendulum has swung to the side of commercials using existing songs rather than hiring jingle writers. I see that only as more songwriters out of work, another effort to dissuade young people from pursuing a career in the arts. Apparently it is cheaper to pay for the rights to use a song snippet than to commission a jingle writer. Though Barry Manilow made tons of money doing jingles. Jim Brickman, he of "Valentine" fame, is from Cleveland, and he and his business partner Annie Cochran wrote a ton of jingles. In fact they used to joke that they tried to write songs but everything came in at exactly 30 seconds.

I have to believe when John Lennon wrote Revolution he didn't know he was writing it for a Nike commercial.

I also note how often the music they pick has absolutely nothing to do with the product they are selling. This is in a commercial for cookies.

What does this have to do with Oreos?
Eddie I saw Jim Brickman in concert many years ago. He was a marvelous entertainer and did an excellent show.
Here is another one from the 2017 Suburu ad campaign that I liked a lot. It's a great folk song called Land Of Dreams by Langhorne Slim.

Another one from several years ago was Willie Nelson’s cover of Coldplay’s The Scientist for a Chipotle commercial. The lyrics went surprisingly well with the theme of the commercial. http://youtu.be/S1zXGWK_knQ
And the one that set the hipsters aflutter could be VW’s use of Nick Drake’s Pink Moon in one of their ads for the Cabriolet model. I had never heard of him before. https://vimeo.com/141594401
Eddie, I got to say - I love that "You And Me" song and what a great backstory. Hey 70's soul you got my attention. I haven't seen the Oreo ad but I think it's a perfect fit - you and me .... eatting an oreo or whatever. wink Thanks for sharing that one. I wanna hear it again. grin
Scott I hadn't seen this one. Who'd have thought Willie Nelson paired with that song. I thought the ad animation was cool with a great message. I'm still undecided how I felt about Willie's rendition of the song though very different sound that's for sure.

The hipster one I didn't much relate to - a matter of taste I reckon.

thanks for sharing!! With most of music universe trying to get a placement with odds probably about equal to winning the powerball LOL! I thought it'd be interesting to see what caught people's attention here in our music community.
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Eddie, I got to say - I love that "You And Me" song and what a great backstory. Hey 70's soul you got my attention. I haven't seen the Oreo ad but I think it's a perfect fit - you and me .... eating an oreo or whatever. wink Thanks for sharing that one. I wanna hear it again. grin

I'm all in on this song too. Thanks for sharing...

UPDATE: As I was listening to the song a second time I opened up the post to read the description. Penny and the Quarters story is very similar to a story about me and one of my originals..

I was in a band that recorded an album in August 1975 at Rome Studios in Columbus, OH. A couple of years ago, I was contacted by a Co-owner of The Numero Group and he explained to me they had purchased archived material from Rome and my album notes from the studio recording were included in the purchase and he inquired if there were any albums still available. There were and he purchased several, got back to me and purchased one of my songs and re-mastered and released the song in a documentary.

Looking at the info about The Numero Group in Wikipedia, they have received 6 Grammy nominations through 2017.

Maybe Numero will forward my song to Ryan Gosling......
Hey Charlie what a cool coincidence. Let's hope!!!
The commercial is a guy and his daughter who want to see stars but the city lights hamper them, so they hop in the car and drive far away from the city where the stars will show. On the way they stop for a bag of Oreos. I loved the backstory of the band as well.

This Geico commercial made me research and find out about this band.
Now that was one of the best laughs I've had in a while. My husband too. Those Wrinkled Neck Mules sure did write one funny country song. The lyrics are in the comments below the video. Great find Eddie!
Those guys if I recall are scattered around the country and they record like a lot of us do by sending reference tracks around for other people to add their parts. I think 2 are in Texas, one is in Maryland, and one west coast, maybe Washington.The song itself is really funny where they have to sell enough t-shirts to get to the next place.
© PG Music Forums