PG Music Home
Hi all

Well I took the plunge and upgraded both of my W7 pcs to windows 10.
Tried it on my every day old 32 bit Dell desktop first flawless ,so as it was still working fine after a couple of weeks,
pressed on with my Asus n55 64 bit.
Now this is my main music workstation for Biab and everything else music wise.
So I crossed everything took an Acronis full image just in case.
Once again the upgrade was flawless and alls well with my PG products new free 64 bit Bandlab Cakewalk etc.

As both builds were upgrades all my software and files were same apart from on odd reg cleaner that the upgrade removed as incompatible.
My desk tops came up as I like them. In fact exactly as they were in W7
After all the horror stories I have read I was concerned.
Have tweaked w10 well personalized it to my liking and set a few preferences ‘

Despite Microsoft stopping the free upgrade you can still get it.
One W10 and one BIAB update since upgrade all fine.
So wish me luck.
Best regards
Mike

My experience doing this many years ago was also smooth. As I recall, after some time (several days?) Windows began doing system updates. Although everything worked, it tied up the computer since everything was so slow with Task Manager CPU pegged at 100%.
My experiences with going from Windows 7 to Win 10 was also pretty smooth. Of course, change is always hard to deal with. Luckily for me I only had one small hiccup, and then it was all resolved. Luckily my laptop files weren't important and I could just shrug them off. I can't imagine going back and using an older OS now, to be honest with you. Windows 7 just seems like a million years ago now, even though I only made the switch about three years ago.
I've had nothing but positive experiences with Windows 10 so far. Hoping you the best with that! It is truly a really nice operating system smile Like anything, takes a bit to get used to but once it all clicks you realize how nice it is.
Windows 10 has worked fine on my two desktop machines, but because HP wouldn't provide an updated video driver for my aging laptop, I've had to retrograde to Windows 7 (they didn't release it for Windows 8, nor for Windows 10). I did do the Windows 10 upgrade for awhile, but found that the generic video driver ran the laptop hot all the time (I've got a first generation i5, before they made the cooler versions). I also can't use my HDMI port or my fingerprint reader with Windows 10 (all of which work fine under Windows 7).

But my HP desktop and my home-built Beast (my name for it, as it's a tall tower that can hold something like 10 drives) both work great with Windows 10.

I did have an initial problem with Native Instruments authorization/update program on more recent versions of Kontakt and other libraries that seem to be linked back to doing the initial in-place upgrade to Windows 10. However, once you do the initial upgrade, you can do a clean upgrade, which I did, and all my NI stuff works correctly now. But it did take a long time to re-install all the libraries.
I'm kind of half way there with an upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 - My current Win 7 desktop is still going strong and is home to both BIAB/RB and Studio One 3.5 Pro. It has an AMD dual-core CPU and maxed out at 4GB DDR3 ram but my workflow does not seem to put a strain on the CPU.

However, I recently had a bit of extra cash and purchased a new Win 10 Desktop tower with a 128 ssd, and 1 TB Hdd, and I7-6 core CPU @ 3.2 Ghz and 16 GB DDR4 Ram. It has gaming features but is supposed to be tweaked for audio.

I loaded the core Studio One Pro program but haven't had a successful completion of any of the 30+ additional downloads of instruments, loops, etc.

Also, the system sound card (RealTek) defaults to 48/24 as the lowest resolution. I can open a program and reset the soundcard to 44.1/16 but sound only works in that program. I have a choice of either/or. I have not experimented and tested to see what happens if I use an audio interface yet.

The third issue is getting BIAB installed to run on the SSD and all the other programs onto the HDD and then back tracking to get the last several years of 49 Paks, Xtra Styles and such.

For the moment, it's back in the box and I'm sticking with Win 7.
A 128 gig SSD is barely enough Charlie if that's your main system dive. I've got a 256 and that's barely enough after 18 months of working with it. I found a site that explains Win 10 keeps about a 57 gig backup copy that is perfectly safe to erase so I did.

With prices dropping you should consider upgrading to a 500 gig for around $120 or so.

Bob
I agree that it makes sense to upgrade. I only have Audacity and Studio One installed at this time so I may look into doing the SSD upgrade. While 128 GB is large, I have a 128 GB flash drive... and I have a 500HDD on the win 7 computer that holds all my programs with space to spare.
1 run 2 x 2TB SSD's

Initially an expensive outlay, but one thing's for sure. I don't wait for long to load or save anything wink
You silly guys and your gigabytes..... Terabytes are the way to go.... smile
Originally Posted By: sslechta
You silly guys and your gigabytes..... Terabytes are the way to go.... smile
Yes, that's what I said too!
Yup, looks like I replied on that before I saw your post sir. All good!
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
I'm kind of half way there with an upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 - My current Win 7 desktop is still going strong and is home to both BIAB/RB and Studio One 3.5 Pro. It has an AMD dual-core CPU and maxed out at 4GB DDR3 ram but my workflow does not seem to put a strain on the CPU.

However, I recently had a bit of extra cash and purchased a new Win 10 Desktop tower with a 128 ssd, and 1 TB Hdd, and I7-6 core CPU @ 3.2 Ghz and 16 GB DDR4 Ram. It has gaming features but is supposed to be tweaked for audio.

I loaded the core Studio One Pro program but haven't had a successful completion of any of the 30+ additional downloads of instruments, loops, etc.

Also, the system sound card (RealTek) defaults to 48/24 as the lowest resolution. I can open a program and reset the soundcard to 44.1/16 but sound only works in that program. I have a choice of either/or. I have not experimented and tested to see what happens if I use an audio interface yet.

The third issue is getting BIAB installed to run on the SSD and all the other programs onto the HDD and then back tracking to get the last several years of 49 Paks, Xtra Styles and such.

For the moment, it's back in the box and I'm sticking with Win 7.

UPDATE:

After contemplating the additional cost of replacing the SSD to a larger one, upgrading to a larger monitor and the hassle of getting a complete install of all past/present BIAB RT's and paks plus the hassle of getting Studio One properly installed, I bailed on the new tower and returned it. Purchased a less expensive Dell All-in-one AMD A9 based CPU with 8gb DDR4 Ram, a 23.8 Touch Display and gave it to my wife.
© PG Music Forums