PG Music Home
Going Down The Road Feeling Bad

Another of our public domain song interpretations.
The song has been recorded by many artists through the years. The first known recording is from 1923 by Henry Whitter, an Appalachian singer, as "Lonesome Road Blues". The earliest versions of the lyrics are from the perspective of an inmate in prison with the refrain, "I'm down in that jail on my knees" and a reference to eating "corn bread and beans". The song has been recorded by many artists such as Woody Guthrie, Bob Dylan, The Allman Brother, Skeeter Davis, Elizabeth Cotten, and the Grateful Dead.

Janice - lead and harmony vocals.
I played the slide and lead guitar.
Bud recorded Janice, helped with the mix and mastered the song.

The Band:
RealTracks in song: 3567:Bass, Electric, NashvilleRadioShuffleB Sw 110
RealTracks in style: 4030:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountryFunkyLow2 Sw16 090
RealDrums in style:RadioCoolPopSw16^4-a:Hts, b:RdS

I'm going down this road feeling bad
I'm going down this road feeling bad
I'm going down this road feeling bad, bad, bad
And I ain't a-gonna be treated this a-way

They had me in the jailhouse now I'm free
They had me in the jailhouse now I'm free
They had me in the jailhouse now I'm free, free, free

They feed me on corn bread and beans
They feed me on corn bread and beans
They feed me on corn bread and beans, beans, beans

I'm goin' where the water tastes like wine.
I'm goin' where the water tastes like wine.
I'm goin' where the water tastes like wine, wine, wine

I'm goin' where the sun it always shines
I'm goin' where the sun it always shines
I'm goin' where the sun it always shines on me
Hi, Peter.

This confirms my suspicion - blues is nothing but an excuse to play guitar... and to get Janice to sing. wink

Nice, upbeat version.

Both your guitars and the singing Janices (lead and background) sound great here.
Peter, Janice & Bud,

Some really outstanding vocals by Janice - love the uptempo feel of this one. Has grit and bite.

Peter has some wild guitar lines. The drums also sound great. Everything fits so well.

Awesome production - crisp and tight. Sounds great through the speakers. Really fills the room!

Loved it all!

Bob
Peter and Janice

A very nice modern Southern Rock treatment of the old tune!
Super guitar work and vocals by Janice!
It's easy to listen and enjoy this upbeat song!
Thanks, TB
Originally Posted by dcuny
Hi, Peter.

This confirms my suspicion - blues is nothing but an excuse to play guitar... and to get Janice to sing. wink

Nice, upbeat version.

Both your guitars and the singing Janices (lead and background) sound great here.

Thanks David, it certainly is.

Peter
Now, THAT's a party! Everything sounds GREAT. Guitars, vocals and mix are all super tight and sparkly. Ya'll can really heat up a pair of headphones. Love it!
Hi, Peter.

Nice, upbeat version.

Thanks … it was a fun project. “Excuses? We don’t need no stinkin excuses!” 🤪

Glad you liked it!

J&B
Well, that was a fun listen!

Can't go wrong with Janice on vocal (loved the harmonies!) and Peter on guitar in my book cool

Great slide playing throughout, Peter, and I liked the rock guitar licks you did at the end.

Nice take on an old classic, enjoyed.
Brilliant rocky groove! The voice of Jan the WhOah-man first class as ever. And those guitar solos really make the arrangement.
HAHAHAHA

Any excuse will do. Thankfully.
Y'all knock this one outta-da-park.
Killer Vocals.
Killer GUITAR!!

Excellent mix. So clean. So clear.

Damn Fine Music.

fj
Originally Posted by rsdean
Peter, Janice & Bud,

Some really outstanding vocals by Janice - love the uptempo feel of this one. Has grit and bite.

Peter has some wild guitar lines. The drums also sound great. Everything fits so well.

Awesome production - crisp and tight. Sounds great through the speakers. Really fills the room!

Loved it all!

Bob
Thanks Bob I thought Janice did a great job with the vocals.

Peter
Hi Peter,

This is a very good rendition of this old song - loved your guitar playing - especially the slide.

Best Regards
Nigel
Peter, Janice & Bud, You all are so darn good and produced another big piece of ear candy!
Everything is perfect, as usual.
Blues at its best.
Loved it.
Originally Posted by rsdean
Peter, Janice & Bud,

Loved it all!

Bob

Bud’s been encouraging me to explore some more gritty vocals so thank you!

Janice
Originally Posted by Torrey Bliss
Peter and Janice

Thanks, TB

Thanks a lot Torrey.
Peter
Originally Posted by Torrey Bliss
Peter and Janice

Thanks, TB

Thank you Torrey. I’m glad you liked it.

Janice
Oh, man, I always loved playing this one. You three are so good. I like the beat you chose. I quote David Cuny: "blues is nothing but an excuse to play guitar," and man, you do that so well, Peter. Outstanding chops coupled with great taste, and you always select the best singers. And we know that Bud is the master of the mastering. Excellent rendition.
Originally Posted by DC Ron
Now, THAT's a party! Everything sounds GREAT. Guitars, vocals and mix are all super tight and sparkly. Ya'll can really heat up a pair of headphones. Love it!
Appreciate the review thanks.
Peter
Originally Posted by BlueAttitude

Can't go wrong with Janice on vocal (loved the harmonies!) and Peter on guitar in my book cool

Great slide playing throughout, Peter, and I liked the rock guitar licks you did at the end.

Thanks Dave, appreciate the guitar comments.
Peter
The only thing that struck me as odd is the "flam" on the snare, (the consistency of it reminds me of glam rock with double drummers like The Glitter band)..
The vocals and guitars are, as expected, fabulous but the band is also ace.
You really let your fingers fly on the last solo.
Janice's voice - ah, me. AND Bud's excellent tracking & treatment.
Originally Posted by WaoBand
Brilliant rocky groove! The voice of Jan the WhOah-man first class as ever. And those guitar solos really make the arrangement.

Appreciate that thanks.

Peter
Originally Posted by DC Ron

Thank you!

J&B

Originally Posted by BlueAttitude

Thank you Dave. I’m glad you liked the harmony!

Janice
I like the lively start. Good groove, good singer and beautiful guitar.
Laurent
Simple but effective.
Listening to your guitar and Janice's voice is a great way to start the day.
Yay!
smile
Originally Posted by WaoBand

Thank you!

Janice
Peter and the J&B gang,

Oh, what a cheerful song you made. Janice's voice is great, but so is Peter's guitar playing!!!
It gave me a smile on my face that's still there!
If there is really anything to complain about, it is the lyrics on SC that cannot keep up with the cheerful Janice.
Finally no more annoying man in the story for her!!!

So, you all did a very good job on this song!

Hans
Hey Peter, this is awesome, and Janice of course is top of her game. Excellent mix and mastering from Bud.

The lead guitar and arrangement is blistering. It is kind of like what would happen if you took the Allman Brothers, Credence Clearwater, the Band, and Steve Vai and smushed them all together, with Janis Joplin (though less raspy) on vocals.

smile

Great!!
True indeed what David said about the Blues. Great tune and arrangement, then again anything with Janice in it has to be good. The same goes for the rest of the lot.

Cheers

Mike B.
Hey Ya'll,

The only thing I found I didn't like about this was that it ended.

What a great iteration of this old gem! With the Queen Vocalist singing, it had to be good - just a fact. And Peter, you really ripped those guitars!

Everything perfect. That's all I got.

Take care,

Alan
Originally Posted by floyd jane
HAHAHAHA

Killer Vocals.
Killer GUITAR!!

Damn Fine Music.

fj

Thanks floyd

Peter
Cool song, and done soooo well! Y'all work so well together. Fun song all the way around. I thought those hand-claps were a good addition - made you feel like you're right there. Great job by all.

Brad
Originally Posted by NigelSpiers
Hi Peter,

This is a very good rendition of this old song - loved your guitar playing - especially the slide.

Best Regards
Nigel
Thanks Nigel.
Peter
Now that's a song. I enjoyed the guitar, and especially the vocals.
Originally Posted by floyd jane
HAHAHAHA

Killer Vocals.
Killer GUITAR!!

Damn Fine Music.

fj

Thank you mr jane. We had a lotta fun with this one!

J&B
Originally Posted by MarioD
Peter, Janice & Bud, You all are so darn good and produced another big piece of ear candy!
Blues at its best.
Loved it.

Thanks Mario

Peter
Originally Posted by BabuMusic
Oh, man, I always loved playing this one. You three are so good. I like the beat you chose. I quote David Cuny: "blues is nothing but an excuse to play guitar," and man, you do that so well, Peter. Outstanding chops coupled with great taste, and you always select the best singers. And we know that Bud is the master of the mastering. Excellent rendition.

Thanks Marty
Peter
Originally Posted by MarioD
Blues at its best.
Loved it.

Thanks!

J&B
Smokin guitar, smoky vocals, and a red hot mix and master make this everything a blues man could dream about. Excellence in all aspects, Tom
Hi all.
What a great version. Everything works here.
It has that Waylon stomp too.

Vic
Originally Posted by rayc
The only thing that struck me as odd is the "flam" on the snare, (the consistency of it reminds me of glam rock with double drummers like The Glitter band)..

Thanks Ray I think what you heard is a hand clap in the RT.

Peter
I know when I see your names on the post I ain't never gonna hear a bad performance or recording, and I am not going to walk away disappointed. You guys are on fire and the water bucket is dry.
Originally Posted by BabuMusic

Thank you Marty! A blues rock version was a lot of fun and an adventure as I had listen to bluegrass versions for years. Peter really took this one to a good place.

Janice

Originally Posted by rayc

Thank you Ray for all!

J&B
Originally Posted by laurent4114
Laurent

Thanks a lot.

Peter
Originally Posted by B.D.Thomas
Simple but effective.
Yay!
smile

Simple is often best. Thanks.

Peter
Hi PeterF,

Splendid guitar playing. The vocals and the orchestration flow together well. Janice's voice still on top.. Well done. I appreciated.

Jani.
Peter...a classic blues/rock/rockabilly tune done to perfection! super guitar work and Janice is right at home here...super collaboration indeed!
Originally Posted by laurent4114
Laurent

Originally Posted by B.D.Thomas
Simple but effective.
Yay!
smile

Thanks guys for the nice words!

Janice
Originally Posted by Birchwood
Peter and the J&B gang,

Oh, what a cheerful song you made. Janice's voice is great, but so is Peter's guitar playing!!!
If there is really anything to complain about, it is the lyrics on SC that cannot keep up with the cheerful Janice.

Hans

Appreciate that Hans.
Peter
Originally Posted by Birchwood
Peter and the J&B gang,

Hans

Thanks Hans. And yes Peter offered me a chance to escape those mean men!

Janice
Originally Posted by David Snyder
Hey Peter, this is awesome, and Janice of course is top of her game. Excellent mix and mastering from Bud.

The lead guitar and arrangement is blistering. It is kind of like what would happen if you took the Allman Brothers, Credence Clearwater, the Band, and Steve Vai and smushed them all together, with Janis Joplin (though less raspy) on vocals.

smile

Great!!

Thanks David that is some band you conjured up.
Peter
Originally Posted by David Snyder

smile

Great!!

Thank you David! That is undoubtably one of the more fascinating reviews us three have received. Well worth saving!

J&B
Originally Posted by cubanpete
True indeed what David said about the Blues. Great tune and arrangement, then again anything with Janice in it has to be good. The same goes for the rest of the lot.

Cheers

Mike B.

Thanks Mike

Peter
Originally Posted by Al-David
Hey Ya'll,

What a great iteration of this old gem! With the Queen Vocalist singing, it had to be good - just a fact. And Peter, you really ripped those guitars!

Take care,

Alan

Thanks Alan
Peter
Originally Posted by cubanpete

Cheers

Mike B.

Thank you Mike!

Janice

Originally Posted by Al-David
Hey Ya'll,

Take care,

Alan

Thanks Al! You are too kind.

Janice
Originally Posted by Brad Williams
Cool song, and done soooo well! Y'all work so well together. Fun song all the way around. I thought those hand-claps were a good addition - made you feel like you're right there. Great job by all.

Brad

Thanks glad you liked it.

Peter
Originally Posted by Ronnie Fields

Thanks Ronnie

Peter
Originally Posted by Brad Williams
Brad

Originally Posted by Ronnie Fields

Thanks guys!

Janice
Originally Posted by vicarn
Hi all.

Vic

Thanks Vic

Originally Posted by tommyad
Smokin guitar, smoky vocals, and a red hot mix and master make this everything a blues man could dream about. Excellence in all aspects, Tom

Thanks Tom

Peter
Originally Posted by tommyad

Thanks Tom!

J&B

Originally Posted by vicarn
Hi all.

Vic

Thank you Vic,

J&B
Originally Posted by firesong
Peter...a classic blues/rock/rockabilly tune done to perfection! super guitar work and Janice is right at home here...super collaboration indeed!

Thanks Dan
Peter

Originally Posted by Derochette
Hi PeterF,

Splendid guitar playing. The vocals and the orchestration flow together well. Janice's voice still on top.. Well done. I appreciated.

Jani.

Thanks
Peter
Originally Posted by Ezekiel's Storm
I know when I see your names on the post I ain't never gonna hear a bad performance or recording, and I am not going to walk away disappointed. You guys are on fire and the water bucket is dry.

Thanks Scott

Peter
Originally Posted by Ezekiel's Storm

Originally Posted by Derochette
Hi PeterF,
Jani.

Originally Posted by firesong

Thanks guys. This production was FUN!

J&B
First time I heard this song. Very cool tune. Excellent slide playing Peter. Loved the guitar break. Awesome vocal Janice. Also excellent production, mix and master. Well done...
Originally Posted by Scott C
First time I heard this song. Very cool tune. Excellent slide playing Peter. Loved the guitar break. Awesome vocal Janice. Also excellent production, mix and master. Well done...

Thanks Scott. We listened to bluegrass versions for decades so it was even more fun with Peter’s idea for a blues version.

J&B
That woke me up!

Peter& Co.,
Fantastic rendition! I am sure I've heard older versions, but this is so different, that listens as a brand new song. Super vocals by Janice, ACE arrangement and killer guitar. Mixed very well. Congrats to all participants and thank you for sharing.

Misha.
© PG Music Forums