PG Music Home
Posted By: rsdean "Rusted Rocketship" - 03/06/11 08:14 PM
Here's a new one - BIAB/RT's mixed down on Tascam DP-008. Thanks for listening...

Bob

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10364224

Rusted Rocketship

Some years ago we rode
A rusted rocketship to the sun
You never once believed
It was all just for fun
You rose in the morning
And another night was done

Once I took a walk
Ended up in another place
You came and rescued me
Such a familiar face
You gave me back
A sense of time and space

Chorus:
So c'mon baby
We need something to believe in
Cause we're running out of reasons everyday
So c'mon baby
We need something to believe in
Cause we're running out of reasons everyday

We'd listen to some Dylan
And get tangled up in blue
I would give you everything
You were something to pursue
You'd give it back
And make it all brand new

See the dawn come calling
And the red sun over the bay
The years are falling swiftly
Our skies are turning to gray
You used to run with the twisters
Now you're just blowing away

Chorus: repeat
Posted By: PeteG Re: "Rusted Rocketship" - 03/06/11 09:29 PM
Nice job - very Dylanesque in a good way - liked the lyric - the singing - the harp - good song.
Posted By: Sundance Re: "Rusted Rocketship" - 03/07/11 01:43 AM
Hi Bob,

I enjoyed this. Like the uptempo beat and the harmonica is especially nice.
Posted By: rsdean Re: "Rusted Rocketship" - 03/07/11 02:52 AM
Pete, thanks for your kind words - much appreciated.

Bob
Posted By: rsdean Re: "Rusted Rocketship" - 03/07/11 02:53 AM
Josie, thanks - very appreciated.

Bob
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: "Rusted Rocketship" - 03/07/11 12:41 PM
Another good song! I can hear the Dylan influence here and also Neil Young comes to mind. Very much enjoyed!
Posted By: rsdean Re: "Rusted Rocketship" - 03/07/11 05:35 PM
Dave, thanks. That means a lot!

Bob
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: "Rusted Rocketship" - 03/08/11 03:15 AM
You have that Dylan sound. Nice production, great vocal. Thanks for sharing!

My Music Reverbnation
My Music Myspace
Read My Blog
Posted By: Achordocaster Re: "Rusted Rocketship" - 03/08/11 06:12 AM
I enjoyed this as well. Good song, good mix, and I thought the harp worked really well too.

Greg
Posted By: Noel96 Re: "Rusted Rocketship" - 03/08/11 10:07 AM
HI Bob,

It's all been said so please add a big +1 from me I've got to admit that I'm always captured by an uptempo 8-beat. The mix was excellent. The harmonica was a terrific touch!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: rsdean Re: "Rusted Rocketship" - 03/08/11 11:15 AM
Robert, thanks very much. Best of luck with your contest!

Bob
Posted By: rsdean Re: "Rusted Rocketship" - 03/08/11 11:16 AM
Greg, thanks - very much appreciated.

Bob
Posted By: rsdean Re: "Rusted Rocketship" - 03/08/11 11:18 AM
Noel, thanks. I've had a lot of interest in the song. In fact, I'm changing the title to "Running Out Of Reasons", changing the arrangement a bit and recutting it with another singer added. Stay tuned!

Bob
Posted By: Steve Young Re: "Rusted Rocketship" - 03/08/11 06:38 PM
Bob, very nice song. I think this one does have some real potential for you!

Steve
Posted By: rsdean Re: "Rusted Rocketship" - 03/08/11 08:01 PM
Thanks Steve!

Bob
Posted By: Shockwave199 Re: "Rusted Rocketship" - 03/08/11 09:49 PM
Cool track! Great title! How do you like that Tascam Bob? That's a nifty little unit, it seems. Looks like that may be a good one to capture our band rehearsals maybe. Something simple, yet a little more flexible than just a stereo recorder. Nice work on this one!

Dan
Posted By: Brian Scarratt Re: "Rusted Rocketship" - 03/08/11 10:39 PM
Hi i like this song very much it too reminds me of Dylan who i really like ,and you sure have a very good voice for this sort of performance,got me tapping my foot ,very good,and best wishes Brian.
Posted By: rsdean Re: "Rusted Rocketship" - 03/09/11 02:45 AM
Dan, thanks for your kind words.

I love the Tascam - I've been using their products for many years and have had every iteration of multi-track recorder. This one is great - very flexible and is able to produce some really great sounds without a lot of complexity.

Bob
Posted By: rsdean Re: "Rusted Rocketship" - 03/09/11 02:46 AM
Brian, thanks so much. I have also been enjoying your songs.

Bob
Posted By: Skyline Re: "Rusted Rocketship" - 03/09/11 11:19 AM
Another winner, Bob! You've got a singular gift with lyric writing, no mistake. I really enjoyed it.

John
Posted By: rsdean Re: "Rusted Rocketship" - 03/09/11 01:07 PM
John, thanks - I really appreciate that.

Bob
Posted By: dcuny Re: "Rusted Rocketship" - 03/10/11 05:42 PM
As usual, great lyrics, and the music and your voice fit the song well.

You didn't ask for any criticism, so I'll apologize in advance if I'm overstepping here. But you might consider dropping the harmonica on the verses. It makes them seem a bit busy, and doesn't seem to add much. Plus, there's less change when it comes in on the chorus, where it fits very well. Just a thought.

Thanks for posting!
Posted By: rsdean Re: "Rusted Rocketship" - 03/10/11 05:56 PM
David, thanks for listening and I do appreciate your comments. This song is currently being re-worked to a shorter more consise version. It will also be performed with another singer, Tammy Carlson. The name has changed as well to "Running Out Of Reasons". So a lot of movement for this one song

Thanks - I like the suggestions regarding the harmonica - the new mix is close to what you have described. I'll post it here over the next day or so.

Bob
Posted By: dcuny Re: "Rusted Rocketship" - 03/10/11 07:27 PM
If you don't mind a bit of a digression here...

When I was a kid, there were these rides in front of the grocery stores - a rocket, train or fire engine... That kind of stuff. And my brothers and I would beg our parents to let us ride on them. My recollection was that they were always reluctant, but I'm sure I'm only remembering my disappointments. The rides were always too short, and we'd immediately be saying "Again!"

The rocket ride was always my favorite - it was shaped like the one in the one in the "Huckleberry Hound Lands on the Moon" ViewMaster reel (which just happens to be on my desk right now because my kids were going through the reels the other day):

I knew the ride wouldn't really head out to space, but in the back of my mind, I still hoped for some small, improbable chance that it just might happen. And the imagery of that fantasy was strong and vibrant - I could picture the rocket barreling through the clouds, and into the upper stratosphere.

When my own kids were younger - not that long ago! - I tried to make time for them to go on those ride when they asked, It really is true that they grow up fast.

Anyway, the other week I was taking my teenage son around town, and we passed by the K-Mart we used to shop at when I was a kid. I remarked how the rides were gone, and told him the part that sucked about becoming an adult was how your imagination - and being open to something impossible - withered away.

To the point: when I read the title "Rusted Rocketship", it really resonated with me. It's just a throw-away line, which is why I assume you've changed the title.

Now, I'm not suggesting that you write any of this as a song. (I can write my own damn song, thank you very much. Or apparently, I can't. )

I'm just suggesting you might be another song hiding in that title.
Posted By: rsdean Re: "Rusted Rocketship" - 03/10/11 07:48 PM
David, cool story. I remember those rides as well.

The rusted rocketship in my song represents my first car - an old rusted out VW Beetle from the 60's, which I thought was the greatest thing in the world and could take me anywhere - ah, youth!

Now go write that song!

Bob
© PG Music Forums