PG Music Home
Posted By: Don Gaynor Who was Jim Croce's lead guitarist? - 01/01/10 04:19 AM
checked the web but no help. anyone have an album jacket that credits him? he played on 'operator' and most of jim's tunes. trying to determine what he is doing today if still living.
tia
don
Posted By: DrDan Re: Who was Jim Croce's lead guitarist? - 01/01/10 04:22 AM
Maury Muehleisen - both him and Jim along with other band members died in a plane crash. -RIP
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Who was Jim Croce's lead guitarist? - 01/01/10 04:36 AM
thanks dan. so sad. i saw them both on youtube today doing 'operator' thus the question. do you know if he did any solo work?

here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2iS8XctJKo
Posted By: DrDan Re: Who was Jim Croce's lead guitarist? - 01/01/10 05:16 AM
Best to find his music at the offical tribute site:

maury muehleisen
Posted By: Mac Re: Who was Jim Croce's lead guitarist? - 01/01/10 02:44 PM
Maury.

Was one of the few from the era who actually really understood and could actually play the guitar. Seriously.

"Hey -- I musta took lessons!" <g>

"Operator" -- Maury's signature licks made this tune, man. Everyone who plays a guitar should learn it. IMHO. It is "right up there" alongside the original "Brown Eyed Girl" lead guitar part. And that's sayin' sumthin'. Both parts were influenced heavily by Jazz Guitar studies that the players were working out. The George Van Epps stuff IIRC.

--Mac
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: Who was Jim Croce's lead guitarist? - 01/01/10 08:22 PM
Mac,
No offense intended, but what don't you know about music?

Gary
Posted By: John Conley Re: Who was Jim Croce's lead guitarist? - 01/01/10 08:40 PM
Bet he doesn't know Stompin Tom from Don Messer. LOL
Posted By: Mac Re: Who was Jim Croce's lead guitarist? - 01/02/10 01:12 AM
Just too many years of coverband and session work, man.

There was a time when a producer or another higher up would tell the guitar session he wanted somethin' like Maury did, or maybe just "that guy who played with Croce".

Ya gotta know the subject to stay employed.

Sometimes, even that is not enough.

--Mac
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Who was Jim Croce's lead guitarist? - 01/02/10 03:18 AM
his guitar licks reminds me a lot of red shea, gordon lightfoot's guitarist. he (red) was schooled in classical guitar and used a lot of classicl chord structure in his work with lightfoot. you can hear it in his tunes.
Posted By: Mac Re: Who was Jim Croce's lead guitarist? - 01/02/10 04:28 PM
That would be due to the use of Double Stops, especially in scale runs where there are two notes of the scale playing together, either ascending or descending.

The guitar lends itself so well to these, especially in the skipstring 6ths and 3rds, that I have often wondered why so many guitar players never bother to learn or expoit those patterns more.

--Mac
Posted By: DrDUBose Re: Who was Jim Croce's lead guitarist? - 01/02/10 08:48 PM
You've got to be kidding, Mac....Rhythm and blues playing guitarists have been using double stops since the cows came home... Recall a fellow named Chuck Berry, then check memory cells for a Texan named Johny Winter, and most blues guitarists of our generation including, Clapton, Duane Allman, all the Kings, Hendrix, and Stevie Ray Vaughn, and most slide players as well. Learning those by ear as a staple set of riffs, in any key has been a required right of passage for any aspiring blues player attempting to play like these icons. Listen at 1:34 of so and hear such a staple... And I don't think he spent much time with your friend George... though I must admit, I was stunned to realize that Steve Vai was not the creator of the first seven string guitar!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp1i4TrWBjM
Posted By: pmwizard Re: Who was Jim Croce's lead guitarist? - 01/02/10 08:59 PM
If you listen to Croce's albums, his music is timeless. His music has always been enjoyable. I only wish I could have heard him live before he died.
Posted By: Mac Re: Who was Jim Croce's lead guitarist? - 01/02/10 10:16 PM
Quote:

You've got to be kidding, Mac....Rhythm and blues playing guitarists have been using double stops since the cows came home... Recall a fellow named Chuck Berry, then check memory cells for a Texan named Johny Winter, and most blues guitarists of our generation including, Clapton, Duane Allman, all the Kings, Hendrix, and Stevie Ray Vaughn, and most slide players as well. ...

I would never kid about something so important (grin).

You must have overlooked the part I wrote about *scale-based* double-stop runs.

The example you cite is not a Double Stop. Duane was *arpeggiating* there, and he used a slide, which would make the scalar motion double stop in 3rds or 6ths unable to cross from major to minor on the steps of the scale where needed. And the two notes must be played simultaneously to do what I'm talkin' about. -- "Brown Eyed Girl" man.

And Georgie don't play no double stop scale runs.

Now, if you had mentioned Skunk Baxter...

--Mac
Posted By: rudymalo Re: Who was Jim Croce's lead guitarist? - 09/17/17 05:55 PM
Maury Muehleisen, Jim's lead guitarist, was a good friend of mine and actually taught me some of my first lessons on the guitar. I taped them during a jam session once in a church in Trenton, NJ.
AAWWWWWW .. I saw this post & I thought that our friend Mac was back.
Then I saw the dates blush
© PG Music Forums