PG Music Home
Posted By: PgFantastic Original Song - 03/23/11 01:47 AM
Here is the first song I ever wrote, I was a young whipper snapper then. I had never recorded it before. I was just messing around with some effects and I tried to get a sort of piano effect with the guitar. I used Hi and low pass filters to try and capture the bass and treble of a piano. Here is what I came up with. The song is titled I Know.

vocal verse is deesser, eq, compressor reverb
vocal chorus is deesser, eq compressor reverb and then a delay
I grouped the vocals together and then put a compressor on the vocals as a whole.

The guitar I used a preset electric guitar eq, and then used a hi and low pass filter, and then panned the bass to the left and the treble to the right.
I grouped the guitars as a whole and then added an electric guitar chain of effects from my software.

Let me know what you think and if you have any tips for improvement. They are always welcome.

I Know
Posted By: gibson Re: Original Song - 03/23/11 08:26 AM
WOW, I like that apart from what appears to be a regular stick/click.
vocally and musically tho' I can't fault the simplicity. Very very nice.
Tune is stuck in my head now
Posted By: MarioD Re: Original Song - 03/23/11 01:02 PM
I agree with gibson. This is very good. I like the guitar and vocal like it is now. I believe that is all you need. It would be nice if you could get that stick/click out. That is only slightly distracting however I think that if it were gone the song would be super.

Maybe one of those free frequently analyzers could pin point it and a 31 band EQ could either eliminate it or lower its volume. Just a thought.
Posted By: Skyline Re: Original Song - 03/23/11 03:41 PM
Robert, that's a very nice song indeed, and sung well with a lot of heart coming through.
The mix was right-heavy on my headphones. I see what you were trying to do with EQ. but I'd have opted to pan the guitar over to the middle a bit more to keep the 'panorama' better balanced. Half way through I was expecting some light drum accompaniment to come in; nothing dramatic, just kick drum, hats, sidestick to give a lift at the halfway point. Nomatter, you still delivered a very pleasing result!

John
Posted By: Brian Scarratt Re: Original Song - 03/23/11 06:59 PM
Hi Robert,again your beautiful song is like a emotional ride where one cant decide where or when to get off,and your feelings really show thro,you sound like this beautiful song came from your heart ,maybe a true story for you to know only ,the only thing this song needs is lots of folk to take a listen,excellent ,my very best wishes Brian.
Posted By: Shockwave199 Re: Original Song - 03/24/11 01:47 AM
Am I hearing the same track or has this been changed out to a different version? I hear only guitar and vocal- guitar being more to the right side. Since you asked, there's nothing wrong with guitar and vocal only, at all. But I would have treated it all differently. First rule of thumb- simplify.

"vocal verse is deesser, eq, compressor reverb
vocal chorus is deesser, eq compressor reverb and then a delay
I grouped the vocals together and then put a compressor on the vocals as a whole.

The guitar I used a preset electric guitar eq, and then used a hi and low pass filter, and then panned the bass to the left and the treble to the right.
I grouped the guitars as a whole and then added an electric guitar chain of effects from my software."

No need for any of that. Start again. Use only eq on the voice and guitar. Avoid panning the guitar too far to one side. Do not brighten the guitar too much because the contrasting vocal seems too muddy. You have the entire eq spectrum open to you with only guitar and vocal. No need for extremes. Then on the master buss, put a nice subtle verb and a limiter on it for some more volume if it's too low. Simple.

I like this. It just needs more help by not helping so much. But really, if you do nothing, it's still very nice and effective as a song.

Dan
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Original Song - 03/25/11 03:15 PM
Thanks for the tips and suggestions. I am currently working on a new song, as soon as I get it done I will try some of the suggestions and re-post this song. I really appreciate everyone here at the site. You have all been so helpful over the years. Thanks! God bless!

My Music Reverbnation
My Music Myspace
Read My Blog
© PG Music Forums