PG Music Home
Posted By: mglinert If you have 3' 30 to spare... - 09/12/10 07:15 PM
As a campaigner for exactly this type of forum, thanks Peter for launching the Showcase.

Plenty of songs have been written about those who display courage in the face of adversity. But hardly any in praise of those who give in without putting up a fight. So for all those who wave the white flag at the first sign of trouble, this one * is for you.

Hope you enjoy it – any comments, as always, gratefully appreciated.

Made with PTPA 11.0 (4), Audacity and B-i-a-b 7.0G for a hand with the composing. Only the drums left from that in this demo.

All effects used are PG supplied (pre-set categories in the vox, PG Dynamics, EQ, Peak Limit in the master output…) and are added through PTPA. No Real Tracks as I don’t own the product.

You may have already seen this post over at the “Off Topic” forum as I have only just found out about the existence of the Showcase.

I think that covers all the points in Peter’s introductory post

* If for any reason the link fails, go to my SoundClick site and play 'Loser's Celebration' in hi-fi mode (the little black arrow).
Posted By: Buford Re: If you have 3' 30 to spare... - 09/12/10 07:57 PM
Oh man...those lyrics are great! You're a heck of a lyricist "...I can't wait for the will..." I'm still laughing at that one. Great job, Marc. Keep 'em coming.

Bob
Posted By: tributeman Re: If you have 3' 30 to spare... - 09/12/10 09:03 PM
its sounds as if you record all midi any reason why you dont use real tracks Marc
Posted By: Sundance Re: If you have 3' 30 to spare... - 09/13/10 05:11 AM
Marc,
You made me laugh out loud more than once listening to this song. And I loved the ending tag line. Absolutely fun and entertaining from start to finish. Humor songs can be difficult to pull off. Great lyrics. Well done!
Posted By: mglinert Re: If you have 3' 30 to spare... - 09/13/10 09:15 AM
Thanks for those comments. Really appreciate it.
Yes, Bob - I must admit that on this one I worked much harder on the lyric than on anything else. Hence no fancy instrumentation, solos and the like. I hoped the piece would stand or fall on the strength of the lyric.

Well there's one pretty compelling reason why I don't use RealTracks Tributeman. I don't have the programme. I get by just fine with PTPA 11.0 (4). I invariably finish up recording everything live anyway, using b-i-a-b simply to set up guide tracks for the song. BTW the lead gtr hook and 'country' gtr you hear panned to one side are live audio i.e. a real guitar!

Josie I was aware of that. Although good comedy songs are just fantastic (a boy named Sue...) it's very easy to make a complete mess of them. Glad to hear that I didn't fall into any of the traps with this one.
Posted By: Buford Re: If you have 3' 30 to spare... - 09/13/10 01:50 PM
Some texts on the US music biz refer to this style as "novelty songs." Regardless, you're in pretty good company: "Dang Me" - Roger Miller, "The Streak" and "Ahab the Arab" - Ray Stevens, and "I Like Women A Little on the Trashy Side" (Trashy Women) - Confederate Railroad...this list is long and star-studded. All of these were hits, and you have the talent to write one just as good if not better! Go for it!

Bob
Posted By: mglinert Re: If you have 3' 30 to spare... - 09/13/10 02:26 PM
Quote:

Go for it!

Thanks Bob for your support and encouragement. Will do...
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: If you have 3' 30 to spare... - 09/14/10 03:07 AM
Marc,

I thought this was not only an extremely clever concept for a song, it is also a theme that many people could identify with (I'm one of those who relates to it). An idea with broad appeal is a potentially marketable commodity. If you ever try to sell your songs, you should certainly push this one.
Posted By: mglinert Re: If you have 3' 30 to spare... - 09/14/10 01:31 PM
Thanks Pat. I really appreciate your comments. I'd love to sell this one (and all the others!). Just don't know how.
I did try to attract some interest in one of my earlier tunes which was well recieved here (sent around 20 cds out to publishers, extensive e-mailing campaign..) but nothing came of it.
Posted By: MarioD Re: If you have 3' 30 to spare... - 09/16/10 02:37 PM
Quote:

Marc,

I thought this was not only an extremely clever concept for a song, it is also a theme that many people could identify with (I'm one of those who relates to it). An idea with broad appeal is a potentially marketable commodity. If you ever try to sell your songs, you should certainly push this one.

A big +1

Super song Marc!
Posted By: mglinert Re: If you have 3' 30 to spare... - 09/16/10 08:57 PM
THanks for taking the time to listen Mario and for your kind comments
© PG Music Forums