PG Music Home
Posted By: BabuMusic Now And Then - 07/06/23 09:22 AM
Now And Then on Soundcloud
Now And Then on YouTube

This is a song about... well, the good ol' days, I suppose.  It's about a guy who for whatever reason lost his girl and now wants her back.  Maybe he left because it was bad, and now realizes there was a lot of good that he gave up, too. Seems most of my songs are NOT autobiographical, going against the adage “Write what you know.”

File:Now And Then.SGU
Key=F#m, Tempo 111, Length (m:s)=3:42
Style is _DODGE.STY (Dodge Funky Blues)
RealTracks in style: ~674:Organ, B3, Background Blues Roadhouse Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 4249:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm BluesFunky Ev 120
RealDrums in style:FunkHalfNotePulse: a: Snare, Kickb: Busy Kick, Snare
I played bass and sang. Dave Bell (you know, Blue Attitude) played guitar.

Now And Then

Every now and then there is something in my eye,
I rub it once in hope it makes me cry.
You dried up all my life, took the meaning from my soul.
Now and then are different, I know.

When you came and went, I was fine that you were gone.
Now I don't know how to carry on.
Our "then" is what I need. I need you now to show.

Now and then I dream of how it used to be.
If now was then and then was now, then you'd be here with me.

Now each day begins with longing for "back then."
Then I long for you again.
Won't you please make this alright.
Come back and never go.

V--- F#m7 F#m7 C#m7 C#m7
Bm7 Bm7 F#m7 F#m7
F#m7 Bm7 Bm7 F#m7
F#m7 C#7 F#m7 C#7

CH--- Bm Bm A A Bm Bm7 E E9

END--- A C#m F#m E A C#m D7
C#7% F#m7%
Posted By: rsdean Re: Now And Then - 07/06/23 09:33 AM
Marty,

What a great sound! Love the song and your vocal is outstanding. Mix is excellent.

Dave's guitar really drives the arrangement. And your bass sounds great.

I really enjoyed this.

Bob
Posted By: firesong Re: Now And Then - 07/06/23 02:49 PM
Marty...some people write what they've been through but others have the ability to imagine what others have been through...these are empathetic people who can create the feelings and conjure the situations and relate them accurately in books and poems and films and songs...pretty sure you're one of the latter...another super produced and sounding song...as soon as it starts and I hear Dave's guitar I know some good stuff is following...I love the concept...your use of words and phrases in your titles and hooks is unique...I really like play on words and do it so well...super vocal...fits your tone and range very well....keep up the good work!!

PS...I always love the videos!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Now And Then - 07/06/23 05:22 PM
Hi marty ...

Great song and sing. And, as usual, Dave's guitar work is stellar.

Regarding the "write what you know" approach. If that were a hard and fast rule, there'd be considerably fewer songs and books written. As you probably know, I'm also an author with several books on Amazon. Of the nine books I've finished, only one was based on a personal experience - in part. Science fiction wouldn't exist - same for historical fiction, for the most part.

"Write what entertains your audience" is my approach. Many times, I manage to do it pretty well, sometimes, not as much.

Your songs always entertain me - very much so. No exception here. keep writing and recording and I'll keep listening. You never disappoint with your work.

Alan
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Now And Then - 07/07/23 09:53 AM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Marty,

What a great sound! Love the song and your vocal is outstanding. Mix is excellent.

Dave's guitar really drives the arrangement. And your bass sounds great.

I really enjoyed this.

Bob

Thank you very much, Bob. Most encouraging.

Originally Posted By: firesong
Marty...some people write what they've been through but others have the ability to imagine what others have been through...these are empathetic people who can create the feelings and conjure the situations and relate them accurately in books and poems and films and songs...pretty sure you're one of the latter...another super produced and sounding song...as soon as it starts and I hear Dave's guitar I know some good stuff is following...I love the concept...your use of words and phrases in your titles and hooks is unique...I really like play on words and do it so well...super vocal...fits your tone and range very well....keep up the good work!!

PS...I always love the videos!

Thank you, Dan. So very kind. Empathy is natural and nurtured through self-forgiveness, I feel. Besides, if I only wrote from personal experience it would bore even me. Much more to say about words and puns, but that should be on a separate forum. wink
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: Now And Then - 07/08/23 07:36 AM
Hi Marty and Dave
A really cool song
Starts already so really good
And also the rest sounds great
Marty u are with bass and vocals again so right in your element ;-)
And Dave has also come up with many great things with his guitar again
Strong collaboration
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: Elliott Kayne Re: Now And Then - 07/08/23 10:35 AM
Nice groove good use of Real tracks, interesting point of view in the lyrics
Awesome guitar playing throughout.
Nice
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Now And Then - 07/09/23 10:03 AM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi marty ...

Great song and sing. And, as usual, Dave's guitar work is stellar.

Regarding the "write what you know" approach. If that were a hard and fast rule, there'd be considerably fewer songs and books written. As you probably know, I'm also an author with several books on Amazon. Of the nine books I've finished, only one was based on a personal experience - in part. Science fiction wouldn't exist - same for historical fiction, for the most part.

"Write what entertains your audience" is my approach. Many times, I manage to do it pretty well, sometimes, not as much.

Your songs always entertain me - very much so. No exception here. keep writing and recording and I'll keep listening. You never disappoint with your work.

Alan

Thanks, Alan. There are no rules, only save room for spontaneity and let creativity take over. Hey, didn't know you were an author too. On average I read a book a week. You don't have an Author's Page on Amazon, so I hope I got the right you. Downloaded Heroes Without Honour.

Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hi Marty and Dave
A really cool song
Starts already so really good
And also the rest sounds great
Marty u are with bass and vocals again so right in your element ;-)
And Dave has also come up with many great things with his guitar again
Strong collaboration
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Thanks, Andi. Very kind and encouraging.
Posted By: vicarn Re: Now And Then - 07/09/23 11:44 AM
You always mix well, Marty. The bass maybe a little too up front but that could be just my taste and I have been diagnosed recently with a bit of a hearing impediment in the high frequency.

Vic
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Now And Then - 07/09/23 12:05 PM
Marty...

Dave's opening is sweeeet!
Nice Carlos-y licks throughout...
Luscious Bass!

Good mix.
Entertaining video.
Good listening.

fj
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Now And Then - 07/10/23 09:55 AM
Hi Marty and Dave,

Another cool song with lyrics straight from your imagination.
It almost seems like you are singing from your own life experience...

Very enjoyable song and a wonderful guitarplay from Dave.
Love it!

Hans
Posted By: rayc Re: Now And Then - 07/10/23 10:22 PM
I'm experimenting with delayed gratification so waited a few days before playing this one.
Delayed gratification only works when the sweets are as sweet as anticipated. OR better as in this case.
The combo of a Babu Bass, Marty Mouth & the Ring-a-Ding sets high standard but routinely raises the bar.
Lovely tones on bass, guitar and voice mesh really well with the Bandhi Band.
You're in fine, fine voice mate, I love it.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Now And Then - 07/10/23 11:44 PM
Cool groove, nice lyrics, Santana-ish guitar... Sweet!

I recall some songwriter saying that if their songs reflected their actual life, they'd be dead several times over.

Great line, rocking song. laugh
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Now And Then - 07/11/23 10:00 AM
Originally Posted By: Elliott Kayne
Nice groove good use of Real tracks, interesting point of view in the lyrics
Awesome guitar playing throughout.
Nice

Thank you, Elliott!

Originally Posted By: vicarn
You always mix well, Marty. The bass maybe a little too up front but that could be just my taste and I have been diagnosed recently with a bit of a hearing impediment in the high frequency.

Vic

Thank you, Vic. It's more than likely that I always want to hear the bass and often mix to my taste, but you're right. I should be trying to do it properly.

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Marty...

Dave's opening is sweeeet!
Nice Carlos-y licks throughout...
Luscious Bass!

Good mix.
Entertaining video.
Good listening.

fj

Thank you, Floyd. It's great having Dave out front. It's like starting off the song at a high level, and then he keeps it up throughout.

Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Marty and Dave,

Another cool song with lyrics straight from your imagination.
It almost seems like you are singing from your own life experience...

Very enjoyable song and a wonderful guitarplay from Dave.
Love it!

Hans

Thank you, Hans! (Hope you are well.) Yes, mirror neurons and empathy can put us in the other guy's shoes for sure.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Now And Then - 07/13/23 08:36 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
I'm experimenting with delayed gratification so waited a few days before playing this one.
Delayed gratification only works when the sweets are as sweet as anticipated. OR better as in this case.
The combo of a Babu Bass, Marty Mouth & the Ring-a-Ding sets high standard but routinely raises the bar.
Lovely tones on bass, guitar and voice mesh really well with the Bandhi Band.
You're in fine, fine voice mate, I love it.

Thanks, Ray!!! AND, of course, I read this comment a couple days ago and delayed my gratification. Still have it!! Thanks again --and again...

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Cool groove, nice lyrics, Santana-ish guitar... Sweet!

I recall some songwriter saying that if their songs reflected their actual life, they'd be dead several times over.

Great line, rocking song. laugh

Thanks, David. Man, I'm trying to imagine what a song about my life would sound like. It would have many many verses, and many many styles, yet it would still be boring to many many others.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Now And Then - 07/13/23 09:24 AM
This is a real blues tear jerker Marty!

Well done!

Great songwriting and performances all around!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Now And Then - 07/13/23 02:44 PM
This has a really good Santana vibe to it.

Your vocal is passionate and your bass line moves along joyously which is a good juxtaposition to the lyric. Nice!

Dave is always in the pocket no matter the style.
Love the outro too.

We much enjoyed the audio and the video!

J&B
Posted By: MarioD Re: Now And Then - 07/13/23 09:10 PM
Marty and Dave, you have another winner on your hands.
Definitely a Santana vibe in this one.
Dave can play the frets of off his guitar can't he!
Marty, your bass and vocals are always spot on.
Great lyrics and mix also.

loved it.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Now And Then - 07/14/23 08:49 AM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
This is a real blues tear jerker Marty!

Well done!

Great songwriting and performances all around!

Blues/tear-jerker =odd juxtaposition. Thanks, David!

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
This has a really good Santana vibe to it.

Your vocal is passionate and your bass line moves along joyously which is a good juxtaposition to the lyric. Nice!

Dave is always in the pocket no matter the style.
Love the outro too.

We much enjoyed the audio and the video!

J&B

Hey, I just used that weird word with David. Thanks, Janice & Bud, and thanks so much for the video comment too.

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Marty and Dave, you have another winner on your hands.
Definitely a Santana vibe in this one.
Dave can play the frets of off his guitar can't he!
Marty, your bass and vocals are always spot on.
Great lyrics and mix also.

loved it.
Thanks so much, Mario. And, yes, Dave is awesome in any style. Wonder what he would sound like with a fretless guitar. My guess: awesome.
Posted By: jannesan Re: Now And Then - 07/19/23 02:03 PM
Lovely melancholy song, then and now. Minor chords, sad melody and Dave's crying guitar, what else is needed for a good blues song?
I like the story, clever playing with now and then. And so much feeling in a simple sentence "Now and then are different, I know." Must be the first song from you that has brought tears to my eyes smile
Great vocals, I like how "now" goes downwards. The instrumentation is solid and pleasant to my ears.

Janne
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Now And Then - 07/19/23 03:32 PM
Instant Santana vibe..... not only the guitar but the whole groove.

Nice stuff.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Now And Then - 07/19/23 08:54 PM

Marty & Dave,

Reggae<->Blues? Very cool vibe and authentic live feel to it. Neat style mash up. Bass is super fun on this tune. Excellent vocals and Dave bluesy parts. Mixed and listens very well. The (only) critical comment I have is maybe give it a second or two of silence in the beginning. Liked it and thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Now And Then - 07/20/23 11:58 AM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Lovely melancholy song, then and now. Minor chords, sad melody and Dave's crying guitar, what else is needed for a good blues song?
I like the story, clever playing with now and then. And so much feeling in a simple sentence "Now and then are different, I know." Must be the first song from you that has brought tears to my eyes smile
Great vocals, I like how "now" goes downwards. The instrumentation is solid and pleasant to my ears.

Janne

Now and then lovely and melancholy --can't have one without the other. I like your formula for Blues. Thanks, Janne. Not sure whether to say sorry or you're welcome for the tear jerking. Crying is supposed to be a good thing --some say.

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Instant Santana vibe..... not only the guitar but the whole groove.

Nice stuff.

Thanks, Herb. Much fun for these Santana fans.

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#

Marty & Dave,

Reggae<->Blues? Very cool vibe and authentic live feel to it. Neat style mash up. Bass is super fun on this tune. Excellent vocals and Dave bluesy parts. Mixed and listens very well. The (only) critical comment I have is maybe give it a second or two of silence in the beginning. Liked it and thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Thanks, Misha!! Excellent feedback, too. You're right --not sure where that habit started with that too-quick of a start. I think it stems from making albums and wanting the songs to flow more quickly. Sometimes I forget to check.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Now And Then - 07/22/23 10:13 PM
Loved Daves intro. Such a cool signature sound. Very cool vocal and lyric Marty. Bass lines really carry to groove to the tune. Really well done.. Awesome solo Dave. Mix was really well done as well.
© PG Music Forums