PG Music Home
Posted By: Keith from Oz Whoops.... I may have made a mistake - 01/15/10 08:52 AM
I recently purchased a Roland/Cakewalk UA1G Audio converter from PG Music, with a view to using it to connect my Ketron SD2 to my new laptop.However before opening the packaging I notice that is is compatable with Windows XP & Vista but my laptop is Windows 7. Before I completely destroy the packaging beyond recognition, does anyone if it is compatable with Win 7?
Thanks as always.
The Cakewalk website specs say
"Windows System Requirements

* OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista® x32 or x64, Windows® XP Home x32, XP Professional x32 SP2 or later**
* Computer: Windows compatible PC equipped with a USB port.
* CPU: Pentium®,Celeron® or compatible processor/800 MHz or faster
* Memory (RAM): 256 MB or more
**Windows XP Media Center Edition not supported."

No mention of Win 7
Posted By: Lawrie Re: Whoops.... I may have made a mistake - 01/15/10 09:17 AM
G'day Keith,
you should be OK. Vista and Win7 are pretty much the same thing - certainly they share the kernel and drivers. The only lookout is that in some cases the installer may look for specific versions of Windoze and not recognise Win7 even though the Vista driver would work properly.

I'm not familiar with the particular product so you may prefer to wait for someone who has specific experience, but if it were mine I'd give it a go.

Alternatively, you could email Cakewalk support and ask them directly.
Hi Lawrie,
Thanks mate, If I don't hear anything from the forum I'll email Roland/cakewalk on Monday.
Avagoodweegend. (that'll stump the non Aussies )
Posted By: Lawrie Re: Whoops.... I may have made a mistake - 01/15/10 09:31 AM
Orritemate, you too.
Posted By: John Conley Re: Whoops.... I may have made a mistake - 01/15/10 11:04 AM
I suppose ya lovers are meetin by the billabong for a cold one eh?
Posted By: Mac Re: Whoops.... I may have made a mistake - 01/15/10 05:52 PM
Lots of sound device mfr's are recommending that their Vista drivers also work on Win7.

--Mac
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: Whoops.... I may have made a mistake - 01/15/10 05:53 PM
Keith,
A quick tour of the Cakewalk page reveals the following link:

http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Interface/DriverUA.aspx?Prod=UA-1G

Viola! Windows 7 drivers for your UA-1G.

Gary
Excellent!! That's great Gary, thank you very much. I can now take it out of the box and look over the instructions.
Just one further question... do I first plug the device in and THEN download the drivers, or the other way round.
Thanks again.
Hey Mate. If ya plug it in Win 7 will detect new hardware and look for the drivers. If it can't find the drivers it will look for them on the net if you choose that option. It should locate 'em easy.
Great.... thanks Russ
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: Whoops.... I may have made a mistake - 01/16/10 02:38 AM
Keith,
I didn't download the drivers, as I don't have mine yet, but usually it will tell you during the installation if you need to have the unit plugged in or not.

Gary
Thanks Gary, I'm home from work now, so I'll start to play with it.
© PG Music Forums