PG Music Home
So, it had to happen.

My lovely wife Gayle has always wanted to do a Christmas Album of songs through the ages. I taught her how to use BIAB and Real Band, and midi, and set her up with her own little studio in her office. She went nuts. It was the most adorable thing I have ever seen. Every day she would come into my office with a little flash drive saying, "Hey Honey, I have a new song I arranged on the flash drive. Can you listen to it and help me mix it???"

On Christmas Through the Ages, she arranged, produced and scored midi for almost everything and did all the vocal parts. I mixed and mastered and helped her write the last song, All Glory in the Highest.

The whole thing is based on real tracks or midi. Plus her vocals.

The album website is:

https://gaylesnyder.hearnow.com/

The link for YouTube is:

https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mWvXQ-YlR-WMKTOOV3IgXF3HBW2tjV8Eo

I burned this to a CD and have it on constant rotation in the living room with my other "go to" Christmas CDs.

She is already planning another album even as speak trying to figure out the first original Praise song for the next LP. She is in there now. On Thanksgiving Day. While the turkey is cooking. I have created a monster. What have I done.

Attached picture GAYLE GARDEN1.jpg
David and Gayle...this is fantastic...it's great to hear that the wonder of BiaB and the wonder of Christmas are merging at your house...I listened to the excerpts of the album... Gayle you chose some great songs for your album...touching the true meaning of Christmas without resorting to the "well known carols" that are often used without thought or meaning...you have a lovely voice and your tender delivery is perfect for the music you chose...BiaB is hoot...right? you don't have to be Mozart to make good music...so now that you each have a studio you will become "two ships passing in the night" and will never have to ask again "honey, what shall we do tonight?" smile you'll each be in your own space cranking out the hits! Looking forward to the Praise album!
Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore...

Wow, this is really impressive! Can't imagine having the latent talent to deliver on something this ambitious as a first effort. Just mind blowing, but in a good way.

A bit pressed for time as I'm on turkey basting duty, but listened to a minute or so of each song. Gayle's voice is quite unique but beautiful. She reminded me of someone but I couldn't figure out who until I hit the Ding Dong harmonies. The Roches! Not a well known act these days, but the Roche sisters had similar hauntingly beautiful voices, especially when singing harmony. Their Christmas album is my favorite.

But this may be a close second! Ha!

Gayle should be very proud, it's a killer product. Good on you for the encouragement and support.

Back to the turkey now...
Gayle and David, this is a fantastic CD.
I heard snippets on a number of songs and Gayle's vocal sound great.
The mixes were spot on.
There were great messages in the parts that I heard.
Super work.

PS - as time permits I will be going back and listen some more.
David / Gayle,

I listened to the excerpts last night. The music on this album is beautiful... Lots of talent in that house!

Bob
Hello FireSong, DC Ron, MarioD and rsdean. Thanks so much for listening and for your kind comments.

BIAB and RealBand are amazing pieces of software (I write software for a living so I really appreciate how incredible this is). I could not have done the album without BIAB and my husband. Hard to know who I owe the most to ;-)
Well this is refreshing. Your debut is a success.
Well done.

Vic
Ah, if only all monsters were created so beuatifully, David. But never mind what you created, Gayle did a wonderful job with her own. {First of all, cool pic with that weird tree thing ostensibly growing out of her guitar.}

David, I often listen to your songs, and now have a new playlist, right there with my Greg Johnson Christmas album. So far only heard 3, but the season has just begun. Man, this is really so good. Gayle really really got into it and created some of my favorite versions of these classics. Merrry Chrismas to you two.
Originally Posted by GayleS
I could not have done the album without BIAB and my husband. Hard to know who I owe the most to ;-)

Welcome, Gayle. Now we get to hear what makes David so special. Hey, the one to whom you owe the most is the one you're singing about. Wow, your house must be an incredibly inspirational place.
Gayle and David,

This is very nice! You did an excellent job putting this lovely album together! Great job with vocals with wonderful pitch control! Gayle will have to make more appearances here in the forum! Thanks, TB
I listened to a few of the songs.... very well done.. Especially considering it's a first effort. Nice stuff.
Gayle,

A very cool Bucket-List check-off!
There is an overall Joyful sound to the collection. There is a Smile in your vocals.
And the tracks are Really nicely balanced. Going through the clips, it sounds like....an Album!
Congratulations!

Welcome to the Showcase!

fj
Thanks Dan! I know Gayle intends to pipe in some more and start listening around here, but I feel I can (and should) add a few thank you's as well.

You folks are so sweet!

I think Gayle will post a few of the tunes each week or so during the Christmas season so watch out!

smile
Excellent Christmas songs Gayle. perfect timing for the season. Maybe some duets in the future. Well done and welcome to the forum..
Hi Gayle & David,

First, welcome to the forum, Gayle. So nice to have you with us.

I listened to four of the clips and I am very happy to have done so. You have an angelic voice, and the songs were terrific. A full album of Christmas songs is quite ambitious, particularly as a first effort for the site. Nicely done! Hope to hear more from you.

Take care,

Alan

PS: You're much prettier than David!
Originally Posted by BabuMusic
Hey, the one to whom you owe the most is the one you're singing about.
Amen to that!
Originally Posted by floyd jane
Gayle,

A very cool Bucket-List check-off!
There is an overall Joyful sound to the collection. There is a Smile in your vocals.
And the tracks are Really nicely balanced. Going through the clips, it sounds like....an Album!
Congratulations!

Welcome to the Showcase!

fj

Thanks so much for the encouragement. The original concept was a live performance with a song from each of the last 10 centuries. Between songs there was going to be some history of what was going on in the world when that song was first being sung. I managed to hit most (but not all) of the centuries. Sometimes I could not find a suitable song from that time and (of course) there is disagreement among the various historical sources as to how old a song really is. So, this album hit on another one of my loves - history.
Thanks, Vicarn. I appreciate it.
Thank you Torrey. I hope to make more postings in the future and I look forward to listening to more songs from others (I've just started listening).
Guitarhacker thanks for listening. I appreciate the compliment.
Thank you Scott C. It's a very welcoming place and I'm glad to be a part.
Al-David thank you for listening and your very kind words. It took most of 2023 to pull it off and I got in just under the wire.
Hi Gayle and husband David,

I start with you, Gayle. That was a challenge to do, all those Christmassongs!
And I heard a lot of joy in your vocals and sometimes the same weird thing David always has; Getting of the line in a way it more sounds like your song than that traditional one.
Very good! But sometimes beware not to sing too close to the mike, like you did in the first song.
But altogether, a lovely performance!
I don't have a wife that likes to sing (along or alone). That's a bit a pitty.
And, I read about a duet in one of the posts above here! I would say do it!!!
Thanks for the songs and see you around in the forum,

Hans
Thanks for listening Birchwood and for the feedback. I will keep the mic positioning in mind for future endeavors. I may be able to twist my husband's arm into a duet or two
Hi, Gayle.

Welcome to the forum! I had a listen to the sampler, as well as "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel". Nice arrangement! smile

I see you wisely avoided the version where the verse only rhymes on the printed page:

O come, Thou Key of David, come
   And open wide our heav'nly home;
   Make safe the way that leads on high,
   And close the path to misery.

That's a lot of music to put together, and you and David did a great job. Congratulations to you two!
Gayle, welcome to the forum. Your husband has brought a lot of smiles around here for a long time. It’s nice that you have joined the party. The excerpts sound great and I wish you and your family an early Happy Holidays, Tom
Well ain’t that cool! Welcome aboard and it’s gratifying to see an additional spousal music team on the forum. And, Gayle you are in for a great journey with BiaB. We joined 12 years ago and BiaB, the forum, and friends made here have inspired our music adventures - one of the many fun parts of our marriage. And your Christmas project has certainly set the stage here at the forum for many holiday songs to come. Oops we don’t have one yet smile

J&B
Scott C - thanks for listening.
Hello Al-David, thanks for listening and for your kind words. I think doing to whole Christmas album, was more challenging than I thought it would be, but I loved doing it.
Hello dcuny
Yes, I tweaked that lyric to improve the rhyme.
"Flipped through" some of the tracks......sounds very well done!!! Best to Gayle! Take care. Greg
Thanks so much for listening tommyad.
Hi J & B - thanks for listening. I'm looking forward to being part of the BIAB family.
Hi Gayle.

Welcome to the forum.
I've just worked my way through snippets of many of the songs.
You've done a really fine job smile
As floyd said, it sounds like... an Album!
The task of finding suitable Christmas material across 10 centuries is enormous! I tip my proverbial hat to you. And as you say, historical disputes about age are everywhere.
When song's origins finally gets lost in the whirlpools of time, I've noticed that "Traditional" usually becomes the composer and lyricist.
I'm looking forward to hearing more of your work.

Thank you for sharing and giving me the chance to have a listen.
--Noel
Thanks for listening.
Noel96 - Thanks so much for listening and your kind words.
I wanted to say "thank you" once again to everyone who listened to my songs. I believe I responded to everyone, but if I missed anyone please accept my apologies (it was not intentional). I hope everyone has a glorious holiday.
© PG Music Forums