PG Music Home
Posted By: WienSam Canadians in Vancouver - 11/28/09 09:49 AM
What is in the water up there? I have so much fun with products from Vancouver!

On a business level, I am Marketing Director for the Beer Machine in Austria, invented in Vancouver. On a personal dream level I am involved with PG software, invented in Vancouver. My life just would not be the same without either of these two businesses...

Thank you Vancouver for the fun in my life!
Posted By: John Conley Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 11/28/09 12:20 PM
Well PG Music is in Victoria, and perhaps one of the best trips going is to take the ferry from Vancouver to the island. I've 2 sisters who live on the island, and love to visit. As soon as gypsies come by and want my 19 year old daughter, I'm trading her for a caravan and I'm traveling for 5 years. Got the cash, got the gear, just need the last of the 4 kids to leave the nest.
Posted By: Ian Fraser Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 11/28/09 03:02 PM
I think it has to do with the temperate climate Sam - no brain freeze for six months of the year on the West coast, only snow in the mountains - Vancouver drivers can't handle snow driving, they just pull over and park then walk home. . . .
just too much rain for my liking in Vancouver, Victoria which is off the coast is sunnier. BC is more kin to Californian trends than to the rest of Canada - I have five kids who moved West and make their homes in Vancouver (4) and Whistler (1).

My home is in Ottawa, 2nd coldest capital city in the world next to Mongolia's. Seriously. Ottawa is also the seat of our federal government - ask anybody about the brain freeze on Parliament Hill - very few good ideas come from here

Ian
Posted By: John Conley Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 11/28/09 03:17 PM
Well at least you get 10 months of winter and 2 months of bad snowmobiling. The only city where you can skate to the next province or 1/2 way to Montreal. LOL.

In Vancouver you can golf in the morning and go skiing in the afternoon.
Posted By: Ian Fraser Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 11/28/09 03:39 PM
LOL John.
Not dumping on BC - it's just another world on the other side of those mountains.
You stand there looking East and Ottawa is a l-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-ng ways away.
Flying out there this summer past to son's wedding, we saw a brown cloud from the Okanagan fires stretching halfway across BC and it takes about an hour to fly across BC - you definitely get a sense of separation from the rest of Canada when you're there.

Ian
Posted By: Ian Fraser Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 11/28/09 03:58 PM
Ottawa - Nov 28, no snow yet, sunny, high today about 2C/35F.
Here's a link to winter pics of Ottawa if anyone out there is curious
Ottawa Winter pics
Sunny, windy - a good day to stay inside and work on some tunes.

Cheers All
Posted By: Curmudgeon Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 11/28/09 04:02 PM
We drove up to Vancouver and took the ferry to Victoria and really enjoyed the trip. Flowers everywhere in both cities and a lot of quality sidewalk entertainment from street musicians and other acts. Really enjoyed the Buchart (sp) Gardens a few miles north of Victoria.

Don S.
Posted By: Ian Fraser Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 11/28/09 04:13 PM
Quite a drive, Don - the cities are quite beautiful. In all fairness when I was in Vancouver last summer they had a two-week record heat wave - lots of sun, little rain - unusual for the coast.

Ian
Posted By: Glenn Kolot Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 11/28/09 05:04 PM
I live in the heart of Victoria (my front windows face Beacon Hill Park). Ten minute walk to the ocean.

Today it's raining (November is the wettest month), but yesterday it was +10C and sunny all day. My relatives in Saskatchewan all think that our weather is the same as Vancouver's - it is except it isn't as hot or cold, and we get about 1/2 the rain 'Couver gets.

The water in Vancouver (and Victoria) comes from reservoirs fed by watersheds in the mountains/hills above the cities - rain and some snowmelt that requires very little treatment other than disinfection for safety. Virtually no hardness at all. Without any hardness, it makes great beer, and the number of small or micro breweries attests to this. Sam knows what I mean.

Glenn

When I update Powertracks, I drive to PG's office, pay for it and pick it up. It's a ten minute drive from here.
Posted By: Ian Fraser Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 11/28/09 05:15 PM
I was in Victoria once in '68 as a student, we landed and then caught a bus for Shawnigan Lake. Stayed at a lodge there then canoed across the lake to visit two girls I knew who attended the girls' school there. My basic tour of Victoria was a walk around the Empress hotel and the waterfront.

Tell me Glenn, does PG have a storefront? I've never thought to ask.

Ian
Posted By: Rutabago Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 11/28/09 05:29 PM
I'm not sure if it started there, but I believe that PG Music was located im Missisauga, close to Toronto before it re-located to Victoria. The only really important thing is that it is somewhere. That it exists...Hank
Posted By: WienSam Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 11/28/09 06:21 PM
If PG have an actual shop, could somebody take a photo and post it up here, please? I would love to see what it looks like.

Glenn, I see you post your location as 'PC City'. Cool!
Posted By: Oren Fisher Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 11/29/09 03:50 AM
I live about a 5 minute walk from Glenn's place, next to Beacon Hill Park, Victoria.

When going to get a new release from PG Music, it's a 15 minute bus ride to the north end of town. Located in what appears to be an old two-storey motel - no sign, no reception area - last I saw.

A strangely creative bunch of folk live here. Home turf for: a group of programmers who do(did?) software development for Korg; another group of programmers who do(did?) software development for Digitech; the ACD photo manipulation software company; formerly the home of Larrivee guitars; home of Rod Evans of Evans guitar pickups; hosts of last year's international Linux conference; home of the largest (per capita) Canadian population of wiccans/witches/pagans (one of them a prominent local politician, author and educator); centre for a west coast aboriginal language preservation project.

Victoria, a small island city, is often confused with Vancouver, a large mainland city, because we are situated on the southern tip of Vancouver Island.
Posted By: Ian Fraser Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 11/29/09 03:58 AM
Oren . . . hmmm! Changed a bit since I was there - must be a fascinating enclave. probably feel the intellectual energy a block away . . . seriously. Appreciate the insight. Next time in Vancouver, I will have to commandeer one of my kids' cars for a "drive" over.

Ian
Posted By: WienSam Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 11/29/09 03:59 AM
Its also home to the business I represent here in Vienna. We are the distributors (exclusive contract for 10 countries in Central Europe) for The Beer Machine
Posted By: Glenn Kolot Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 11/29/09 04:14 AM
Too many posts to respond to by quoting to each.

Ian: They occupy a portion of a two storey building on Cadillac Avenue in Saanich (a municipality adjacent to Victoria - there are about twelve such other municipalities that use Victoria as their mailing address even though they have elected mayors and councillors). There is no sign identifying them, so when I first went there I had trouble finding the place. Oren described it quite well.

Rutabago: A pianist friend of mine rebuilds and deals in pianos - Peter Gannon bought a piano from him. It's been discussed on this forum before, but PG was trained as a physician (I don't know anymore so can't add to this). So my guess is that PG Music started here, but then it may have originated somewhere else - don't know.

Sam: I hope it reads PG City or I'll have to fix it.

Oren: Actually if you haven't moved, I could get to your place on one breath of air. Which reminds me, I have some letters to mail on Quadra right beside your building.

Ian: (again): I was first here in 1963, and it's change immensely since then. I moved here in 2000, and it's change a lot since then.

If any of you guys are here and have some spare time, you can find me in the phone book (it's my real name), but be careful as my daughter and son use the same last name. Being semi-retired, I have the time to tour special PG guests around the city, and would welcome the chance.

Glenn
Posted By: Ian Fraser Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 11/29/09 04:22 AM
Seems to me I remember PG Music being in Buffalo AND Victoria back in the early 90s.

I'll give you fair warning if I ever get there.

Ian
Posted By: WienSam Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 11/29/09 04:36 AM
Glenn, I may be there sooner than we both think! If it all works out right with The Beer Machine, I could well be visiting. If I managed to make it to Vancouver, somehow, do you think I would not look up friends like you or check out the PG home?
Posted By: Ian Fraser Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 11/29/09 04:46 AM
Quote:

If I managed to make it to Vancouver, somehow, do you think I would not look up friends like you or check out the PG home?

Sam - having "been there, and NOT done that" - I feel truly chastised and humbled.

Ian
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 11/29/09 04:53 AM
a very beautiful area. i often visited friends in port coquitlem (sp?) while i lived in seattle. fond memories. superb beer. i too would like to see a photo of the pg music facilities glenn.
Posted By: WienSam Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 11/29/09 05:00 AM
Quote:

Quote:

If I managed to make it to Vancouver, somehow, do you think I would not look up friends like you or check out the PG home?

Sam - having "been there, and NOT done that" - I feel truly chastised and humbled.

Ian

Well, more fool you, Ian!
Posted By: John Conley Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 11/29/09 02:25 PM
After reading parts of this thread, I noticed in our local newspaper, Come to B.C. Whistler, (about a 2 hour drive on the Sea to Sky highway north east of Vancouver), had 17 feet of snow in November. I used to golf with my uncle on a par 3 course in Vancouver when he had his lunch break, and you'd see people with skis on top of the cars going up the mountains to ski. But 17 feet of snow? We used to get that in a year north of Superior, and I'd have to shovel the snow off the roof, UP! The street was like a tunnel without a roof, 10 to 12 feet of snow, carved out by a big snowblower,shoot it into a dump truck, drive out on the lake and dump it.
Posted By: the_blooze Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 11/29/09 02:58 PM
I moved from Victoria to Southern Ontario in April of this year. Victoria is a truly beautiful city. Completely unlike Vancouver. If you want to visit there from Vancouver, you need to have lots of time on your hands; as its a 2 hour ferry ride, an hours driving, and 1 to 2 hours waiting at the ferry each way. living in Victoria, most residents don't visit Vancouver more than once or twice a year, as compared to the Island, there's not much you're missing. Island life is a lot slower, and more relaxed, even slower if you're lucky enough to visit the gulf islands or the Sunshine Coast. The PG Music headquarters is very unassuming, 99% of Victoria's population would never suspect it was there, including most local musicians.

If you love outdoor life, the Islands have a lifetime of wonderful places to visit and enjoy. Including the West Coast trail, Cape Scott trail, incredible Long Beach, Strathcona Park, Hornby Island and all the other Islands.

The Victoria Bluegrass Association has wonderful Tuesday night jam sessions. all kinds of amazing musicians live around the area, including Valdi, Sheri Ulrich, Burton Cummings, Randy Bachman, it truly is an amazing area.

My 2 cents worth, Andrew
Posted By: Oren Fisher Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 11/29/09 03:48 PM
Quote:

... most residents don't visit Vancouver more than once or twice a year, as compared to the Island, there's not much you're missing. Island life is a lot slower, and more relaxed, even slower if you're lucky enough to visit the gulf islands or the Sunshine Coast. The PG Music headquarters is very unassuming, 99% of Victoria's population would never suspect it was there, including most local musicians.

If you love outdoor life, the Islands have a lifetime of wonderful places to visit and enjoy. Including the West Coast trail, Cape Scott trail, incredible Long Beach, Strathcona Park, Hornby Island and all the other Islands.

The Victoria Bluegrass Association has wonderful Tuesday night jam sessions. all kinds of amazing musicians live around the area, including Valdi, Sheri Ulrich, Burton Cummings, Randy Bachman, it truly is an amazing area...

Working at the local international hostel provides me with an unique perspective on Victoria. There are two versions of the town experienced by visitors: the one that tourists see, and the one that travelers experience.

Tourists see the Royal B.C. Museum, the big hotels, the shopping, the legislative buildings, and the whale-watching tours. Tourist attractions.

Travelers tend to enjoy the more subtle pleasures of our little city: wooden boat restoration, massive blackberry brambles bearing fruit in late summer, long hiking trails through old-growth temperate rainforest, alternative life-style communities experimenting with solar/wind/tidal power and cob building construction, our peacefully militant "take back the night" folks marching through town in little groups late at night forcing junkies and drunks off the sidewalks, farmer's markets featuring in-season local organic produce... you get the picture.
Posted By: Curmudgeon Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 11/29/09 04:28 PM
Oren,

When we were there, we saw about 100 nude bicyclists protesting one thing or the other. Most of them were a sight for sore eyes.

Don S.
Posted By: Oren Fisher Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 11/29/09 05:41 PM
Don,
Sounds breezy! I like to ride with a lot of clothes on....
The naked bicycling thing happens in cities across the country once a year... I can't remember the occasion. You want to participate next summer, I have a nice bicycle. And a camera.
Posted By: Curmudgeon Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 11/29/09 10:51 PM
Quote:

Don,
Sounds breezy! I like to ride with a lot of clothes on....
The naked bicycling thing happens in cities across the country once a year... I can't remember the occasion. You want to participate next summer, I have a nice bicycle. And a camera.

Thanks but, no thanks. I'm staying off of bikes as I have bit of a balance problem.

Plus, I'd be a bigger sight for sore eyes.

Don S.
Posted By: John Conley Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 11/30/09 12:15 AM
Bigger eh? Bragger. LOL
Posted By: Curmudgeon Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 11/30/09 12:38 AM
Quote:

Bigger eh? Bragger. LOL

After I posted that, I was thinking that I should have phrased it differently.

Don S.
Posted By: John Conley Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 11/30/09 12:43 AM
I at a stage where I find humour in everything. Almost.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 11/30/09 02:55 AM
don't you mean HUMOR john. giggle
Posted By: Glenn Kolot Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 11/30/09 02:58 AM
Quote:

don't you mean HUMOR john. giggle

Actually no, we use the English language and that's how humour is spelled.

Glenn
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 11/30/09 06:19 AM
i am apprised, aware and cognizant at the same time glenn, but i love to tease john. no offense intended. actually, my parents were canadian and that's how mom spelled it too. i argued with my school teachers about it. another point was the omission of the article 'the' in phrases like "going to hospital." i can go on... just having a little innocent fun with john. now, how about that pic of pg headquarters?
Posted By: Ian Fraser Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 11/30/09 09:46 PM
No offense here Don.

Theory is we find something funny because of the horror of it actually coming true.
In that spirit here is another spelling humor/humour, humorose. The spellchecker tells me that I am wrong, maybe I should add a "u" before the "r".

Ian
Posted By: Oren Fisher Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 11/30/09 10:10 PM
Let's see... favourite comes up as a spelling error in both Windows and Linux. Rhubarb, doughnut, and beer still work, but for how long?
Posted By: John Conley Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 11/30/09 11:29 PM
I find the beer wears off after a few hours. Unless it's purchased in some states, and then you spend more time in the can that drinking. LOL. And remember I did give 'em props on Sam Adams beer. It always amazes me when people think we are so similar, and yet I feel so much different than the Americans I know.

I wish Corner Gas was sticking around to do the Grey Cup thing. Actually Sask. won, the 13th man made no difference to the outcome, except for the fact the the bone heads sent in a guy to do nothing in the end zone. Let's not try and explain Canuck football to Americans. 12 men, 25 yard endzones, 3 downs, wider field, 55 yard line, 10 seconds less in the huddle, single points...hm...

I think they should have Hank from Corner Gas yelling at the guy to get in there....and Oscar stomping on his hat....and Lacie as a cheerleader. Oh well...

Next we can share curling stories...hurry hard!

John, Past President of the White Otter Curling Club, north of Manitouwadge and south of Longlac, on the flats above the river. Where on Grey Cup day the bear broke into the house and I shot it in the kitchen.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 12/01/09 12:33 AM
where, exactly, is a bear's 'kitchen', john? lets talk aboot how to pronounce 'been' and 'about.' is it 'bean' and 'aboot?'
truly, the us, uk, and canada are three great nations divided by a common language. but i always enjoy your posts.
oklahomans have a language all their own.
Posted By: John Conley Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 12/01/09 12:41 AM
The bear was the only one would eat the ex wife's meat loaf. My kids came into the living room telling me about a 50 foot bear in the kitchen. The Lee Enfield came in handy.

We lived with 2 kids in one of 10 houses in a lumber camp. The men mostly lived in the bunkhouses, 400 of them. I was weekend supervisor, foreman, and eventually Fire Marshal. 400 miles of private gravel roads, 2 million acres of timber, and 500 million black flies, who were outnumbered by the sand files and mosquitoes. But we had our own curling club, and one month of bad snowshoeing in the summer.
Posted By: rharv Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 12/01/09 12:50 AM
You greatly underestimate the number of flies .. unless it was winter!
Posted By: Glenn Kolot Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 12/01/09 01:44 AM
Quote:

Next we can share curling stories...hurry hard!

The lady that coined that expression is just about at saint status in Saskatchewan (where I come from). It was a sad day for us when Sandra Schmirler succumbed to cancer.

http://www.cbc.ca/lifeandtimes/schmirler.html

G
Posted By: John Conley Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 12/01/09 02:38 AM
I got that too Glenn, at the time it was hard to admit I'd cry but I did.

Now I'm older they play O Canada and I cry. Oh well...

OTOH, what's her name on CBC was doing the weather, Colleen the curling chick, turns my crank.

And women's curling in kilts, HOT. LOL
Posted By: John Conley Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 12/01/09 02:39 AM
I remember now, I'm jonesing for her. Damn kids.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 12/01/09 03:03 AM
Quote:

...oklahomans have a language all their own.

having been (bean) educated in minnesota where strict grammar is taught, you can imagine my shock upon my first exposure to oklahoman. there simply aren't any grammatical rules used. perhaps i have been/bean emersed in it too long because it no longer raises the hairs on the nape of my neck to listen to it.

i thought minnesota was the mesquito capital of the known world, john. as a kid my mom would come in my bedroom with a pump sprayer full of ddt and mist my room. then she would smear my bites with a baking soda paste to relieve the itching. i've often wondered how much ddt i have breathed in my youth.
Posted By: John Conley Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 12/01/09 03:40 AM
The further you go north the worse the mosquitoes. You have no actual idea. I've sat in the tent, and looked out, and the 2 Cree Indians with our group move a hand rolled smoke over their lips so the bugs, standing 3 or 4 deep waiting to suck blood are out of the way. I was tough, but at 10 at night, when it's humid there in July, north of Kapuskasing, I gotta say, I went in the tent, and did not go outside. I remember surveying a road, looking down, and I can't see my feet for the bugs.

On the plus side, you really get used to it, bite the bullet and let them eat you. After the 2nd year they become like dust in the wind. No problem.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 12/01/09 04:23 AM
my aunt's farm was on dollar lake just north of nashwaulk, minnesota. when visiting her it was customary to keep smudge pots going all night just to be able to sleep. the mesquitoes were so thick it became impossible to breathe through the mouth without inhaling a few dozen. ok, your turn.
Posted By: marion145 Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 01/14/10 07:45 AM
I agree with the above thought...........

Marion Barrett
<a href="http://www.divineflowers.ca" rel="dofollow">vancouver flowers</a>
Posted By: marion145 Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 01/14/10 07:48 AM
I agree with the above thoughts...

Marion Barrett
vancouver flowers
Posted By: RickeG Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 01/14/10 08:30 PM
One thing PG Music exposed me to was the musicians of Canada. So far, the Real Band selections I choose show in their comments a brief explanation of their Canadian heritage. I would say that Peter is a proud Canadian. I had one experience in Canada and that was in Montreal. And being a kid from New York City the first thing I stood amazed about was their subway. It's clean and on time. AMAZING! In fact, in the part of town I stayed I do not recall even seeing a piece of litter on the ground. Wow, this ain't no Florida where the cars are clean because the roads aren't.

I would love to see the west coast of Canada where you are all talking about. It sounds beautiful. In fact, I am going to try to google earth the place to see if there are any ground level tours I can take. Thank the Lord for the Internet!
Cheers!
RickeG
Posted By: DennisD Re: Canadians in Vancouver - 01/14/10 11:40 PM
Just thought I'd add my two cents to this thread. I don't know exactly how long PG Music has been at 29 Cadillac Rd but I have been picking up my copy of BIAB there since at least Version 8 (?1992?). I previously ordered by mail (versions 5 to 7) so I can't comment on any other physical location. I can say that in the early days PG occuppied Suite 29 on the second floor and some 8 years ago they also took up residence in the suite below them as a warehouse. My Christmas present to myself, is that every Christmas I spend the holidays with my two daughters (and granddaughters) in Victoria, so I order the latest versions of BIAB, PTPA and now RB and pick them up while I am there. I don't know if they are really set up to handle walk in customers, but the staff has always been accommodating, polite, and helpful in my updates. I actually met Peter a couple of times in the "early" days when he was more hands on in the sales end.
I think the cities in more moderate climate gives the time for more creativity. Look at Seattle for instance they have Micro$oft, Mackie, Boeing, Jimi Hendricks, Mark O’Connor, and so on. Certainly, other cities offer great artists as well but in my own experience of being raised in the interior of BC, I was spending more time shovelling snow when I’d rather be playing music.
Glenn I get to Victoria usually February, June, September, and December of every year. My daughter lives up near Shellbourne St and Felton. Would love to meet a fellow PG’er for a coffee sometime.
DennisD
© PG Music Forums