PG Music Home
Posted By: MarioD A new song - Cool Evening - 09/21/10 02:53 PM
Last week I was out on my patio cooking burgers and hots. As I was sitting in a chair a gentle breeze was quietly playing the wind chimes and the birds were singing their songs. Those were the only sounds one could hear. I said what a Cool Evening this is. So immediately after supper I tried to emulate that peaceful easy feeling. Let me know what you think.

Technical stuff: This song started in Band-in-a-Box using the Awaken2 style then brought into Sonar and morphed into what you hear here.
Posted By: Jan Romanoff Re: A new song - Cool Evening - 09/21/10 06:17 PM

Hi MarioD

This IS cool. Your tune fits perfectly to your description. I bet you must have had a peaceful moment making this tune.

// Jan
Posted By: Noel96 Re: A new song - Cool Evening - 09/21/10 11:32 PM
Hi Mario,

This song is absolutely beautiful. Top notch in every aspect. The production is professional quality all the way. The work would be really well placed in movies/visual media. Have you ever thought about making your songs available to a local educational institution that needs exactly this kind of material?

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: jford Re: A new song - Cool Evening - 09/22/10 01:02 AM
Mario -

This was exactly my evening out on the deck and patio last weekend. Steaks on the grill, good wine, lots of nature (birds, breeze through the trees, squirrels playing, sun going down, the waterfall in the pond gurgling, etc...). Thanks for doing this.
Posted By: MarioD Re: A new song - Cool Evening - 09/22/10 04:06 PM
Thanx all for listening and the very kind reviews.

Jan – sometimes making a peaceful tune can be very upsetting. Like when one of my soft synths decided it had a mind of it’s own during the making of this one! I had to give it a time out and change a setting that somehow got changed. Thanx for the kind words.

Noel – thanx for the vote of confidence. Maybe sometime this winter I’ll have time to investigate your educational institution suggestion.

John, it sounds like we were grilling on the same day! The only difference is that you had steak and wine and I had hots and beer! Not to worry as I grilled steak last night, but I still had beer with it! Everything tastes better when charcoal grilled!
Posted By: jford Re: A new song - Cool Evening - 09/22/10 04:14 PM
Quote:

but I still had beer with it!

Well, after spending a lot of this past summer wine-tasting at vineyards at Niagara on the Lake, the Lake Erie region of New York, the Eastern Shore of Maryland, and across a lot of Virginia, we now have a a fair amount of very good (but reasonably priced) wine to go through.

But, beer's good too!
Posted By: Skyline Re: A new song - Cool Evening - 09/23/10 07:48 AM
Superb, Mario. Haunting, evocative and excellently played and produced.
I really enjoyed it.

John
Posted By: MarioD Re: A new song - Cool Evening - 09/23/10 01:20 PM
John, thank you very much for the extremely kind review.

I’m glad you liked it.
Posted By: rharv Re: A new song - Cool Evening - 09/23/10 06:37 PM
This sounds familiar

Like I said at the other site; great job capturing it.
Very nice work.
Posted By: Marty Wittmann Re: A new song - Cool Evening - 09/24/10 02:58 AM
Hi Mario,
Cool Evening is fantastic! I loved the layers and haunting melody. Nicely done!!
Marty
Posted By: MarioD Re: A new song - Cool Evening - 09/25/10 12:53 AM
Thank you very much for the kind reviews Bob and Marty.
Posted By: CarlosEArellano Re: A new song - Cool Evening - 09/25/10 03:07 PM
Great work Mario, I love when Band-in-a-Box is used as a base tool for develop ideas like you did in this charming piece of music. The enchanting first melody remind me to some Pat Metheny mood, flute follow and lead to a kind of natural paradise of absolute peace. Acoustic guitar work add a beautiful warm touch. Congratulations Mario, you have broken the mold of the usual here...in a very pleasant way.

Carlos
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: A new song - Cool Evening - 09/26/10 02:40 PM
Mario,

You seem to have a knack for evoking emotive images with your music. Who are your influences? Are you familiar with Andreas Vollenweider? (you should be able to find much of his stuff on youtube if you search for his name)

Anyway, I mention him because several of your offerings have reminded me of his work. Check it out if you aren't already a fan.
Posted By: MarioD Re: A new song - Cool Evening - 09/28/10 02:00 PM
Thanx Carlos for the extremely kind review. Thanx also for the Pat Metheny comment as he is one of my favorite guitarists.

Many times I will have a rough chord progression that I worked out on my guitar and bring it into BiaB. Then I try different styles until I find one I like and tweak, change and/or add chords until I’m satisfied. I bring that into Sonar and figure out some lead work, background voices and modify the BiaB arrangement. Sometimes that modification can vary from none to extreme changes. I find this an excellent way to practice my instruments while having fun. It can also introduce me to music genres that I would normally not venture into. BiaB is great fun!
Posted By: MarioD Re: A new song - Cool Evening - 09/28/10 02:10 PM
Thanx Pat for the very kind words

Just about everyone out there is my influence! I’ve played guitar in wedding bands for years so I can play everything between polkas, country and jazz. I can play a little of everything but not one thing extremely well, like the jack of all trades but a master of none. I listen to everything at least once.

Yes I am very familiar with Andreas Vollenweider. To say that my music reminds you of his is an honor for sure, thank you. He and David Arkenstone are a couple of my favorite new age artists.
Posted By: LPman Re: A new song - Cool Evening - 09/21/14 05:39 AM
I love this tranquil piece... Very nice arrangement :-)
Posted By: Sundance Re: A new song - Cool Evening - 09/21/14 02:31 PM
+1 to what's been said already. Great work Mario.
Love the guitar and the chimes.

Josie
Posted By: RnAM Re: A new song - Cool Evening - 09/21/14 10:53 PM
Hello Mario,

This surely gives us a peaceful easy feeling!
One of the synth sounds has a subtle Vangelis touch to it.
Very nice!

Regards,
Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: MarioD Re: A new song - Cool Evening - 09/21/14 11:28 PM
Originally Posted By: LPman
I love this tranquil piece... Very nice arrangement :-)

WOW you pulled this one out of the archives! It was four years ago that I posted this! So long ago that I had to play it as I forgot I even did this one!

Thanx for listening and the very nice comments.
Posted By: MarioD Re: A new song - Cool Evening - 09/21/14 11:29 PM
Thank you very much Josie for listening and commenting. I really appreciate it.
Posted By: MarioD Re: A new song - Cool Evening - 09/21/14 11:30 PM
Thanx very much Rob and Anne-Marie for listening and commenting on this oldie but goodie! I'm glad that you like it.
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: A new song - Cool Evening - 09/22/14 12:12 AM
hi marioD awesome peace here very engaging love it thanks for sharing eric
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: A new song - Cool Evening - 09/22/14 01:12 AM
I tried to emulate that peaceful easy feeling...........And I knew you wouldn't let me down.......Very cool atmospheric music!! You're on a roll!! Have you thought about trying to hook up with someone in the film industry? Some of your stuff would make great soundtrack music. Another fine effort!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: airtcon-161 Re: A new song - Cool Evening - 09/22/14 04:15 PM
Mario, many nites after supper, I often go out and sit on my front porch and watch the sunset. It is such a relaxing place and my favorite place in the new house we built. This song reflects the peacefulness I have experianced sitting there. Very nicely done and quite enjoyable. Great job

Nelson
Posted By: Al-David Re: A new song - Cool Evening - 09/22/14 04:53 PM
Mario ...

What a treat for our ears! We write quite a bit of stuff like this but haven't posted any of it ... might do that!

This is beautiful and so relaxing. You're a master of the art ... and we're the benefactors of your talent. Great job! We totally enjoyed our listen. Best to you ...

Alan & Di
Posted By: aleck rand Re: A new song - Cool Evening - 09/22/14 06:27 PM
Wow! Some very interesting harmonic transitions. Beautiful voicings and wonderful effects. I heard at least two guitars. The second sounds like a nylon. Gorgeous.

Dean
Posted By: dani48 Re: A new song - Cool Evening - 09/22/14 09:31 PM
Hi, Mario !:))

What an ambient sound,
so relaxing and soothing,
like really being in your garden ?:))
I enjoyed this performance
really much !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: A new song - Cool Evening - 09/23/14 01:45 AM
Such a peaceful tune. Wonderful job on this. Thanks for posting.

Charlie
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: A new song - Cool Evening - 09/23/14 11:55 AM
I like the wind chimes in this. I have wind chimes hanging right off the backyard deck...near the bedroom window. So, often when I'm out there in the evening, enjoying the shade and the evening breeze, grilling some dinner, I hear them chiming away, making their happy sounds.

Nice tune...... Personally, I would have gone with more major chords and less with minor and atonal changes for a "happier.... more peaceful, relaxing" sound.

Nice work though to use BB for the seed to this project.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: A new song - Cool Evening - 09/23/14 01:28 PM
Perfect for the setting. We have some tuned chimes on our porch and they get downright melodic at times. This is great and REALLY sets the mood. Great playing.
Posted By: boehm Re: A new song - Cool Evening - 09/24/14 12:12 AM
Hi Mario,

for me it's haunting and in some parts threatening.
But it's a great piece of music. A perfect film score.

Guenter
Posted By: MarioD Re: A new song - Cool Evening - 09/24/14 02:07 PM
I want to thank everyone for listening and the extremely nice comments about this oldie! I really appreciate them.
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: A new song - Cool Evening - 09/26/14 01:34 AM
Mario,
Beautiful composition. It would make a great soundtrack or video.
SD
© PG Music Forums