PG Music Home
Posted By: Planobilly Hiding under a rock - 12/11/21 02:06 PM
At times in the past when I have asked a young teenager if they have listened to Hotel California, they say "I don't know the song". I am thinking, jeez, you been living under a rock?

Well...I guess it is now my turn to be the one who does not know about some song "all" the young people know about. Well, at least my "rock" has AC...lol

So...do you know who "LP" is? Am I the only one who does not know? My "rock" does have internet...lol

Evidently "LP" aka Laura Pergolizzi has written songs for Joe Walsh ( you remember that guy right? played on that obscure song Hotel California), Cher, Celine Dion, Rihanna, and the Backstreet Boys just to name a few.

Here is a link to one of my new "kids" requests for a song I am supposed to learn to play.

https://youtu.be/wDjeBNv6ip0

Because these new young girls I am running around with are in some cases very very cute I have had to explain to my wife that these are children I failed to mention from a previous marriage...lol

Lack of knowledge of new music may not be my only issue...lol

Billy
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Hiding under a rock - 12/11/21 02:28 PM
Lenny Pickett from Tower of Power is the only LP I know. Well, the only one that matters to me.

Liquid Propane
Long Playing
Lemon Pie
Lori Perry
Latin Percussion
Listen, Punk... (for CLint Eastwood fans)
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: Hiding under a rock - 12/11/21 02:49 PM
Good luck with those high vocals Billy :-)

I quite like that.
Posted By: KeithS Re: Hiding under a rock - 12/11/21 04:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Planobilly

So...do you know who "LP" is?

Hell Billy, I would have said Les Paul ; You know, the guy that they named the LP record after (just kidding of course grin).
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Hiding under a rock - 12/11/21 06:20 PM
There is no danger of me singing any of that song...lol
That is the vocalist job.

I did go play through the guitar parts and read where the original was in Bb but capo up one fret.

The song is all vocal-based and bass guitar riff. The rest of the band is just sort of hanging out.

I think if I was going to do this live as a duo to a backing track, I would just play the bass part live.

I just wonder how many other artists who have
" LP - Lost On You [Live Session]
890,021,524 viewsJan 12, 2016 " that I don't know about.

890,021.524 views...that is a lot of people.

I think it is very easy to discount out of hand new artists because many of us older people don't like most of the music that is being produced today.

Being around young musicians is proving to be a lot of fun for me.

Billy
Posted By: MarioD Re: Hiding under a rock - 12/11/21 06:30 PM
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Lenny Pickett from Tower of Power is the only LP I know. Well, the only one that matters to me.

Liquid Propane
Long Playing
Lemon Pie
Lori Perry
Latin Percussion
Listen, Punk... (for CLint Eastwood fans)

Eddie, you forgot
Lets Party!
Posted By: Joe V Re: Hiding under a rock - 12/18/21 11:01 AM
When I first heard that LP Lost on You song, I think I listened to it 50 times in several weeks. There is something really really catchy (to me at least) about the whole thing - vocals, vibe, groove...not sure why - anybody else catch an ear worm for that song ?

So I gave their other songs a listen - but nothing caught me like this one.

Also - initially I couldn't tell the gender - I think she's got that non-binary thing going.
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Hiding under a rock - 12/18/21 02:03 PM
I also explored her other songs. Did a bit of analysis of how they were constructed. The sheet music I have seen shows Key of A flat 87BPM 4/4 time. The vocal range is F3 to Db5. I watched the videos to get a feel for the central theme. She fits the current mold of what one of the main themes of the arts and entertainment industry is and currently promoting. Probably not the forum to discuss the details.

I also have started listening to the many songs she has written for other famous artists.

The bass line is very prominent in this song. It also followed the current attraction to quarter note movement. The kick drum is also playing quarter notes. As the song progresses they move to an eight-note movement and a higher pitch in the vocal and the song builds in intensity. Well done stuff!

895,382,429 views, so I don't think we are the only ones attracted to the song...lol

Billy
© PG Music Forums