PG Music Home
I've been using BIAB, Realband... 2009.5, and I like the many midi sounds I get out with the included VST DXi for instruments like piano, trumpets, etc... but, when it comes to Electric Jazz Guitar (or even Acoustic/Nylon) guitars they don't sound anything close to a real guitar... Does anyone have any suggestion of some software-bases solutions (Not too expensive please)?

Thansks.
Hi!
The ForteDXi is a quite cheap plug-in that enhanced my midi guitar sounds. You can try it for free. Head over to http://www.pgmusic.com/fortedxi.htm

- Jepster
Something you can do to improve the sound of the guitar is to use the stylemaker feature. Find a style that you think sounds good and then listen to each guitar part. When you here something that does not sound right delete it, once you have all of the patterns you want to keep. save it under a new style name. That way the original style will remain. Then you will have a new style with guitar parts that sound better. Most people believe that the forte dxi is a big improvement from the vsc that is given free with biab. Sometimes though you can make a big difference just by editing the style. Often what hurts the guitar sound is just the unrealistic way in which it plays. This can be improved by editing the style. Also if you have a style that has a guitar sound you like you can create a hybrid style using the guitar from that style. I hope this helps. The sd2 that pg sales is a HUGEEEEE improvement from the vsc and forte. It is just how much money you have to spend.

Listen To My Music
Read My Blog
Umm, from the signature, it looks like you play guitar.
Why not just record your own parts, or use realtracks?

One way to help the midi sounds is to run them thru a guitar processing effect; it helps add to the illusion, espcially electric guitar sounds.

As PGFantastic alluded to, the way the midi track is played has a lot to do with it too. If the track is recorded by a piano player pounding out chords, it will not sound like a guitar just by changing the sound. Think about the mechanics of how a guitar creates sound - the strings are strummed in either direction, so it helps if the midi track is laid out that way... there is a lot to consider besides just the tones used. A finger squeek here and there also adds to the illusion..

Getting into soundfonts will give you a lot of free choices to experiment with.
I created a nylon gtr soundfont a while back that a few people really liked, and I have found others that I liked more.
Music lab has a VST "Real Guitar" that sounds better than most and can be used as a vst from a KB to a midi track then back out in a final mix.They also have something new coming out. It's a Les Paul vst, I have not heard it yet but if it's as good as the real guitar, it should sound very good.
Wyndham
rharv, yes I do play the guitar... what I am trying to do is learn a few solos that came with Jazz Guitar Solos (which came in EverythingPAK)... and then eventually record them while I play the guitar part... they're loooong pieces -- around 200 Bars of solo. So in order to learn, I render the pieces I like into mp3 and listen to them while I'm out and about (driving etc...) until I feel really comfortable with the melodies. The midi version of the melody/guitar part is "OK" but a bit annoying trying to listen to over and over. Hence why I am looking for a way to make it a bit more palatable -- until I eventaully do my own recording. The TABs are helpful (as I am not too good with reading regular notes just yet LOL), but the pieces are not all very easy to learn...

Thanks for some of the great suggestions too. I am going to look into them. Also I read some good reviews here about the ketron DS2... although I am not sure I want to spend so much just yet...

Wyndham, that Les Paul thingy sounds intereting too... I like Gibsons. As you can see I play the ES-339 myself and am thinking of a Les Paul someday too ;-)

On a different note, I just purchased a Behringer mixer (1202FX) and a Canon Camcorder (FS20).... I am eventually going to make some videos of my playing, using BIAB or RB playing along with me.... I will input the sound coming from my PC (BIAB) into the mixer along with my guitar amp's "line-out" and take the whole mixed sound into the camera's MIC input... while I play live and video tape. Curious to see how how it would all sound... LOL!
Agreed with Wyndham: If you can afford Real Guitar, it truly is great. But there are a few really nice freebies out there, like Spicy Guitar and Flamingo. And, like PGF and rHarv said, processing the raw guitar sound and playing with the MIDI file itself can help a lot. I have also found a few really good soundfonts, but bluntly the best of those are commercial, from Sonivox, and they've put most of them into much-easier-to-use plugin instruments nowadays.
Here's an example of the difference between the MIDI version, and me playing the guitar melody.

Midi Version: http://www.Tchairdjian.com/mp3/GS051.mp3
Me playing: http://www.Tchairdjian.com/mp3/TheEndGame.WMA

I've been reading your suggestions... and I am a bit confused with these options. i.e. what is Soundfonts, and how can I process a "raw guitar sound".

I checked Sonivox's Website too but I have no idea where these pieces would fit? Do Ihave to change the whole GM? or just the guitar parts?

And the real guitar software looks like a whole software piece rather than a patch... I am confused.
I’ll try to answer some of your questions, but first IMHO YOU should be playing the guitar parts and not some software package. Trying to emulate all of a guitarist’s nuances into midi is almost impossible. Although I’ve heard some very convincing midi guitar parts the time it takes to create them is extremely long compared to the time it takes for a guitarist it just play them. Plus you have the chops!

Soundfonts (SF2) are samples made for either a Creative Lab sound card or a soundfont player. SFZ is a free SF2 player you can download and there are a ton of free SF2s out there also. Some of these free ones are very good. Just remember that SF2’s are at the lower end of the sample scale. That is there are very few samples to each sound when compared to higher end and more costly players such as Kontakt and Sonivox thus, although I mentioned some a very good, they may not be as realistic sounding as you want.

SFZ, real guitar and Sonivox are VSTi’s. These are plugins that you can use with Realband. You will need a midi controller (keyboard, guitar etc) or you can input individual notes via the piano roll. The VST is the sound source, i.e. whatever sound you pick is what you will hear.

To process a raw guitar sound I render the midi file to a wav file then run the wav file through an amp modeler (there are some free ones out there) and/or some effects. This can help add some realism to a guitar part. Note that this is how I add effects to my real guitar playing many times. Record the guitar then play with the effects in my sequencer. Also note that there are many really good free effects out there. This site will have most of what you want.

IMHO I would record my own guitar parts. Purchasing an amp modeler such as V-Amp, Line 6 POD or a small Vox modeling amp may be another option.

Also remember that google is our friend. You can find the pros and cons on everything there.

I hope this helps.
Hi,

I too struggled with this issue. I bought every sampled guitar library, even hired a session guy to play guitar.....that got expensive. One day a buddy of mine suggested I check out the following guitar library>

http://www.pettinhouse.com/html/directguitar.html

I watched the demos, after I picked my jaw off the floor, I purchased both the jazz and rock guitar library, I haven't looked back since. I can't recommend it enough, there is NO library or samples out there that can touch it, and the price is very low-$130!!!
VERY easy to use, tons of articulations and variations......

Bottom line, the realism of this library is scary!

Ed
I found a great website with EXTENSIVE information on this subject... things finally make sense now... For anyone interested, here is the URL: http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

Not only it has detailed information on how to set up Home Studios (from begineers to Professional), but also has a great educational section on audio plug-ins, effects, VST, Synths, MIDI, Cables, etc etc... I wish I had seen this first.
© PG Music Forums