PG Music Home
Posted By: Keith from Oz Guitar Question - 01/13/10 11:07 AM
I'm a 3 chord wonder on the guitar, and I don't own one, so I need a litte help.
Is a piano middle C the third fret on the A string of a guitar, thefore making the open low E the E below middle C on a piano?
I'll ask the next part of my next question when I know the answer.
Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Guitar Question - 01/13/10 11:52 AM
Keith,
The E-string (6th string) is the E below the C that is an octave lower than middle C. The high E string (1st string) is 2 notes above middle C (I guess you could call it middle E). The B string (2nd string) is a semitone below middle C.
Noel
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: Guitar Question - 01/13/10 12:09 PM
Hi Noel...thanks for your response. My reason for asking is a little complicated, but here goes. I love listening to a guitar playing beautiful jazz chords, so I record a single note melody (guitar patch) onto the Melody track, and then enhance it using "Generate a Guitar chord solo" feature. However, when the melody goes to a low note (say G below middle C on a piano) quite often BIAB adds a few harmony notes BELOW the G, which sound awful, and I thought it may have been outside the range of a guitar.
I have to manually remove the very low notes in order for the chord solo to sound reasonable.
I was going to ask if there was a way to nominate the range of notes (high & low) when using the "Generate Guitar Chord solo" - I can't see any way to do it. It has options for advanced chords, barre chords etc, but I don't see any option to dictate range.

BTW.... a bit cooler for you down there today? You Southerners have had a bad weather week
Posted By: Mac Re: Guitar Question - 01/13/10 01:02 PM
Guitar is notated one octave higher than it actually sounds. This is done so that we don't have to deal with a lot of ledger lines in notation and only deal with the Treble clef. If that wasn't done, the only notes that would be on the Treble Clef staff would be the five notes from middle C up to the first E, the rest would have to be notated below that, using ledger lines. That would get ugly and hard to read.

When generating a Chord Solo, I guess sometimes we have to think just like the live chording guitarist must -- and try to avoid going down very low.

One thing you can do about that to force low notes is to emulate what the savvy live guitarist does, that is to simply play any necessary lower notes as single notes. With Freeze Tracks available in 2010, you could Freeze that track and then Edit out the other notes, leaving just the one desired note in each of those muddy chords.

--Mac
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: Guitar Question - 01/13/10 10:41 PM
Thanks for the explanation & suggestions Mac.
© PG Music Forums