PG Music Home
http://soundcloud.com/jakeyh/back-home-1
The backbone of this demo is Realband. work in progress....copyright ©Pikes productions 2011

Posted a few times on the forums, but this is my first post in the user tracks cat... as i said just a first generation demo with realband supplying the bass, accoustic, drums and piano. thanks and hope you like the idea. Ade. Ps I should add this was mixed on headphones so it will prob sound better on a pair of cans..
I like this. Really nice change up in the bridge and ending. And the harmonies are really nice.

The only thing is I had a hard time hearing the lyrics - could be me with allergies acting out - but I'm listening through headphones. I can hear the lead vocal but it's low in the mix to me even with the volume cranked up. Maybe some other ears will chime in on that.
Thanks for your comments as i say its just the first demo to rough out the track, i should have a better one in a week or so. thanks once again for your comments. Ade
I'd like to second Josie's comments, nice song with great voxs. I liked the ear candy as well!
The mix sounds congested though, I think it's the crunch guitar work which being in the centre of the soundstage is acting as a bed, so it mishmoshes with other components. I'm not saying it shouldn't be there, but I'd try panning the rhythm guitar parts hard left and right to get them out of the way of the vocals?
again thanks for the comments its just that these songs are not mixed at all i have just pushed some faders up with a little editing and a bit of effect on a thing or two. i will try to post some decent mixes over the next week or so, you can critique these till your hearts content. ha ha ha thanks again Ade.
Dont know if anyone thinks these tracks are a bit "rocky" for the forum, as i see most of the tracks are a bit more mellow. anybody want to chime in on this?....Ade
No, I don't think they're too rocky at all, Ade.

BIAB and BIAB users come in all shades and that's a good thing. Ok, the software's styles are more weighted in the direction of older styles of jazz reflecting the background of the progenitors of BIAB, and Country gets the second largest look-in. But rock and blues are catered for as well (some more rock/pop styles are always welcome...)

When I use BIAB to provide say, keyboard parts for my songs I often audition lots of styles alien to the particular genre of my song as quite often I find something that fits just nicely. For example, even a 'Worship' MIDI piano part, maybe edited a tad, maybe not, can be just the thing for a piano part in a rock ballad. (I once heard Elton John explaining some of his writing techniques and he said that sometimes if he was stuck he'd play some chords from hymns to give him another angle to go forward with.)

I like to check out all the contributions here and really enjoy well-made and original tracks of all kinds even if the particular style isn't my thing. This is also a place to share knowhow on recording, lyric writing, arranging, etc. and I like to think I give constructive feedback on these areas. This is sometimes a difficult one of course, as on rare occasions constructive criticism isn't all that welcome when someone might wrongly interpret a polite, helpful comment as a barb. That's rare though, and besides, I think it would be disingenuous of me to give full blown praise and not mention when there is an aspect of a track preventing it from being significantly better. Also, I always try to bear in mind that people can be at various stages of learning the black arts of home recording between newbie and expert, and different sorts of comment are appropriate.

I also find it extremely helpful to have another set of ears check out my own efforts in case it illuminates something that can be improved but which I'd overlooked because I was right up close to the painting at the time!

After all that - feel free to rock on to your heart's content! If you check out my songs you'll find a mixture of the mellow and not so mellow.

John
© PG Music Forums