PG Music Home
Posted By: Achordocaster Original Song "That's Why" - 09/08/10 09:13 PM
This was one of the first songs I did after I got the PGmusic software. Listening to it now... I realize all the progress I've made in the last 8 months.
It seems like I have everything but the kitchen sink in there! But for an early attempt, I think it's ok.

I played this song in bars for many years and it was always very well received, though this arrangement is quite a bit different than the one my band did for sooo long.

All RT's. Vocals and most all guitar work is me.

Hope you enjoy!

Comments welcome,

Greg

http://www.mymusicstream.com/gregachord/song-8407769390957.html

Words & Music: Greg Achord

That's Why

ISN'T IT FUNNY WHEN YOU MEET SOMEONE FOR THE FIRST TIME AND THEY
LEAVE YOU FEELIN SO WARM WARM INSIDE
ISN'T IT CRAZY WHEN YOU CAN LOOK DEEP INTO THEIR EYES AND SWEAR
THAT YOU CAN SEE SO MANY ENDLESS POSSIBILITIES

AND THATS WHY I'M TRYING TO GET YOU TO STAY CAUSE I DON'T EVEN
WANNA HAVE TO SAY GOODBYE TO YOU AND ALL WE MIGHT HAVE BEEN

ISN'T IT FUNNY THAT I FEEL AS IF I'VE BEEN WRITING LOVE SONGS TO YOU
WELL NOW ALL ALL ALONG
ISN'T IT CRAZY WHEN I TELL YOU THAT I FEEL AS IF I'VE KNOWN YOU IN MY
DREAMS FOR SUCH A LONG LONG TIME

AND THATS WHY I'M TRYING TO GET YOU TO STAY CAUSE I DON'T EVEN
WANNA HAVE TO SAY GOODBYE TO YOU AND ALL WE MIGHT HAVE BEEN
AND THATS WHY WELL I'M TRYING TO GET YOU TO SEE I KNOW YOU'D BE
GOOD FOR ME AND I THINK YOU KNOW THAT I'D BE GOOD FOR YOU

(RIDE) 25 BAR

AND THATS WHY I'M TRYING TO GET YOU TO STAY CAUSE I DON'T EVEN WANNA HAVE TO SAY GOODBYE TO YOU AND ALL WE MIGHT HAVE BEEN
AND THATS WHY WELL I'M TRYING TO GET YOU TO SEE I KNOW YOU'D BE GOOD FOR ME AND I THINK YOU KNOW THAT I'D BE GOOD FOR YOU
Posted By: Buford Re: Original Song "That's Why" - 09/09/10 01:44 PM
Hi Greg...early effort or not this is an excellent creation. Full production, very phat. Instruments are showcased separately. Did you play the nice guitar lead on this? When I first listened I was struck by the familiar sound of your voice; kept thinking "This sounds like someone I know..." Then it occurred to me. You sound like hit songwriter, platinum producer, Jim Mason! Amazing. Check it out.

Jim Mason Productions website

Kudos,
Bob
Posted By: Achordocaster Re: Original Song "That's Why" - 09/09/10 06:31 PM
Thanks Bob, I appreciate that. I played most of the guitar parts... but the solo was a RT I decided to try just for the hell of it, and after generating it I was so impressed it just had to stay... plus I didn't think I could do any better.

I'm not familiar with Jim Mason, I'll check him out.

Thanks again for your input,

Greg
Posted By: RickeG Re: Original Song "That's Why" - 09/10/10 01:52 AM
I echo Hawgly comments. One more thought, I would not categorize that song as country. It definitely has a nice pop sound to it. Even though it has violin and guitar solos, the chord arrangement definitely does not come across as country. Chords like Maj7, and Sus4 are not very common in the country music vocabulary.

Very catchy melody and jingle like sound that will resonate in my head after the song has completed. A very good sign of a well written song in my book. Very nice closing two part guitar with a happy sax.

The only criticism I have is the segue from first violin solo to guitar solo. There is an abrupt something there in the transition between the two that is for a brief moment that may need to be tweaked.

Cheers!
RickeG
Posted By: Achordocaster Re: Original Song "That's Why" - 09/10/10 05:02 AM
Hey Rick,

Thanks for your nice comments.
Hey, maybe I'm trying to EXPAND the country music vocabulary.
Actually I only labeled it country because I played it in country bars for 20 years, but your right, Pop or Pop/Expanded Country would be more appropriate.

As for the fiddle to guitar solo. Are you talking about the background power chords that hit on each chord change in the second half of the fiddle solo?? If so I've had other's that didn't think that was really working... So of course now I'm starting to think maybe they're right.

Thanks Again,

Greg
Posted By: MarioD Re: Original Song "That's Why" - 09/11/10 01:23 AM
Greg, this is a fantastic song!

Great chord progression, backing tracks and your vocals are top shelf!

This is definitely a cross over hit!
Posted By: Achordocaster Re: Original Song "That's Why" - 09/11/10 08:16 AM
Mario,

Thank you so much! If you could see me right now... I'm actually beaming!

Greg
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Original Song "That's Why" - 09/12/10 12:09 AM
Hi Greg,

Impressive work! And for an early attempt, I think it's brilliant. I'm trying to imagine what kind of stuff you will be doing in 12 months from now I'm looking forward to hearing it.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Achordocaster Re: Original Song "That's Why" - 09/12/10 10:01 AM
Hey Thanks Noel. I do hope that I can continue to improve. I sure love these programs.
More to come!

Greg
© PG Music Forums