PG Music Home
Nice traditional sounding tune with very good vocals. I enjoyed the listen. Not traversing any new ground here, but that's OK. Why do other folks' songs if you got originals that are just as fine?

Kevin
Great tune Bob!
Quote:

Nice traditional sounding tune with very good vocals. I enjoyed the listen. Not traversing any new ground here, but that's OK. Why do other folks' songs if you got originals that are just as fine?

Kevin

Thanks, Kevin...pleased you enjoyed it.

Bob
Quote:

Great tune Bob!

Goodness gracious! It's the boss! (..quick! everybody look busy!...)

Thanks for listening. I'm so glad you enjoyed our work...and YOUR work. Kudos for making all this possible. You're totally getting a credit on the album.

Bob
another home run for you, Hawgly! The lyrics are particularly interesting.
Quote:

Why do other folks' songs if you got originals that are just as fine?

Kevin

Bob,

I have to agree with Kevin, and your originals certainly ARE just as fine. I enjoyed it!

Are the drums a RT? If so did you get the presence on the cymbal with EQ or is it just happenin'?

Interesting choice to go with the ride cymbal throughout. I can't hardly get the drummer in our band to play his at all.

I don't think I heard A Bob guitar track... Now don't get lazy and let the RT's do all the work!

Great Job Buddy,

Greg
Quote:

another home run for you, Hawgly! The lyrics are particularly interesting.

Hey Pat...thank you so much. As a songwriter it's gratifying when someone steps beyond the music and mix to actually consider the story.

Thanks for listening,
Bob
Quote:

Quote:

Why do other folks' songs if you got originals that are just as fine?

Kevin

Bob,

I have to agree with Kevin, and your originals certainly ARE just as fine. I enjoyed it!

Are the drums a RT? If so did you get the presence on the cymbal with EQ or is it just happenin'?

Interesting choice to go with the ride cymbal throughout. I can't hardly get the drummer in our band to play his at all.

I don't think I heard A Bob guitar track... Now don't get lazy and let the RT's do all the work!

Great Job Buddy,

Greg

Hey Greg...how are things wayyyyy over there in GJ? Must be hunting season by now, eh? The drums are RT/RD, but the presence you're hearing (wow...you've got good ears!) is a result of the Reaper compressor on the master track in the final mix. It really added some sparkle to the whole mix and I didn't have to do my usualy EQ tweak. I used the BIAB style "as is" and the "B" part throughout the entire song to keep the driving feel. And like you, I want my drummers to use the whole set. My contribution to the guitar track was to add in an elec. guitar rhythm via RT. I also used Sony's "Nashville Wire" steel guitar loops CD to drop in some additional pedal steel in the right places, like after the lyric "steel gutar" and at the ending, while my Mullen G2 (made in Flagler, CO..btw) pedal steel looked on tearfully in horror and disgust. In short...yea, I guess I got lazy. I love that BIAB gives me the freedom to concentrate on the story, and let the software worry about the music. This has gotten to be just too much fun! Thanks PGM!

Thanks for lisening

Bob
Ain't nothing wrong with that song...just a whole lotta right!

Excellent song, Bob! Thanks.
Quote:

Ain't nothing wrong with that song...just a whole lotta right!

Excellent song, Bob! Thanks.

Hey John! How's things? Glad you enjoyed the song. More to come.

Thanks for listening,

Bob
Hi Bob,

Well, you have another hit with this song.
Loved the lazy feel (no offense - just don't know how to describe it) of this song.

Keep em comin'

Regards
Michee

P.S. I have purchased Reaper and am busy learning about mixing by doing (some great nights, most down the tube nights )
Hi Bob,

This is truly outstanding in every sense! The thing that really grabbed me was that you went straight into the vocals without any intro. This technique has been used by some of the most powerful and memorable songs I've ever known: for example "Hey Jude" - The Beatles; "American Trilogy" - Elvis Presley). My all-time favorite that uses this technique, though, is Dolly Parton's "Hello God" that she wrote in the wake of September 11. Here's a link to Dolly's song if you don't know it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vif3DjNm5...&playnext=1

You've written a terrific song, Bob. You've definitely got a fan in me

All the best,
Noel

P.S. Congratulations on "Wine and Liquor", too. You sure deserve the success.
Quote:

Hi Bob,

Well, you have another hit with this song.
Loved the lazy feel (no offense - just don't know how to describe it) of this song.

Keep em comin'

Regards
Michee

P.S. I have purchased Reaper and am busy learning about mixing by doing (some great nights, most down the tube nights )

Hey Michee...thank you. I know what you mean about the feel, it just kind of sways along. Very relaxing to sing with too.

Thanks for listening,
Bob
Quote:

Hi Bob,

This is truly outstanding in every sense! The thing that really grabbed me was that you went straight into the vocals without any intro. This technique has been used by some of the most powerful and memorable songs I've ever known: for example "Hey Jude" - The Beatles; "American Trilogy" - Elvis Presley).

Hey Noel...thank you so much. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I was trying to keep the song under 3:30 and I had a story to tell, and still wanted a bit of time for a short instrumental break, so I launched right into it. I actually had another full verse but declined to include it to save time. A recent hit by country singer Gretchen Wilson, "California Girls" uses this technique for getting right into the song. Here it is on YouTube: California Girls - Gretchen Wilson

Thanks for listening,
Bob
Quote:

Regards
Michee

I downloaded Reaper 18 days ago and I have over 60hrs on it! I know... Unbelievable! Watch yourself, the hours can just roll by.

Great Program, I'll gladly give 'em $40. The 400+ page PDF manual CAN BE very helpful.

Good Luck Michee.

Greg
Quote:

Quote:

Regards
Michee

I downloaded Reaper 18 days ago and I have over 60hrs on it! I know... Unbelievable! Watch yourself, the hours can just roll by.

Great Program, I'll gladly give 'em $40. The 400+ page PDF manual CAN BE very helpful.

Good Luck Michee.

Greg

Greg and Michee...I purchased the $40 version of Reaper about two months ago and put it on my laptop to play around with it and learn how to use it. I found it very easy to use, it's a lot like Sonar in it's basic functions, and I have yet to use the manual. It's also very "computer friendly" in that it seems to be very stingy with computer resources, unlike ProTools for example. I added the new Tascam-US144MKII-USB-2.0-4channel-AudioMIDI-Interface ($139) to the system and now my laptop is a mini recording studio capable of 96khz/24 bit recording. A cool, functional little setup. ~Bob

Hi Bob,
What a great hook/title for a traditional country song. I love the description in your lyrics - it's so vivid. Great balance of "saying" and "showing". And the little half yodel - sorry don't know what else to call it - in the vocal really adds to the vibe. Everything else has already been said. Two big thumbs up here!
Quote:

Hi Bob,
What a great hook/title for a traditional country song. I love the description in your lyrics - it's so vivid. Great balance of "saying" and "showing". And the little half yodel - sorry don't know what else to call it - in the vocal really adds to the vibe. Everything else has already been said. Two big thumbs up here!

Hi Josie...thanks. On the upside, it's easier to write that way if you've actually lived it...the downside is...you actually lived it. I had no idea that honky tonk music was having such a huge renaissance. A friend in FLA has enthusiastically taken this song and "Wine and Liquor" and sent them to a local station that has a very popular honky tonk music show. I used to sing Hank Williams tunes as a little kid, but this is my first foray into this genre since I started recording/producing. Who knew? I guess that's where the little "half yodel" came from. We warmed up our "yodel" for this song by recording this old HW tune also created with BIAB. I guess this was known as "moanin the blues" in it's heyday. Such fun to recreate the vibe.

Thanks for listening,

Bob
Bob,

You said you had a story - and you sure did an excellent job telling that story - and another fine example of what can be done without a pro studio.

I have been looking to replace my old US-122 - and was looking at spending a little more money - but the US144MKii sure seems to do the trick for you.

Thank so much for sharing with us - it's a great inspiration.
Quote:

Bob,

You said you had a story - and you sure did an excellent job telling that story - and another fine example of what can be done without a pro studio.

I have been looking to replace my old US-122 - and was looking at spending a little more money - but the US144MKii sure seems to do the trick for you.

Thank so much for sharing with us - it's a great inspiration.

Hey Rich...thanks. Glad you enjoyed it. I still haven't done a lot with the US144 yet, but I really like that it runs on USB power so you can take the computer anywhere and work on stuff. I've heard that it has to be the only device on the USB hub it's plugged into to avoid dropouts etc, but I haven't experienced any such problems. Lots of ram (2GB) in the laptop helps a lot, I also use an external USB hard disk for the audio files which frees up the main HD running XPPro. Still it rivals anything I've been able to do in our "big" studio; now I'm starting to wonder why I thought I needed to spend all that money.

Thanks for listening,
Bob
Great song Bob. Lyrics great- everything is working well. I'm on a laptop at the moment so I can't hear it in the best light, but it sounds like compression is pumping a little bit. The drums? The mix overall? Not sure, but it's noticable even on this lappy. Enough to pick up on and get in the way a bit- at least for me anyway, me being mister picky. May want to check that. But really great tune Bob. Another winner!

Dan
Had another listen. It's compression pumping. I'd say it's personal taste, but pumping compression really should be avoided in straight ahead country. Take it or leave it Bob, it's not make or break but it would be better to back it off a bit. I don't mean to be a pain. Forgive me. These things I notice. Really nice tune.

Dan
Quote:

Had another listen. It's compression pumping. I'd say it's personal taste, but pumping compression really should be avoided in straight ahead country. Take it or leave it Bob, it's not make or break but it would be better to back it off a bit. I don't mean to be a pain. Forgive me. These things I notice. Really nice tune.

Dan

Hey Dan...yea I've been playing around with Reaper to see what it's capable of. BTW...you're the one who got me to try it, so a big "thank you"...I'm reallly enjoying it! I'll transfer the tracks over to Sonar for final mixing, and Sound Forge for mastering. I'm not a huge fan of compression except for my Tele when doing that country rock stuff. Still, the ones in Reaper are pretty good plugins. Haven't found anything I'm in love with yet. I'm replacing the steel track with a performance from an excellent local player who also has a studio here. He's proficient on both pedal and non-pedal and has offered to do some "Don Helms" (...for the uninitiated, "Uncle Don" was Hank Williams' steel player.) style non-pedal on this one. Can't wait to see what he comes up with.

Also, I've had calls/meetings with three local country bands in the last week looking for some new "honky tonk style" songs to add to their sets! This is pretty exciting since I've never been approaced by a band to do my stuff before. I played both of the new songs at the Northern Colorado Songwriters Circle and I guess that's how word got out about some "new old country" being written. Not sure what it is about this old stuff, but I can't remember the last time I had this much fun writing and recording music. Who knew?

Have you been working on anything interesting?

Later,
Bob
Glad you're liking reaper. It is great right? The plugins are really great for sure. Great to hear all your positive news. I'm a HUGE hallowen nut and for a couple of weeks I put music aside and worked on my home haunt. Now that it's over, I'm thinking of redoing an older traditional country song I did some years ago. I think it'll be great with biab. Did you check out the one I posted a few weeks back? Look a couple of pages in- you'll find it. It's called It's love I'm fallin in. Not sure if I'm gonna whip up something new or double back for that older one. We'll see.

Dan
Quote:

Glad you're liking reaper. It is great right? The plugins are really great for sure. Great to hear all your positive news. I'm a HUGE hallowen nut and for a couple of weeks I put music aside and worked on my home haunt. Now that it's over, I'm thinking of redoing an older traditional country song I did some years ago. I think it'll be great with biab. Did you check out the one I posted a few weeks back? Look a couple of pages in- you'll find it. It's called It's love I'm fallin in. Not sure if I'm gonna whip up something new or double back for that older one. We'll see.

Dan

Hey Dan...you know I did listen to your song a while back and I really liked what you did. I didn't get a chance to leave a comment but I'll go back and revisit it. Everything you've submitted is so very well done in every area. Impressive stuff; you're quite the talented man.

I'd like to see some pics of your "home haunt" if you've got some. (Send to the email on my profile page) We live in a big subdivision (over 300 homes and three schools) that's a "hatchery", as one friend put it, with tons of little kids coming around with their parents at Halloween; little tiny tykes in their costumes, wide-eyed incredibly cute kiddos. My kids (22 and 26!) love giving out treats. I think they're re-living the experience of Haloween vicariously.

Later,
Bob
© PG Music Forums