PG Music Home
Posted By: Marty Wittmann "I Can Hear You Calling" Gospel Song - 11/27/10 05:49 PM
This is a new song written by Brent Beaurdeaux and recording in Geezer's Studio using Band In A Box. The vocals are sung by Brent and the arrangement and production were done by me. We are putting together a Christian CD and this is the second cut. Comments are welcomed.
Marty

"I Can Hear You Calling"
http://mgwitt.webplus.net/brent.html
Posted By: rsdean Re: "I Can Hear You Calling" Gospel Song - 11/27/10 07:55 PM
Marty, great song, arrangement and production. Awesome vocals by Brent as well.

Bob
Thanks Bob. I appreciate the kind words and the listen.
Marty
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: "I Can Hear You Calling" Gospel Song - 11/28/10 01:56 AM
I really liked this song and the backing you came up with. Excellent use of the Real Tracks. Way to go !!

Trax
Posted By: Sundance Re: "I Can Hear You Calling" Gospel Song - 12/01/10 03:10 AM
Hey Marty,
Interesting arrangement - I wasn't sure about it at first but by the end of the song you pulled me into it. Like the emotion in Brent's vocal. Enjoyed listening.
Posted By: dcuny Re: "I Can Hear You Calling" Gospel Song - 12/01/10 05:46 AM
As others have mentioned, Brent's really nailed the emotion in the vocal.

The "spaces" in the vocal, such as "Jesus...I can hear you calling" didn't work for me - they pulled me out of the song and left me waiting in the silence. It felt like a gimmick without a payoff.

You held my attention with the lyric. There's only spot where I couldn't make out the words:

When I'm feeling sorry for myself/and I've run out of ????

I like the vocal harmony, and the instrumentation is good. But there's something about the mix that I can't quite put my finger on - the various parts feel a bit "detached". Maybe it's the reverb on the vocal, or on the drums.

Anyway, solid work.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: "I Can Hear You Calling" Gospel Song - 12/01/10 09:12 AM
Hi Marty,

I really liked this song. The arrangement is very different and very skillful; it worked for me. Like Sundance, I was pulled into the song as well. It was a terrific listening experience. For what it's worth, I had one small lyric problem. Since no-one else has drawn attention to it, it's probably me but I'll mention it anyway When Brent sang the lines, "Everyltime I hear you calling, I turn to him and laugh", I thought "him" referred to Job; then I thought it was Satan. To be honest, I'm still not quite sure who "him" is. Have you thought of trying something like, "I turn to the devil and laugh" or " ... turn to Job and laugh"? Just my two cents worth.

Overall, it's another 10/10 from me

Regards,
Noel
Hi Marty,

Very good song.
Well sung by Brent.
Arrangement is good.

Well done.

Best regards
Michee
Posted By: dcuny Re: "I Can Hear You Calling" Gospel Song - 12/01/10 09:50 AM
Quote:

When Brent sang the lines, "Everytime I hear you calling, I turn to him and laugh", I thought "him" referred to Job; then I thought it was Satan.

That lyric caught my ear as well. I'm used to hearing the phrase in the context of turning to God, so it took a moment of reflection to parse the meaning. I figured it was an interesting (but perhaps unintended) turn of a phrase. But since I'd essentially be complaining that your lyric made me - heaven forbid - think, I thought I was just being my typically pedantic self.

But in retrospect, I agree with Noel - the line could be more clear.
Thanks for listening. I agree on the lyric confusion. I think a change is in order. It is always good for others to point out things that are not so apparent to the performers.
Thanks again,
Marty
© PG Music Forums