PG Music Home
Posted By: Steve Young New Song - In The Middle - 04/12/11 04:09 PM
Hi all,

Okay, here is my first new song using the new Mac Version 2011. It's a little Jazz/Pop song I just wrote, called In The Middle. All the instruments are RT/RD (except I added a little brass and some bells toward the end). Hope you enjoy it. Please let me know what you think...

In The Middle

Here are the RT/RD's used...
Bass: 784 Pop Crossover SW16 075
Piano: 906 Electric Piano SmoothCool SW16 100
Drums: PraiseWorship Shine Set 01
Guitar: 870 Guitar Electric Modern RnB Rock Warm Quarters EV65
Strings: 787 Guitar Electric Crossover Clean SW16 090
Melody: 797 Guitar Electric Southern Snappy Clean EV90
Solo: 1059 Sax Soloist SmoothJazz Poppy EV 16 090 Bluesy
Solo: 1383 Guitar Soloist Acoustic Gypsy Jazz Fast Gonzalo SW220 Double Time
Piano: 689 Organ B3 Background Pop EV85

Thanks!

Steve
Posted By: rsdean Re: New Song - In The Middle - 04/12/11 10:29 PM
Steve, another great song and vocal. Very nice! I really like the mix of RT's on this, especially the inclusion of the sax. Great job.

Bob
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: New Song - In The Middle - 04/12/11 11:57 PM
Nice song. Sounds good. Thanks for sharing! Great lyrics.

My Music Reverbnation
My Music Myspace
Read My Blog
Posted By: Sundance Re: New Song - In The Middle - 04/13/11 05:22 AM
Hi Steve,

You know I'm a big fan of yours. I really like the hook - chorus of this song alot.

But for me, and this is just my two cents, the lyrics could be better with a rewrite especially the second verse. It's not that they are bad just imo not up to your usual writing. The sax I thought was a little busy for the "dreamy" emotion the song was talking about. Kind of a prosody thing going on for me here with the arrangement.

Still good work and you can take my two cents for what they're worth - two cents.
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - In The Middle - 04/13/11 05:23 PM
Josie,

Thanks so much for your input. I do appreciate your honesty! I'm not sure what I will change on the song at this point. I do frequently make minor changes to songs after I write them, as do probably most of us here. But I will certainly give some thought to what you posted. And your two cents are definitely worth more than two cents to me!

Thanks again,

Steve
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - In The Middle - 04/13/11 05:26 PM
Bob,

Thanks for your kind words. Glad you like the song! I always appreciate your taking the time to listen.

Steve

Robert,

Again, thanks so much for taking the time to listen! I appreciate your kind words!

Thanks again,

Steve
Posted By: Brian Scarratt Re: New Song - In The Middle - 04/13/11 05:28 PM
Hi Steve ,well for what my opinion is worth i honestly thought the song was as good as anything i hear in the charts and liked it a lot ,the music was really well put together and i thought your voice was excellent on my studio speakers maybe just a Little to much up front ,as i would have liked the music more forward and the wonderful voice sitting back a little in the mix but still 10 out of 10 from me best wishes Brian.
Posted By: George Nelson Re: New Song - In The Middle - 04/14/11 11:14 AM
Hi Steve,

Like the song but I like how you manipulate the RealTracks more

Very well put together.
Well done.

Best regards
George
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - In The Middle - 04/14/11 04:51 PM
Brian,

Thank you so much for your very generous words! This is still a pretty "early on" mix. When I get down to the final, hopefully the vocals will end up properly situated.

In my studio monitors, they sound about right, but I haven't given it the "multi-player" test yet. I usually will listen in both my car stereos, as well as a few different boom-boxes and home stereos to sort of get a consensus of the mix before I am all through.

George,

Thanks so much. I really appreciate your time and words!

Have a blessed day!

Steve
Posted By: Shockwave199 Re: New Song - In The Middle - 04/21/11 03:15 AM
Hi Steve. This is a good song. The ideas and the structure are there, no doubt. I would only suggest this- remove any compression and/or limiting you may have applied in an attempt to master this track. It's too squashed for the sake of loudness. I'm not sure if there is compression on the vocal because there is so much on the stereo mix, but it sounds like it and it too may be too much. Remove it at least from the stereo mix and the track should clean right up. Then if you really need to, carefully reapply maybe just a brickwall limiter to increase volume but keep it as transparent as possible. If you also have a multiband compressor on there, see if you can take it out. It could be the culprit for the over-squash at the moment.

The song though- very good!

Dan
© PG Music Forums