PG Music Home
Posted By: Steve Young New Song - The Wind - 05/22/11 09:28 PM
Hi everyone,

Just wrote another one last night, and wanted to share it. It's a Gospel tune, called The Wind. Most of the instrumentation is RealTrax/RealDrums. The piano part is me, and the strings and brass were done with the Miroslav Philharmonik CE. I hope you enjoy it. Please let me know what you think.

The Wind

Here's the scoop on the RT/RD...

****** Song Summary *************
Title: The Wind - 68bmn
File:The Wind - 68bmn- key of d.MGU
Key=D , Tempo 68, Length (m:s)=3:07
No intro. 49 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 49. Repeat x1 chorus
No Melody
Soloist track has 393 notes, Soloist harmony is < no harmony >(0)
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Song is saved with bar changes for Volume Changes,
Soloist is saved with the song : Blues -(Even 8ths) Jz Guitar (19)
Style is _POPPNOF.STY (PopPiano FunkyTexasBlues(100 RS))
Style MIDI Instruments are :
RealTracks in song: 1190:Bass, Electric, ModernRnBRock Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 871:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ModernRnBRockWarmStrum Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 897:Guitar, 12-String Acoustic, Rhythm FolkRock Ev16 065
RealTracks in song: 367:Guitar, Electric, Background Dreamy Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 688:Organ, B3, Background Pop Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 1167:Guitar, Electric, Soloist RockBalladBrent Ev 065
RealDrums in Song: PraiseWorshipShine^02-ClHt,SCHt

Thanks!

Steve
Posted By: dcuny Re: New Song - The Wind - 05/22/11 11:26 PM
I'm a sucker for middle of the road, and you consistently build interesting arrangements that feel organic, and this one is no exception. The Miroslav instrumentation is a nice touch - subtle but effective.

On the first listening, I was a bit surprised with the final ending. The vocals close off the song, but the solo sounded more like a middle section than an end, so I was a bit taken aback at the final cadence. It made sense on second listening, but I figured I'd mention it anyway.

I've got a continuing quibble with the amount of processing on your voice, but it seems to be your "trademark sound", and it is a lovely sound.

Nicely done, and thanks for posting!
Posted By: rsdean Re: New Song - The Wind - 05/23/11 01:00 AM
Steve,

As usual - great stuff. I enjoyed it.

Bob
Posted By: Sundance Re: New Song - The Wind - 05/23/11 03:01 AM
Hey Steve,

This is one beautiful song and arrangement. I loved it.
Posted By: George Nelson Re: New Song - The Wind - 05/23/11 11:26 AM
Hi Steve,

Wonderful song.

Just a comment on your vocal....
I lose the impact of the word "die" because it is being drowned out by the music at that point.
There are some other places where the same happens.
Just thought I'd mention it because your song deserves to be perfect.

Best regards
George
Posted By: CeeBee Re: New Song - The Wind - 05/23/11 11:42 AM
Excellent arrangement Steve, and perfect to my ears.

cheers
Chris
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - The Wind - 05/23/11 01:39 PM
David,

Thanks so much for your time and comments. They are always welcome. I thought about adding something to the end of the song, but "philosophically" decided to let it end on the guitar solo, so as to give time for reflection of the words of the last verse. Pretty deep, huh! lol And I wanted to try to keep the song close to 3:00. (It comes in at about 3:10.) And for an inexpensive instrument plugin, the Miroslav does work pretty well to my ears. As a violinist, I would like more real sounding strings, but this is not bad. Thanks again!

Bob,

Thanks so much! Glad you enjoyed it!

Josie,

As always, thanks for your kind words!

George,

I really appreciate your taking the time to listen and comment! I am going to redo the vocals soon. When I recorded them (late Sunday night), I was having a lot of throat trouble, and a lot of congestion. Really had a hard time making it through the song. Waiting for some "clearing up" and then I will redo the vocals. Thanks again!

Chris,

Thank you so much! Your time and thought are greatly appreciated!

Hope you all have a great day!

Steve
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: New Song - The Wind - 05/23/11 05:35 PM
Wow! Excellent arrangment and fabulous vocal work, wonderful lyrics. Great production! Thanks for sharing!

My Music Reverbnation
My Music Myspace
Read My Blog
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - The Wind - 05/23/11 10:50 PM
Robert,

Thank you so much for your generous comments! Very much appreciated!

Steve
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: New Song - The Wind - 05/24/11 01:29 AM
Sounds great Steve. Nice job!
Posted By: Shockwave199 Re: New Song - The Wind - 05/24/11 03:05 AM
Steve- just beautiful man. Really nice sounds and song. You really do a great job at putting your music together. This track had my computer speakers rumbling a bit at my usual monitoring levels. It may be just a bit too loud overall, or it may be some low frequency buildup going on in the mix. You might do well cutting some low frequencies off your vocal around the 125 area to help clean out. But aside from that, really wonderful. And I AM a sucker for strings. Always have been. That string package you're using sounds good to me, sweetening the track nicely. The string pads are always the sweetener, as it's referred to as. If you think you might want some a little bit more check out this-

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GPO4

Very reasonable for such a great sounding library. But really, your strings are doing a fine job.

Great song!

Dan
Posted By: Shockwave199 Re: New Song - The Wind - 05/24/11 03:26 AM
Btw- take a peek for my email Steve. It might go to spam.

Dan
Posted By: MarioD Re: New Song - The Wind - 05/24/11 01:59 PM
Steve, all I can say is WOW

Your song writing and mixing skills are second to none

This is pro all the way!

Two thumbs up.
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: New Song - The Wind - 05/24/11 04:58 PM
Steve,
I was blown away by this song (no pun intended)! Fantastic arrangement and vocal performance. Nice keyboard comp also.
Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - The Wind - 05/24/11 06:42 PM
Peter,

Thanks so much for listening, and for your kind words!

Dan,

Thank you very much for your input! I always appreciate it.

Mario,

Thanks again for all your kind words! I truly appreciate your taking time to listen and comment.

SpaceDog,

I am so glad you like it! I really do appreciate your time and very kind words!

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

Steve
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song - The Wind - 05/28/11 04:22 AM
Hi Steve,

It's all been said. This is terrific work. Each song I hear just keeps getting higher and higher in the professional league. You've set a really high bar for yourself and time after time, you conquer it and raise the bar even higher.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - The Wind - 05/28/11 03:15 PM
Hi Noel,

Thanks so much for your very nice words! Your time and thoughts are very much appreciated!

Steve
Posted By: dcuny Re: New Song - The Wind - 05/28/11 09:14 PM
Hi, Steve.

I had another listen - the vocals sounds less processed than before. Again, I'd like to complement you on how you create variety in your mixes - there's always something interesting happening, and there's always space to hear it in the mix.

In terms of the vocals, this is what I think I had been hearing: a combination of compression, pitch correction, and reverb. On the plus side, the vocals are always clear and understandable, up front, and in tune. And the overall sound really is nice. I'm just noting the level of gloss, and that's purely subjective.

Anyway, you've turned the dial down, so it sounds much more natural.

Since I'm being persnickety... There are some little clicks I hear on the vocals. For example, "In the middle of the night" has a bit of a click in it. It happens in some other places as well. I suspect it's from editing your vocals together, and not part of the original vocals. I don't know what you use as an editor, but Reaper has an auto-crossfade feature that helps minimize it - you probably have something similar in whatever you're using.

It's not a big deal - my 15 year only could only hear it after multiple listens (but my 8 year old claims she heard it right away - but I think she's just trying to one-up her older brother! ). Again, not a big deal, but I know you're a perfectionist, because you're work really shows it.

Edit: I think it is where the click on "night" is, for example:

But as I said, that's just being persnickety.

Again - nice work!
Posted By: 90 dB Re: New Song - The Wind - 05/29/11 12:16 PM
Simply beautiful.
Posted By: tommyad Re: New Song - The Wind - 06/02/11 10:42 PM
Nice job. Great production,great lyrical content,great vocals. You gotta love Brent Mason, that solo really brings this piece to another level. Tom
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - The Wind - 06/03/11 02:06 AM
Tommy,

Thank you very much for your comments! I do appreciate your input, and I am glad you like the song!

Have a blessed day!

90db,

Thanks again for your time and very kind words!

David,

Once again, thank you, kind sir! I will probably be redoing the vocals eventually. I think I can do a better job. I had bad congestion when I recorded this. When I get ready to release my million-seller album I will get this fixed.

Steve
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: New Song - The Wind - 11/17/11 11:24 PM
Simply gorgeous work !!

Trax
Posted By: RandyBenjamin Re: New Song - The Wind - 03/26/12 02:20 PM
This is how to build a song... the arrangement is excellent. I could hear this on the radio or on an album just like it is... No need to re-record in a big studio, this song is ready to put out... Wonderfully produced and sung...

I am so impressed with your music... it's just amazing what someone that's as talented as you can produce in a home studio with electronics... Love it!

Randy
Posted By: Tim Lawrence Re: New Song - The Wind - 03/26/12 03:05 PM
Hey Steve,

I hadn't heard this one before.
Very nice my friend. Excellent production and song.
As usual your vocals are spot on and the arrangement is out standing.

Tim
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: New Song - The Wind - 03/26/12 05:40 PM
hi steve another great peace well done thanks eric
Posted By: Tommyc Re: New Song - The Wind - 03/28/12 10:31 AM
How did I miss this one Cuz, glad Randy bumped it up! God has blessed you in so many ways!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: New Song - The Wind - 03/31/12 08:00 PM
I'm late to the party, but I'm glad I came.

It's all been said.. you obviously have a very good voice and a real knack for writing compelling songs.

But what consistently catches my attention is the subtlety of your arrangements. The orchestration flows like water , and you do it all without any of the abruptness that is so common in MIDI productions.

I especially like the way you choose which instruments will play in each part of the song. In every case, your choice sounds "right" to my ears.

And finally, I appreciate that you use your music as a form of ministry. I respect that commitment and dedication of your talent to the very source of it.

Wonderful.
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - The Wind - 04/02/12 09:29 PM
Randy,

Thanks so much for your very flattering words! I really appreciate your taking the time to listen and comment!

Steve
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - The Wind - 04/02/12 09:31 PM
Tim,

Thanks so much! Glad you like this one!

Eric,

Thank you! Really appreciate your comments!

Tommy,

Thanks, Cuz! Your kind words are appreciated.

Steve
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - The Wind - 04/02/12 09:39 PM
Pat,

I'm glad you came to the party too! Thank you so much for your very kind words! Glad you like the orchestration.

And yes, I owe it all to Him! Without the Lord, I would be nothing!

I have been battling an abscessed tooth for several days, so haven't been able to do much singing or writing. Since you guys dug up this "old" song, I decided to do a remix on it.

If it sounds good, all glory to God! (If it doesn't sound good, we'll blame it on the Vicodin!)

Here's the link...
The Wind

Thanks again,

Steve
Posted By: Tommyc Re: New Song - The Wind - 04/02/12 10:01 PM
If you think this song is great you should hear him pray, makes my day better no matter how bad I feel! All Glory To GOD Indeed!
Posted By: trapper456 Re: New Song - The Wind - 04/04/12 03:15 AM
Hi Steve! I listened to this song and it is very well crafted. I really, really, like it. The words ring so true in so many areas of peoples life. There was a few times in my life that I'd felt that way especially when I was depressed, and I remembered my faith and love for GOD that I was always answered in so many ways from his healing power. I love your new song. I wrote a song called Father of Love that was inspired by the movie the Passion of The Christ. I's about GOD'S love, power and how we need him to succeed in everyday life, at least that is what it means to me. Here is a link so that you can listen to that song. I used traditional instrument's to record it, but it is a very powerful song. Let me know what you think by either posting it here, or leaving a comment on my YouTube Page. Once again beautiful song man...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qWGkUcre...ture=plpp_video
Posted By: WSE1 Re: New Song - The Wind - 04/04/12 07:47 AM
Steve,

A great song. It captures thought and gives hope to those who are hurting. Good stuff man.

Sal
Posted By: Tommyc Re: New Song - The Wind - 04/04/12 03:50 PM
Remix Sounds even better Cuz, I am truly BLESSED to know you are my Brother In CHRIST!
Posted By: Tommyc Re: New Song - The Wind - 05/18/12 02:08 AM
Just had to have another listen after your sermon tonight, one of my favorites! PS Thanks for calling me!
© PG Music Forums