PG Music Home
Posted By: toucher New Amplifier - 10/06/09 03:02 PM
I have been running my little bedroom studio with an old Fisher stereo receiver as the power source for the last few years, but it is getting tired and needs to be replaced. I thought I'd see what you all might have in the way of suggestions. Keeping in mind that it needs to be under $200 I am considering this unit. It is new enough that there seems to be no reviews. Take a look if you have a moment and see what you think.

Technical Pro RX-S113

http://www.audiosavings.com/products/TEC...b42.r1ddfc.aspx

Any advice would be appreciated.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: New Amplifier - 10/06/09 03:26 PM
It seems like a el cheapo pos to me. I just don't like it when some mfgr screams "1500 watts peak power!!" That usually means it's junk. I use one of these
Alesis RA300 You can find these all day on Ebay for about $150 used. Good quality amp and the best bang for your buck imho with none of that bs about peak power. I also picked up a nice SAE receiver at a yard sale for $50 a few months ago, that would work well in the studio too. SAE made some very good stuff back in the day.

Bob
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: New Amplifier - 10/06/09 04:44 PM
For an audio amplifier in the studio, but a studio amp.

Behringer for a while has gotten such a bad rep, but you know what? Their product performs.

So, I would suggest this, and a set of monitors, if you don't have real studio monitors, to go with it.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pro...fier?sku=480780

You might consider teaming it with these Behringer passive monitors, as well.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-TRUTH-B2031P-Passive-Monitors-?sku=600604

Make sure you read the customer reviews.

Finally, if you can't afford both together, skip the amplifier, and go directly to Powered Monitors. The following are 'B-Stock' KRK V4II V series. I know exactly what these sound like (my boss uses them on her desk) and they are an amazing speaker. For an extra $60-75, over your $200 limit, you'll thank yourself for a very long time.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=602316V

Gary
Posted By: rharv Re: New Amplifier - 10/06/09 07:09 PM
After a few months of ownership, I highly recommend the BX8a Deluxe series. (I know, they are a little higher than $ amount mentioned but can be found in the $350 range)
Especially 'new' ones from a recent run at the factory. They seem to have fixed an issue they had previously. I bought right away when I heard they had started a fresh run, as even the people that had problems would still mention the incredible detail and depth of the speakers.
I got an 'inside word' that a new run was started with new methods.
I bought from an online store, but received the speakers shipped direct from factory, which wasn't normal from this vendor (they keep a stock). It was a speaker salesman there that let me know a fresh run was being done, and someone at M-Audio confirmed. Of course a problem was never acknowledged, but this new run was 'improved'...

For years now I have been a believer of getting powered monitors - everything comes matched for best results.
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: New Amplifier - 10/06/09 07:26 PM
Bob,
New run of BX8a's, huh? Well, I can always take my RP5's to work and have them there! That sounds like another case of 'GAS' for which I do not have the money.

Gary
Posted By: Mike sings Re: New Amplifier - 10/06/09 10:02 PM
What monitors are you currently using? If you happen to have top-class passive monitors then an amp would be the best way to go. However, the amp you're sugesting has a lot of bells and wistles on board which you really don't want. An amp has to amplify the inputsignal; nothing more and nothing less. You don't want your amp to "color" the sound. So if you want the most bang for bucks, look for an amp with only an on/off button and a volume control. (all the money goes to what you want, nothing to things you don't need)

If your speakers are regular hifi speakers, then active would be the best way to go. Amp and speaker are designed to match.

See how far you can stretch your budget. Then go to a well sorted store and test the monitors that are in your pricerange. Take a couple of reference cd's with you (music you are really familiar with) and take your time.
Remember you're not looking for the nicest sounding monitor. You want the ones that reproduce the music as acurate as possible.

When you finaly have your new monitors in your studio be sure to get to know them; learn where they boost or cut frequencies.

Good luck and let us know what you decided on!
Posted By: Mac Re: New Amplifier - 10/06/09 10:49 PM
Quote:

I have been running my little bedroom studio with an old Fisher stereo receiver as the power source for the last few years, but it is getting tired and needs to be replaced.

Probably just needs all controls cleaned and lubed.

--Mac
Posted By: toucher Re: New Amplifier - 10/07/09 02:58 PM
I'm using the cheapest of the cheap. Everything I have is very low end.

Old Fisher rs1022 stereo receiver
Technics double cassette deck
KLH bookshelf speakers
Soundcraft Compact 4 mixer
MXL 990 Mic
Nady phones

Whatever else was on sale at the thrift shop.

Most of my money goes to the important stuff like food hehehe.
Posted By: Ryszard Re: New Amplifier - 10/07/09 03:23 PM
Quote:

Probably just needs all controls cleaned and lubed.

--Mac

Radio Shack has an aerosol control cleaner (part #64-4315) which is significantly better than what they offered in the past. I recently used it to restore a Behringer mixer which was given to me in which several of the faders had ceased to work due to heavy cigarette smoke. I thought that 11 bucks for a $200 mixer was a pretty good deal.

If switches and pots in your amp--or any other piece of equipment--are scratchy or intermittent, this may be just the fix.

R.
Posted By: Mike sings Re: New Amplifier - 10/07/09 03:38 PM
Citaat:

I'm using the cheapest of the cheap. Everything I have is very low end.

That may be. But your productions are top notch!
In the end it is not what you have but how you use your gear that makes the difference.

Should your amp (after Mac's sugestion) really need to be replaced, you might want to try selling your bookshelf speakers and go for a set of powered studio monitors. There a lots enough monitors available at $100 a piece (most monitors are sold per piece but there are that are sold as a set).
Posted By: toucher Re: New Amplifier - 10/07/09 05:23 PM
I think that will be the first step, to see if the pots and switches can be salvaged. Then I can start saving for some powered monitors.

I had considered that but read several reviews from people who did not get good results with the Radio Shack cleaner/lube, supposedly due to the silicon used for lubricating. Worth a try though. Thanks for all the input. After I get back in town next week I'll tear it apart and see what happens.
Posted By: rharv Re: New Amplifier - 10/07/09 05:56 PM
Don't use Radio Shack cleaner.
Maybe try something like CAIG brand ...

http://www.caig.com/
Looks like they've changed their product line name to DeOxit ...
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: New Amplifier - 10/07/09 07:21 PM
A while back i picked up a pair of BX5a powered monitors and i just absolutely love them, i found them at guitar center sitting in a blowout rack all scratched up, and it looked like they had had things stacked all over them, but the cones were in great shape. I bought them for under $100 and with some cleaning and a bit of flat black pain they look great.

But best of all they sound great. Sometime all one has to do is be patient, and wait for a deal to land in their lap. I use these now for all mixing, and also to play files for practice of live material.
Posted By: Beagle Re: New Amplifier - 10/08/09 07:40 PM
Quote:

It seems like a el cheapo pos to me. I just don't like it when some mfgr screams "1500 watts peak power!!" That usually means it's junk. I use one of these
Alesis RA300 You can find these all day on Ebay for about $150 used. Good quality amp and the best bang for your buck imho with none of that bs about peak power. I also picked up a nice SAE receiver at a yard sale for $50 a few months ago, that would work well in the studio too. SAE made some very good stuff back in the day.

Bob

It looks like this thread turned into a "monitor thread" instead of an amp thread, but I wanted to share this with you guys:
http://www.pssl.com/Alesis-RA500-Power-Amplifier

on sale brand new for $169! for the RA500, not the 300!
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: New Amplifier - 10/08/09 07:56 PM
For less than $100 used on ebay....

http://cgi.ebay.com/M-Audio-Studiophile-...=item4a9b4f4944

Gary
Posted By: rharv Re: New Amplifier - 10/08/09 08:05 PM
Hope I remember to check that in 4 days to see what it will take to own them
$95 is starting point
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: New Amplifier - 10/09/09 05:13 PM
Wow, good doggie! That's a great deal, hold on where's those biscuits?

Bob
Posted By: GDaddy Re: New Amplifier - 10/09/09 09:51 PM
As I've mentioned elsewhere, my gig amps are a 100W Fender Keyboard and a 300 W Behringer Keyboard...

but....for just a bass-guitar gig I take my Behringer BH1800...and for playing back my BIAB Real Tracks this baby makes the playback RB tracks of the software smack you upside yo head...very cool!

I know all the Behringer brand naysayers, but these bass cabs... semi-lightweight amps like the 1800...have fine at producing great sound at low wattage!

Sounds like an Ampeg when I play one of guitars through it. Well, after a Manhattan or two! It's just an great sounding lil thing at $250.

Behringer's Ultrabass BXL1800 delivers a ton of great features in an economical package. A wedge-shaped bass combo with a powerful 12" speaker and 180W of output, it is a perfect size for most gigs. It provides a clean and a distortion channel, each with full control. Its 7-band EQ features a revolutionary See-What-You-Play FBQ frequency indicator that immediately shows you which bass frequency corresponds with which fader on your EQ to allow you instant sound shaping. Beyond that, a switchable Ultrabass subharmonics processor and a compressor with adjustable threshold let you further tailor your sound to suit the style, while a musical limiter keeps you from ratting out when you're hitting the strings hard. An included 2-button footswitch lets you channel and Ultrabass select on the fly. An FX loop is provided, and a headphone jack lets you keep your practicing to yourself.

Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800 180W 1x12" Bass Combo Features:
Powerful 180W 2-channel bass combo in wedge-shaped cabinet allowing rock-back use
Original 12" Bugera speaker
Clean channel with dedicated gain control
Distortion channel with dedicated Gain, Shape and Level controls
Ultramusical, active 7-band graphic EQ with FBQ Spectrum Analyzer
Revolutionary See-What-You-Play FBQ frequency indicator for instant, targeted sound shaping
Switchable Ultrabass subharmonics processor for unbelievable low-end power
Integrated compressor smooths out volume peaks when playing dynamic slaps
Musical limiter for ultimate volume without distortion
Dual footswitch for Channel select and Ultrabass function included
Separate headphone output perfect for quiet practicing
Balanced XLR DI and line outputs for direct connection to your mixing console
CD input allows you to play along to your favorite music
Dedicated FX Insert for external effects devices (stomp boxes, rack effects, etc.)
High-quality components and exceptionally rugged construction
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: New Amplifier - 10/09/09 11:59 PM
Bob,
Yes it is a starting point. But, it was more of an example than an inducement to buy. There are deals out there, if you want to go looking for them.

Gary
Posted By: rharv Re: New Amplifier - 10/10/09 12:29 AM
Yep, and it looks like a good one.
Need to get the daughter decent headphones first, tempting as it is.
Gotta encourage the young 'uns.
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: New Amplifier - 10/10/09 08:44 PM
Yeah Bob, get one of the pair of $1,500 Sennheisers, let her listen to them, and then hand her a pair of $4 Eye Candy ones.

Just kidding, of course.

I still love my AKG K240's.

Gary
Posted By: toucher Re: New Amplifier - 10/18/09 07:15 AM
Well I went and did it........

The pots and switches cleaned up pretty well on the old receiver, so I decided to keep that and the KLH and Bose speakers for playback, then I ran across what I hope turns out to be a decent deal.

Like I said, budget concerns force me to take advantage of deals when they come along. After reading reviews on things, this is what I ordered today for basic mixing / recording etc.

The fostex monitors are minimal, but the reviews are pretty good in general, the MXL 990 is a decent budget mic, I use one already, and could use a second for the rare duet, haven't used the 991 before, so I'll see how that works out. Didn't really need more headphones, but they are basic senheisers, so how bad can they be for a singer to hear themselves. The mic stands I have one of these already, and they serve the purpose in a studio, they would hold up for a lot of gigging, but what the heck for the price they work fine.

Anyway, I got the whole deal as shown plus a two year unconditional warranty on the mics and monitors, and a shockmount for the mxl990, with free shipping for $283.00.

I guess it doesn't do the job I can always return it.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Gear-PM0.4-990991-Studio-Package?sku=600656

Thanks for the advice.

Rob
Posted By: toucher Re: New Amplifier - 10/24/09 06:52 PM
Holy cow,

Forget what I said about, keeping the receiver and the KLH and Bose stuff. Well I may keep the speakers for future home entertainment stuff. I cannot believe my ears.........

The little Fostex monitors blew me away.......

Apparently there are Much MUch better monitors out there, and someday I work up to them, but compared to the old receiver and bookshelf setup I was using, I am in awe.

The whole package was a deal, even though its all pretty low end stuff, but I know the MXL 990 works for me cuz I already have one. The stands and cables were a bonus for gigging from time to time, but I am very pleased with the whole package and price.

I really cannot believe I spent so long trying to work with the old receiver set up, it's a crying shame.

The olny problem is that Now I can really hear how bad I can be at times........:)

Seriously if you need any equipment, and are on a tight tight budget, check out this package.
Posted By: Ryszard Re: New Amplifier - 10/24/09 08:04 PM
When I got my present set of reference monitors, I recall thinking, "Hey, the old ones weren't so bad--if I had my ears stuffed with cotton." Seriously, I was and am extremely happy with a purpose-built setup and I know you will be, too.

Congratulations on your new rig. It's a better tool, but adds greatly to the pleasure of the process as well.

R.
Posted By: rharv Re: New Amplifier - 10/24/09 09:46 PM
Yeah, having that balanced sound in the design of the amps and crossovers really does make a big difference.

I'm happy for you. I remember that exact feeling .. a couple of times!
© PG Music Forums