PG Music Home
Posted By: PgFantastic New Song - 01/09/11 12:13 AM
Here is my latest song. The title is "It is you." It is a departure from my normal songs. It is a blues number, It has a twist to it. It was created using all real instruments from Biab 2010.5. I hope you enjoy it. Any advice is welcome.

http://www.reverbnation.com/roberttaylor4christ
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song - 01/09/11 12:28 AM
Hey Robert!

Wow!!!!! This is VERY different from your usual style and you've done a great job putting it together. I've got to say that your performance is as confident and convincing as they come. In my opinion, this is excellent songwriting.

On the production side of things, I found myself wondering if you had tried leaving the blues sax out of the mix in the first verse and first chorus (and possibly the second verse as well). I've found that sometimes by saving something until a bit later in the arrangement, it helps to lift the energy of the song up a notch when it comes in. Stephen Webber (Grammy award winning producer and professor at Berklee College, Boston) calls this kind of technique "building a sonic emotional curve for the mix".

The above simply sprung to mind and I'm passing it on as food for thought, nothing more.

Once again, though, I think this is an exceptional effort!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: retake Re: New Song - 01/09/11 03:37 AM
Robert, You are right, it is very different for you, but I like it a lot.

Steve
Posted By: Sundance Re: New Song - 01/09/11 05:47 AM
Robert, you have a voice for the blues!
Posted By: rsdean Re: New Song - 01/09/11 03:45 PM
Great song and a great voice! Nicely done.

Bob
Posted By: Powderman Re: New Song - 01/12/11 12:48 AM
Robert

That certainly was a different path than usual - but it turned out good. Vocals were great - I might tend to agree a little with Noel with saving a little back for later in the tune but I went back for a second listen just as it is - so I guess I'm saying it's good as is.

Thank for sharing
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: New Song - 01/13/11 04:23 PM
Thanks everyone! Started writing a serious song and then the twist hit me. Thanks for all of the good comments and tips. I always appreciate the folks here at PG for guidance.

My Music
Read My Blog

My Reverbnation
Posted By: Skyline Re: New Song - 01/14/11 06:56 PM
Nice one Robert! I really liked that. You have a voice for dem blues alright.

John
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: New Song - 01/14/11 08:17 PM
Good job Robert. Cool tune. Nice work on the vocals.
Posted By: Harvey Gerst Re: New Song - 01/14/11 08:36 PM
Good job indeed. If it were me, I'd cut back on the harmonica a little bit (maybe 3dB less), and I'd bring up your voice about the same amount (+3dB). Move in a little closer to the mic for more of a Barry White kinda sound, and it's nailed.

Yup, you've got a great blues voice.
© PG Music Forums