PG Music Home
Posted By: MarioD 1980 FM - a flashback song by MarioD - 12/21/10 05:01 PM
I was communicating with a fellow PGMusic forum member about the old FM sounds and how they can be recreated in NI’s FM7 and/or FM8. Although I have FM7 I rarely use it so I thought why not do a retro 1980’s song using FM sounds. Thus I picked out Band-in-a-Box style Excite1, modified it slightly, and came up with this .

The drums are from the electronic kit in Cakewalks TTS-1 soft synth and the guitar is me but all other sounds came from the FM7.

I hope you enjoy the flashback!
Posted By: dcuny Re: 1980 FM - a flashback song by MarioD - 12/21/10 06:18 PM
Hehehehe. Love the electric toms.
Posted By: gibson Re: 1980 FM - a flashback song by MarioD - 12/22/10 01:28 PM
Well that takes me back to being thin and having no grey hair!
Thank goodness music has moved on from that
good bit of fun, Mario.
Memories! Great job Mario. I really loved the mix and panning and like Dave, the electronic drums. Lots of fun.
Marty
Posted By: MarioD Re: 1980 FM - a flashback song by MarioD - 12/23/10 12:12 PM
Thanx guys for listening and the comments. I’m glad you recognized the fun factor in this one as that was my goal; create a nostalgic fun song with yesteryears sounds. However I will admit that some of those FM sounds end up in my more modern songs.
Posted By: GDaddy Re: 1980 FM - a flashback song by MarioD - 12/30/10 10:01 PM
Nothing like Hoagy Carmichael's "Stardust Memories", but I can dig it!!!

http://www.metrolyrics.com/stardust-hoagy-carmichael-video-hoagy-carmichael.html

.Sometimes I wonder why I spend
the lonely nights dreaming of a song
The melody haunts my reverie
And I am once again with you...

I'd like to hear you do a recording of this one, too.....listen to the great gypsy kinda treatment on this one!:
Posted By: MarioD Re: 1980 FM - a flashback song by MarioD - 01/01/11 03:27 AM
Quote:

Nothing like Hoagy Carmichael's "Stardust Memories", but I can dig it!!!

http://www.metrolyrics.com/stardust-hoagy-carmichael-video-hoagy-carmichael.html

.Sometimes I wonder why I spend
the lonely nights dreaming of a song
The melody haunts my reverie
And I am once again with you...

I'd like to hear you do a recording of this one, too.....listen to the great gypsy kinda treatment on this one!:

Stardust is one of my favorites. I have played it many times. However if Noel and I did do a version we could not post it here do to the “no covers” rule. Maybe we/I could record it and email it to you?
Posted By: mglinert Re: 1980 FM - a flashback song by MarioD - 01/01/11 10:33 AM
some great patches in there Mario. Love the cheesy synth!
© PG Music Forums