PG Music Home
Posted By: MrEd The Corner Show - 07/29/11 01:40 AM
A friend wrote this song after noticing several people gathered at a local corner store. He’s also singing it. We actually recorded this over a year ago using a workstation for backing tracks. With the audio chord wizard in BIAB I was able to import the chords and rebuild the song from scratch using an entirely different approach to the song.. I dropped the tracks into Sonar while using the original vocal track. I played the guitar intro using my old Digitech RP1, program number 21. My guitar is a Casio MG-510 midi guitar that I’ve had for almost 20 years. The midi still works although I seldom use it. After the intro all the music is BIAB although I didn't use all the instruments in the style. ( PBALADF.STY ) I also like to split all the stereo tracks into separate mono tracks in Sonar for more control of separation and left/right panning. It’s currently in Ab, tempo 107, but we will probably redo it in G and also re-work the ending.

I have really enjoyed doing this and it has really helped with learning how to use BIAB (I've had it for 3 weeks now).

While this tune isn’t polished it is my first complete project using BIAB.

This is also my first attempt using SoundCloud - I hope the link works.

Thanks

http://soundcloud.com/mred/
the-corner-show

Mike
Posted By: Sundance Re: The Corner Show - 07/29/11 01:52 AM
Hi Mike,

What a great job of using the audio chord wizard. And thank you for sharing your process, it's interesting and helps people.

I like that Don Henley vibe. Enjoyed this a lot.
Posted By: MrEd Re: The Corner Show - 07/29/11 01:58 AM
Thank you Sundance for the kind words. I am really enjoying this brand new way (for me) of making music.
Posted By: Mr_Songman Re: The Corner Show - 07/29/11 10:08 AM
Hi Mike,

This is by far the best new track I've heard in a long long time. This is just good songwriting and I'll be playing this for a while yet.

Can't wait to hear more like this - keep em coming!

Martin
Posted By: MrEd Re: The Corner Show - 07/29/11 12:06 PM
Thanks Songman. BIAB has opened up a lot of possibilities and the very active forums are such a plus.
Posted By: pikeyh Re: The Corner Show - 07/29/11 02:37 PM
Yes have to agree with Sundance nice Don Henly vibe.. great tune with a strong melody I liked this one... keep it up. Ade..
Posted By: MrEd Re: The Corner Show - 07/29/11 03:40 PM
Pikeyh thanks for the encouragement. I hope to have another song soon.
Posted By: jcspro40 Re: The Corner Show - 07/29/11 07:02 PM
I really enjoyed that, Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: MrEd Re: The Corner Show - 07/29/11 07:13 PM
I'm glad you liked it and thanks for listening.
Posted By: Tommyc Re: The Corner Show - 07/29/11 07:20 PM
Nice Job especially for someone who just started !
Posted By: MrEd Re: The Corner Show - 07/29/11 08:23 PM
Thanks Tommy. I am still somewhat in a fog but do breakout occasionally. Lots of fun learning.
Posted By: Steve Young Re: The Corner Show - 07/31/11 02:17 AM
Welcome to the forum! Great way to get started with us. Really nice song, well done. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Steve
Posted By: dcuny Re: The Corner Show - 07/31/11 04:51 AM
Nice arrangement - it fits in well with your friend's voice.

Good work all around.
Posted By: gibson Re: The Corner Show - 07/31/11 08:14 AM
That song has really nice feel to it and my head just had to add the harmonies in the chorus!!
I really really enjoyed that, Mike

and I suppose it must be 20 years since I also got my MG510, Wow how times passes quickly!
keep up the good work.

Alyn
Posted By: Skyline Re: The Corner Show - 07/31/11 10:09 AM
An exellent song MrEd, well put together, and very skilfully engineered. Well done!

John
Posted By: MrEd Re: The Corner Show - 07/31/11 02:25 PM
Thank you all for your compliments and encouragement. I am enthusiastic again about music after discovering BIAB and this forum.
Posted By: Ian Fraser Re: The Corner Show - 07/31/11 03:56 PM
Hey Mr Ed

What a good clear arrangement. Well done. The beauty of the stylesheets are that you don't need to use
all of the instruments. In fact sometimes they make the song too busy.
As was suggested, maybe it's time to learn how to use the harmonizer on the chorus -
definite Eagles vibe.
It stands well as it is.

Ian
Posted By: MrEd Re: The Corner Show - 07/31/11 06:09 PM
Hello Ian

We are planning to add harmony. I actually did try the harmonizer recently but I'm still learning how to use it.

Thanks
© PG Music Forums