PG Music Home
Posted By: Sundance Rain On The Roof - Collab rsdean/Sundance - 03/08/11 06:11 PM
This is an easy listening accoustic folk song in the style of Peter Paul and Mary. No drums. All RTs. Jazz bass, strumming guitar, resonator guitar, nylon guitar.

Bob and I enjoyed doing it and hope you enjoy it too.

All comments welcome and appreciated.

Rain On The Roof

Rain On The Roof
©2011 Bob Dean, Josie Beck

What can we say about two old rings
Looking down on all these broken things
Recollections linger like passages of truth
Storm clouds break the dawn and hide the sun from the moon

There's rain, rain on the roof
Rain, rain soaking through
Come sit beside me while I tie my walking shoes

Where are the dreams that lived upstairs
Twisted points of view far beyond repair
Ghosts left to fly between the twilight blues
Settle down in empty houses as still as morning dew

Rain, rain soaking through
Come sit beside while I tie my walking shoes

Now rain is on your face
Tears looking for space
Faces change joy to pain
Faces change

repeat chorus
Excellent vocal! Excellent mix! Thanks for sharing!

My Music Reverbnation
My Music Myspace
Read My Blog
Josie and Bob!

Absolutely great! I listened to the song before I read your post, and I was thinking as I listened "this has a little Peter, Paul, and Mary sound to it, but more up to date." You guys did an awesome job on this one. You should do more together!

Steve
Josie,

Another fine song. Great mix, sounds really good! Is that your brother back for a reprise?

Greg
Thank you guys!

Greg, that is Bob's brother. LOL.
Posted By: rsdean Re: Rain On The Roof - Collab rsdean/Sundance - 03/08/11 08:02 PM
Thanks all!

Greg, my virtual brother
This is really, really great. Perfectly done, very nicely written. Love the modulation- very natural sounding and well placed. Really cool ending too. Very effective from top to bottom. This one is done. Don't change a thing!

A+

Dan
Posted By: rsdean Re: Rain On The Roof - Collab rsdean/Sundance - 03/08/11 09:29 PM
Dan, thanks. We had fun doing this one. Josie has a magic touch in the "studio".

Bob
Hi Josie love the harmonys ,it reminds me of the Seekers back in the sixties ,only better ,super mix the sound is real pro ,well done to you both,Brian.
Dan, Thank you! Bob had some nice lyrics - we switched them around and added some new lines got a tune going added the harmonies and viola here we are! The tricky part was lining up Bob's vox mp3 but RB did the job. I know some others use different edit software but RB edits great for me. Originally Bob was going to sing lead but for some reason I thought he said Ab instead of Eb so we switched since the tracks were already done in "Mary's" key.

Brian, Thank you! I love the Seekers great harmonies.
Posted By: rsdean Re: Rain On The Roof - Collab rsdean/Sundance - 03/09/11 02:48 AM
And you don't want to hear the outtakes of me singing it in Ab - LOL

Bob
Posted By: PeteG Re: Rain On The Roof - Collab rsdean/Sundance - 03/09/11 04:44 AM
Very nicely written and performed - I especially liked the chorus and how it jumped out.
your voices blended very well. The modulation added interest. it's a hit!
Great stuff Josie and Bob! Nice song immaculately presented. Yes, a nice Peter Paul and Mary flavour there. Excellent work.

John
Bravo - great work - the rest has been said.
Posted By: rsdean Re: Rain On The Roof - Collab rsdean/Sundance - 03/09/11 01:09 PM
Pete/John/Powderman,

Thank you very much! We appreciate your kind words.

Bob
Posted By: dcuny Re: Rain On The Roof - Collab rsdean/Sundance - 03/10/11 09:10 AM
When I saw this post the other day, I got pretty excited - my dream pairing of forum lyricist and singer/melody writer.

But the stupid SoundClick wouldn't play at work, and so (despite knowing better) I had a look at the lyrics before listening. Great stuff! A sort of Nebraska-era Springsteen treatment came to mind.

Which - of course - it the exact opposite approach you guys took. So when I heard the bouncy guitar and the catchy, upbeat chorus, my heart sank. I just can't reconcile that happy-sounding song with the melancholy lyric. ( at self for being a doofus, no one else agrees with me).

So keep it up - I want to hear more! I promise not to spoil things for myself next time by peeking at the lyrics!

PS: I love the ending!
Posted By: rsdean Re: Rain On The Roof - Collab rsdean/Sundance - 03/10/11 06:13 PM
David, thanks - see that's what you get for peeking!

We had a lot of fun putting this together. We're planning some other things as well - stay tuned...

Bob
Posted By: dcuny Re: Rain On The Roof - Collab rsdean/Sundance - 03/10/11 07:47 PM
Quote:

We had a lot of fun putting this together.

I think that's the problem - you guys sound much too happy!

I'm looking forward to what comes next.
Pete, John, Powderman - Thank you guys!

Aw David, that was my best Springsteen impersonation. LOL. Seriously, thanks for listening.
You are the first people I am listening to on this forum....really love your singing....I sing in a karaoke place called Sing Snap....go by my name...Deelyght.

Loved your composition and your sound is really clear...loved this a lot!!!

I am not able to use my real band...can't get any sound.....

wow I loved that ending.....that was totally awesome!

Deelyght
Hi Deelyght,

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you for listening. Glad you enjoyed it! Lots of good music around here.

Go to the off topic forum and start a thread stating your problem with the software. Be sure to include what computer system you're using, soundcard, mixer, interface, etc. You will get the answers you need to get it all working. There are incredible people in this community who go out of their way to help others. Also you can call support and they will help you.
© PG Music Forums