PG Music Home
Posted By: floyd jane A bunch of old guys playing Funk #49 - 02/03/22 05:06 PM
If they keep it up, they make a name for themselves...

(Lee Sklar is amazing.)
Posted By: MarioD Re: A bunch of old guys playing Funk #49 - 02/03/22 06:47 PM
WOW! That was outstanding.

I agree, with a little practice they all may make it big time grin grin grin
Posted By: Mark Hayes Re: A bunch of old guys playing Funk #49 - 02/03/22 06:59 PM
This was fun, love the severe stereo separation around a tiny little YouTube.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: A bunch of old guys playing Funk #49 - 02/03/22 09:49 PM
I was fortunate to grow up in Cleveland and saw that band from the time I was 16 when Glenn Schwartz was the guitar player. When he abruptly left town in 1967 (He was AWOL from the Army) Walsh took over, and the guitar player who was second banana to Schwartz (who was a great player and landed well with Pacific Gas & Electric) immediately quit. The James gang had a gig opening for Cream, and on the day before that show Ronnie Silverman, the aforementioned second banana, quit. They decided to go it as a trio, and that's how it stayed. The album that had Funk #49 on it came out In July 1970, just before I went into the Army. In fact they were the last band I saw live before leaving for the Army on a Monday morning (with a hangover).

That drummer, Jimmy Fox, had the most wicked right hand I ever heard. And it you remember the mention a few weeks ago about The Outsiders, Jimmy was their original drummer.

Cleveland has had a rich music history!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: A bunch of old guys playing Funk #49 - 02/03/22 10:21 PM
Lovin' the Dingwall fan-fret bass. They look strange, but that design solves a lot of problems reported by players of 5 and 6 string basses.

Thanks for posting Floyd!
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: A bunch of old guys playing Funk #49 - 02/03/22 11:00 PM
Yep, with a little bit more practice they'll probably get the hang of it grin
Originally Posted By: MarioD

Wasn't that YOU on the bass?
Posted By: MarioD Re: A bunch of old guys playing Funk #49 - 02/05/22 01:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Originally Posted By: MarioD

Wasn't that YOU on the bass?

Gee thanx. I was trying to keep that a secret whistle
Posted By: TheMaartian Re: A bunch of old guys playing Funk #49 - 02/05/22 01:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Lovin' the Dingwall fan-fret bass. They look strange, but that design solves a lot of problems reported by players of 5 and 6 string basses.

Thanks for posting Floyd!

Yup. Nice to see Lee Sklar playing one instead of just advertising his Dingwall line. Almost bought one. Blowing out my left shoulder falling on ice and switching to short scales saved me a bunch of money!
Really fun and awesome playing! Looks like everybody was having a lot of fun which I always love to see.
Posted By: jford Re: A bunch of old guys playing Funk #49 - 02/06/22 12:20 AM
That's awesome!

Thanks for posting this.
Posted By: rharv Re: A bunch of old guys playing Funk #49 - 02/06/22 09:53 AM
Yes, thanks
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: A bunch of old guys playing Funk #49 - 02/07/22 06:18 PM
I love live jams because they're so real, even losing the form at the end is completely normal. Gives the rest of us hope.

Bob
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: A bunch of old guys playing Funk #49 - 02/07/22 07:15 PM
Man, Benny Tench is the youngest guy there and he is 68! I barely recognized Kunkle with no hair. Ringo is what, 127 now and still a rock solid pocket player. Both drummers locked so tight in that pocket. Joe, since he became sober, has never been better. That was like in the mid 90s!

How anybody let's cocaine get between him and Stevie Nicks is beyond me!

He had the best quote ever during a radio interview. He was asked about how the years tend to run together, and he said "Well, I know I played all the shows because I have all the posters."
© PG Music Forums