PG Music Home
Posted By: MarioD Today's Blues-ver 2 - 05/17/11 02:28 PM
Today's Blues-ver 2 is an improvement over the initial song. I replaced that god-awful sax, what was I thinking, with a new flute part that I think sounds a whole lot better.

What do you think?
Posted By: rsdean Re: Today's Blues-ver 2 - 05/18/11 11:02 PM
Mario,

I liked the other version, but think I like this one better. The flute is a nice fit with this arrangement. Very nice.

Bob
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Today's Blues-ver 2 - 05/19/11 12:35 AM
Your other version I liked too. With that said, your right the flute is much better than that other sax....

You still made me want to go to Bourbon St New Orleans and thinking about that made me hungry..lol

See the emotions your songs bring out....
Posted By: Ian Fraser Re: Today's Blues-ver 2 - 05/19/11 02:08 PM
Go Sens!

Hey my Sabres fanatical friend. I have used that BIAB style before - I do like the organ licks.

Question though - can you get a blues harp channel on that wind controller? I like this mix better
but IMO if you're gonna have that organ and lead guitar you've got to have more grit than a flute - I think you need some blues harp - can you get to that in your arsenal of tricks?

Cheers - Ian
Posted By: MarioD Re: Today's Blues-ver 2 - 05/20/11 12:05 PM
Thanx Bob, Paul and Ian for listening and the kind reviews.

Ian, yes I do have a blues harp soundsource. One potential problem is that a harp can be polyphonic while a wind controller is monophonic. I could overdub or use a keyboard or guitar controller. I just may try that. Thanx for the heads up!
Posted By: GDaddy Re: Today's Blues-ver 2 - 05/20/11 01:21 PM
Next is Moe Kaufman's "Swingin' Shepard Blues"????

You should do it "up", like Moe...sure with a swingin' jazz guitar part thrown in,
it would be a commercial hit...if you'd let me sing the final chorus!!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Today's Blues-ver 2 - 05/21/11 01:08 AM
Hi MarioD,

Excellent work! I, too, prefer the the flute. Your guitar playing is sensational! You've got the blues mastered. I'm just about to start on my 3rd listen.

Best regards,
Noel
Posted By: Pierre Julien Re: Today's Blues-ver 2 - 05/21/11 01:13 PM
Hey Mario

Don't know... Ah, I have to be frank and disagree with the majority of the "posters". Like Ian said the flute sound is a bit weak for that "gusto" type of music. I prefer listening to your great guitar playing rather than these other sounds coming from the wind controller. They don't sound real to me. Even if your the one playing them. Your guitar sound is real enough and it comes from the inside. There's a gut feeling in your guitar playing. I could listen to your playing for the whole song with nothing but enjoyment. But this is only my humble opinion.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Today's Blues-ver 2 - 05/21/11 09:41 PM
Thanx Gdaddy, Noel, and Pierre for listening and the comments.

Gdaddy, I will do “Swingin’ Shepard Blues” IF you sing all of the choruses.

Pierre, you are spot on! I’ve been playing the guitar for 50 years now but I’ve been playing the wind controller for about 2. I on a steep learning curve when it comes to the controller and I’m still a rookie’s rookie on it. I’m trying to learn the wind controller because when I play horn lines on my midi guitar controller and/or my keyboard they always come out static and adding midi controller data after the fact looses some if it’s intensity. A good wind controller player can add that intensity while they are playing. Obviously I’m not there yet and I have a long way to go but I’ll keep on trying. Thanx for your honest evaluation.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Today's Blues-ver 2 - 06/07/11 05:29 PM
Mario, Nice Blues guitar. Man you sure can play. Enjoyed much. Tom
Posted By: MarioD Re: Today's Blues-ver 2 - 06/07/11 05:31 PM
Thanx Tom!
Posted By: Marty Wittmann Re: Today's Blues-ver 2 - 06/07/11 06:29 PM
Nice blues! Good playing and the horns really add to the tune. Where did the horn section come from? Loved it!
Marty
Posted By: MarioD Re: Today's Blues-ver 2 - 06/08/11 12:35 AM
Thanx Marty for the kind review!

The horn section is the Brass 1 patch from the preset normal 0 bank of Cakewalk’s TTS-1.
Posted By: jford Re: Today's Blues-ver 2 - 06/08/11 01:04 AM
Hi, Mario -

I never heard the sax version to compare, but I'm a sucker for the sound of a flute, so I really enjoyed this. What we need is maybe a "Jethro Tull" preset to give it a little more grit, but you did that with the guitar, so it was a nice contrast.

Good stuff.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Today's Blues-ver 2 - 06/08/11 12:12 PM
Thanx John!

I'm also a sucker for the sound of a flute. I really liked Herbie Mann’s stuff from the 50’s to the 70’s. I’m glad you enjoyed this.
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Today's Blues-ver 2 - 06/08/11 01:57 PM
Love it ,I'm a sucker for the Blues ! Glad this Software has It ! Thanks for sharing your music ! Come listen to my Blues song tell me what ya think ! Blues @ 4Am
© PG Music Forums