PG Music Home
Posted By: Matt Finley 'Holiday' jazz waltz - 12/17/11 03:11 AM
http://www.mattfinley.com/promos/Holiday.mp3

'Holiday' by Matt Finley. ©2003 Kingsmill Music / BMI Used with permission.

I wrote this in 2003 for a show my wife directed. She had elementary school kids dancing and singing to it!

Note: this was recorded well before RealDrums & RealTracks. Some of you may have heard the song on Gary Curran's site, but now we have this great User Showcase forum.
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: 'Holiday' jazz waltz - 12/17/11 04:49 AM
Matt,
I always loved that song, but I never could figure out why you didn't do it with a horn. I'd like to hear it done again with Real Tracks and Real Drums.

Gary
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: 'Holiday' jazz waltz - 12/17/11 05:49 AM
Thanks Gary. I usually play it on vibes. Yes, I'll see how it sounds with our newer tools.
Posted By: Sundance Re: 'Holiday' jazz waltz - 12/17/11 06:02 AM
Beautiful Matt!

It's such a happy "vibe" - no pun intended.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: 'Holiday' jazz waltz - 12/17/11 07:43 AM
Hi Matt,

Wow! What a great song. You've certainly got the knack for writing quality music I enjoyed the listen; thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact, I'm just heading back for the second take.

Best wishes for a peaceful and wonderful Christmas,
Noel
Posted By: Tommyc Re: 'Holiday' jazz waltz - 12/17/11 05:27 PM
Loved it Matt ! My granddaughter has just finished her 1st semester band in vibes ,I'm going to have show her this link ! They put her in the 2nd year class after 2 weeks and she just had her 1st recital two days ago . Thanks for sharing ! Merry Christmas !
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: 'Holiday' jazz waltz - 12/17/11 05:57 PM
Thank you Josie, Noel and Tommy. Appreciate it!

Tommy, I do play vibes as a double, but this is all MIDI. I recorded the vibes solo on my keyboard at slow speed (!) then edited it and added grace notes as a vibes would do, and changed to a vibes patch. At the time, my goal was to do a realistic solo using only MIDI.
Posted By: Tommyc Re: 'Holiday' jazz waltz - 12/17/11 06:36 PM
You certainly did sound like a vibe player Matt !
Posted By: furry Re: 'Holiday' jazz waltz - 12/17/11 06:37 PM
Really did enjoy that one Matt !
Posted By: Noel96 Re: 'Holiday' jazz waltz - 12/17/11 09:35 PM
Quote:

... this is all MIDI

That qualifies for another "Wow!" from me. I didn't pick that up at all.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: 'Holiday' jazz waltz - 12/18/11 03:19 AM
Quote:

Quote:

... this is all MIDI

That qualifies for another "Wow!" from me. I didn't pick that up at all.

Regards,
Noel

Well, what prompted me to post it now was the renewed interest in MIDI features as requested by Peter. Thanks again!
Posted By: Cerio Re: 'Holiday' jazz waltz - 12/18/11 05:17 PM
What a nice and delicate composition! You did a superb job with MIDI, but I would love hearing that song recorded by real instruments, it's so beautiful!
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: 'Holiday' jazz waltz - 12/18/11 07:50 PM
I'm playing it at a jazz gig this Thursday!
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: 'Holiday' jazz waltz - 12/19/11 04:10 AM
Matt,
I've finally put my finger on it! Vince Guaraldi! That's what this music reminds me of. His Christmas jazz waltzes, in fact, all his jazz waltzes, appear to play a large influence in this song. Whether they do or not, I don't know, but it sounds like it does.

If you're playing it live, please video it and post it to YouTube!

Gary
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: 'Holiday' jazz waltz - 12/23/11 04:00 PM
Matt,
what sound module or soft synth did you use for this? As MIDI goes, this sounds quite dynamic
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: 'Holiday' jazz waltz - 12/23/11 05:40 PM
Thanks, Pat. It was an Edirol SD-80. I have since replaced it with a Fantom XR, and although there are more patches, the sounds of any given instrument are the same (Roland makes Edirol).

I read a post by Notes Norton that he still uses the Edirol SD-90. The sounds of the 80 and 90 were the same.
Posted By: jford Re: 'Holiday' jazz waltz - 12/27/11 08:30 PM
Hi, Matt -

I'm just now getting around to listening to this. Very nice, as usual. And it really has a happy Christmas feel to it.
Posted By: JBlue7 Re: 'Holiday' jazz waltz - 12/31/11 08:22 AM
Just gotten around to listening to this one Matt, Very nice very professional and seems to have a Christmas touch too. Was going to ask about the sound card/module but I see an Edirol, not bad at all.
Great Work.
Jeff
© PG Music Forums