PG Music Home
Posted By: rhps New user and tune - 11/21/11 02:33 AM
Hi, my first published BIAB project. Still needs a little tweeking, but I think it is ready for a listen. It's an acoustic tune with BIAB backing band. All the guitars are me except for the finger picking during the chorus lines on the right speaker. This version has sax,but I am also making a version with guitar solo intro and outro. I generated the tracks with BIAB and dragged them into CUBASE and then recorded my vox and guitars. All the harmonies are real, I don't care for puter generated ones, they sound to perfect lol.

Here is the link, the song is called Yesteryears. It's about reuniting with old friends.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1204145&content=music
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New user and tune - 11/21/11 07:17 AM
Hi rhps,

Welcome to the forum! I like the mix and sound on this. Good job on the guitars, and really enjoyed the harmonies!

Looking forward to hearing more.

Steve
Posted By: Skyline Re: New user and tune - 11/21/11 08:59 AM
Great song, Robert!
Excellent vocals, harmonies, guitar work, lyrics, arrangement, well, everything really! Very hooky into the bargain. All superbly engineered.
The fade at the end is a tad abrupt, apart from that it's all perfect! Well done sir.

John
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: New user and tune - 11/21/11 12:31 PM
Sounds good to me and it is a good mix. The structure (one listen, I could be wrong) seems to be Verse-Chorus-Verse-Bridge-Solo-Verse-Chorus which sort of down plays the hook a little. Might still work, though.

"We've Come So Far" seems to be the title. The phrase Yesteryears doesn't pop out at all to me. Welcome to the BIAB forum -- good stuff.
Posted By: rhps Re: New user and tune - 11/21/11 01:18 PM
thank you steve !
Posted By: rhps Re: New user and tune - 11/21/11 01:23 PM
thank you for your observations skyline, i agree the fade is a little fast, i did that with my sony program, it still needs a little more mixing. the one guitar riff is a little to loud during the bridge section. i am kind of new to the cubase and band in a box, there is quite a learning curve .

kevin, i see you noticed the unusual structure , normally i have two chorus lines before the bridge section, but somehow it ended up like this and i was happy with it . thank you for your input.
Posted By: airtcon-161 Re: New user and tune - 11/21/11 03:38 PM
Nice tune. Liked the sax. Well put together and mixed.I beleive the phrase "Yesteryears" appears at 1:06. Thanks for posting.

Cheers

Nels
Posted By: RodM Re: New user and tune - 11/22/11 12:02 AM
Hi Robert.

I love the influences you mentioned and you sure do hold your own! Nice "real" harmonies too. I use to sing all my own and I got lazy with the harmonizer. Good guitar work too> I look forward to your next tune.

RodM
Posted By: Sundance Re: New user and tune - 11/22/11 05:15 AM
Hi Robert,

Welcome!

Impressive first song post. Great harmonies. Nice mix. I would've liked to have seen the lyrics.

I'm not crazy about the sax intro. I like your idea for a guitar there.

Enjoyed it!
Posted By: rhps Re: New user and tune - 11/22/11 05:52 PM
i'd like to thank the rest of you for checking my tune out,i was checking out some tracks that are posted in the threads, there is no shortage of talent with BIAB users. i'll try and get some good listens and comment on some of the material posted. if you would like to share any links to anything in particular please do so.

sundance here are the lyrics, i posted them at my soundclick site too.

Sometimes months or years go by with out a word
we get so wrapped up in our little worlds
we pick it up where we left off
like it was yesterday
here we are together again

we've come so far my dear friends
so good to see your faces again
it feels like yesteryears again

watching each other grow older
but feeling good about it
just knowing that we've arrived
it's amazing we made it this far

we'll take a walk through the trees
just like we always did
we'll reminisce and build a fire

we'll have a drink, have a smoke, soak the nature in
we're feeling good we can't get any higher

we'll tell some jokes , laugh all night
escape the loony bin
cherish this moment, it all has to end

i guess it's time to get going , get on back to the grind
i hope to see you again my friends
embrace me before i go, you just never know
if we will ever meet again

so good to see your faces again
it feels like yesteryears again
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: New user and tune - 11/23/11 09:03 AM
Welcome to the forum. Very good song, excellent vocals and guitar work hope to hear many more.

My Music
Posted By: rhps Re: New user and tune - 12/03/11 06:14 PM
thank you pg, i have uploaded a new version and replaced the sax with guitar solos. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1204145&songID=11261162

I was almost hesitant to do it because the puter plays sax so well lol but i had to be true to my style and record my guitar work.
Posted By: Sundance Re: New user and tune - 12/04/11 06:14 AM
I like the guitar better.
Posted By: rsdean Re: New user and tune - 12/05/11 11:41 PM
Hey Robert,

The guitar sounds great on this song. Good move swapping out the sax.

Bob
Posted By: mglinert Re: New user and tune - 12/12/11 04:08 PM
Robert,

Really liked the lyric on this one.

Really liked the tune and production too.

But somehow the two don’t seem to go together

All that driving beat + tension in vox and harmonies don’t seem to be in sympathy with the relaxed confidence conveyed in the lyric (‘watching each other grow older
but feeling good about it’)

The gtr solos are not to my taste, but then again very few are.

Plus I find that the bass line is at times (chorus) sometimes a little too busy and a distraction.

But overall, this is an accomplished composition, very well played, sung and mixed.

Had me thinking Lindsey Buckingham which cannot be a bad thing.

Marc
Posted By: MarioD Re: New user and tune - 12/14/11 07:16 PM
First welcome rhps.

I really like this! Great backing tracks, super voc, harmonies and lyrics backed by some great guitar chops!

Two thumbs up!
Posted By: Superbron Re: New user and tune - 12/16/11 03:43 PM
Welcome rhps!

Very very impressive for a first song. I'm looking forward for more.

Cheers,

Superbron
Posted By: Tommyc Re: New user and tune - 12/17/11 05:37 PM
Welcome rhps good job ,it's not a learning curve it's a circle of forum friends that help you every step of the way ! If you used Real Band as your Daw of choice there are Guru's to guide you through it too,and it's easier than Steinberg anything .
Posted By: Superbron Re: New user and tune - 12/17/11 06:39 PM
Quote:

If you used Real Band as your Daw of choice there are Guru's to guide you through it too,and it's easier than Steinberg anything .

Depends... I already used cubase on the Atari, so I kind of grew up with that DAW
Posted By: Fitzync Re: New user and tune - 12/20/11 10:21 PM
Robert, cool song, likes the harmonies a lot.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: New user and tune - 12/31/11 11:18 AM
Good stuff:
I liked the general flow and feel of the song.
you have a great voice for that style of music
harmonies worked quite well
I liked the fact that you played a lot of it yourself
This may be your first song posted here, but its clearly not your first go-round at songwriting. You seem to have a flair for it.
It was fun listening to it.
the guitar work shows real talent
they were innovative and not a rubberstamp of every other guitar part ever heard

Not as good stuff:
A simpler and more predictable bass part would have really enhanced the song.
You posted it saying it was not finished.

all in all a good listen
© PG Music Forums