PG Music Home
Posted By: pghboemike Why pop music sounds bad (to you) - 09/18/18 12:44 PM
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Why pop music sounds bad (to you) - 09/18/18 04:54 PM
Beautiful.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Why pop music sounds bad (to you) - 09/18/18 06:56 PM
Interesting article. Seems that some research was put into this.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Why pop music sounds bad (to you) - 09/18/18 10:30 PM
This video is a great find. Excellent
Posted By: Samuel Davis Re: Why pop music sounds bad (to you) - 09/19/18 12:05 PM
Very interesting.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Why pop music sounds bad (to you) - 09/19/18 02:26 PM
Dear pghboemike,

I have a question: are you the eternal silent poster? I always see all these great finds and super posts from you but you never say anything. Are you the universe bringing us great knowledge, or are you simply the spirit that lies at the heart of the loneliest eternal quark, the first living blip of the cyber-age? Will you never say hello??

smile

Anyway, I have to say I am raising my eyebrows a bit at the constant use of the mysterious yet validating word "neuroscience" whenever anyone posts anything these days.

Like: "Modern cutting edge science tell us that that when we move our eyes, something happens deep in our neurons, somewhere, and stuff, so, you should subscribe to my youtube channel."

There are major gaps in all of these theories, as espoused.

For example, it does not explain why some children are drawn to classical music no matter how much Justin Bieber they are exposed to and go on to become classical violinists and hate everything but classical--Jazz, the Beatles, and Katy Perry. It does not explain why some adults can listen to John Mayer and say "Please get me off of this droning alpha wave and hear some hip hop for God's sake."

Nor does it explain why I like Led Zeppelin now but completely hated them when I was 14--because I liked Chet Atkins better back then. I thought he could play.

Nor does it explain why I won my high school talent show playing a Chet Atkins song in front of a gym full of die-hard and largely stoned Zeppelin fans in black t-shirts after 5 Zeppelin acts had been booed off stage. They loved the Chet Atkins though. Must have been the home-grown.

Having studied neuroscience I can say that the most amazing aspect of the brain is its "plasticity" or ability to change and evolve and form new patterns. Not too much is hard-wired by 14. That is why teenagers drive their parents crazy. They are all over the map.

We are a product of what we expose ourselves to and that can continue to change over the course of a lifetime.

I love the Beatles now, but when I was 14 I thought they were just goofy and full of themselves, and put them on the same level as the Monkees. I saw no difference.

Come to think of it, I don't think I liked anything that anyone else liked. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Well, maybe when I am 90 I will be a hard-wired Justin Bieber fan.

Music is strange.

Who knows!!!

smile

YMMV
Posted By: jford Re: Why pop music sounds bad (to you) - 09/19/18 03:25 PM
Through middle school, high school, and college, I did not care for Led Zeppelin at all. Don't know why, just didn't.

However, somewhere in my 30's, something changed and I got it. I now thoroughly enjoy listening to Led Zep and in fact have all their albums on vinyl.

But, yeah, for the most part, I'm stuck in the 70's and my XM-Satellite-Radio spends most of its time on "70's on 7".
© PG Music Forums