PG Music Home
Posted By: JCJazz "the Ride" a work in progress - 01/19/12 01:41 PM
here is one that is in verrrry early stages , but i would like to hear your thoughts . Thanks http://soundcloud.com/charliessun/the-ride
Posted By: JCJazz Re: "the Ride" a work in progress - 01/24/12 10:36 PM
Well i guess it is pretty bad. I will start it over again with my new way of constructing songs and maybe it will be better. Is there a reason no one said anything about the song?
Posted By: PRearden Re: "the Ride" a work in progress - 01/25/12 01:14 PM
I think the vocals fit the lyrics... "I've been drinkin'...". I kind of like that. If that is not what was intended, you may want to practice the vocals a few times prior to recording. Or, use the recorder to help you target the places you need to improve.

All in all it's not any worse than most of the stuff posted here. Listen to some of the well regarded stuff on this forum. Listen to mine.

The reason you did not get any replies is you are not part of the "Mutual Admiration Society".

If you look around at the songs that are commented on, you will notice a trend... A small core group of people that tell each other how great their new stuff is. They don't generally comment on outsiders stuff.

If you want to be included in the group, you must positively comment on every lousy song they post. They will then dutifully tell you how great every lousy song of yours is.

Fun, huh?

If you are looking for help improving your skills, you've come to the wrong place. Go find a songwriters forum.
Posted By: Jan Romanoff Re: "the Ride" a work in progress - 01/25/12 02:18 PM
JCJazz
I think your chord structure and use of RT is quite good, but you have an intermittent challenge with hitting the right notes in the scale when you sing. This is very dominant in the overall impression of the song. I'm no expert, so take my statements for what they are worth.
By the way, I share PRearden's view.

Best
Jan
Posted By: MarioD Re: "the Ride" a work in progress - 01/25/12 03:53 PM
I just missed this one, sorry! I’m getting caught up now.

I like the backing tracks. They are very well put together. The lyrics are very good also. The only problem is that your pitch is all over the place. Practice singing everything you can help, at least that is what they say. I don’t know as I still suck at singing

Have you tried any pitch correction software? Here are a couple of free ones; http://freemusicsoftware.org/category/free-vst-effects-2/pitch-correction

I have no experience with these but maybe someone else on the forums has.
Posted By: Skyline Re: "the Ride" a work in progress - 01/25/12 04:19 PM
Quote:

I think the vocals fit the lyrics... "I've been drinkin'...". I kind of like that. If that is not what was intended, you may want to practice the vocals a few times prior to recording. Or, use the recorder to help you target the places you need to improve.

All in all it's not any worse than most of the stuff posted here. Listen to some of the well regarded stuff on this forum. Listen to mine.

The reason you did not get any replies is you are not part of the "Mutual Admiration Society".

If you look around at the songs that are commented on, you will notice a trend... A small core group of people that tell each other how great their new stuff is. They don't generally comment on outsiders stuff.

If you want to be included in the group, you must positively comment on every lousy song they post. They will then dutifully tell you how great every lousy song of yours is.

Fun, huh?

If you are looking for help improving your skills, you've come to the wrong place. Go find a songwriters forum.

Having a bad day or something?
Posted By: Steve Young Re: "the Ride" a work in progress - 01/26/12 01:08 AM
JCJazz,

I guess I'm one of the lousy songwriters from the mutual admiration society. I haven't posted before now because I somehow overlooked your post. I have been playing catch-up after being out sick, and hospitalized for most of December.

I actually like the quality of your voice for this style. With proper mic and mixing, I think your voice would sound right. As far as the pitch goes, there are places where you are pretty close, and then others where you are not so close. However, a lot of very successful singers have made a lot of money, singing only "close" to pitch. So, as has already been stated, I would work on getting at least closer to pitch. I don't think pitch correction software would do the trick.

As to the song, one thing I would recommend is to maybe break it up a little. It seems to just all run together. If there were a lead or something earlier in the song, it would probably hold interest a little better. But overall I think it's a good effort, especially for a work in early progress.

Keep posting! Look forward to hearing more from you.

Steve
Posted By: PRearden Re: "the Ride" a work in progress - 01/26/12 02:41 AM
Quote:

Nope. Just an observation.
Posted By: Skyline Re: "the Ride" a work in progress - 01/26/12 09:32 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Nope. Just an observation.

Well, you're plain wrong. And your comments are an insult to the people who frequent this board, but then they were meant to be of course.

I've been here a while and there's no mutual admiration society. If work merits it then it will be commented on and congratulated, whomever posts it. If help and advice can be offered to improve things then that happens - every day here. If none of those are possible for some reason then a reply may not be offered.

I personally follow the principle evinced be Thumper in Bambi: "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all." For example, if someone posts something utterly dreadful and I can't hear any redeeming features or find any way at all of offering tips for improvement then I won't respond. I would not dream of hurting someone with a comment such as, e.g. "Wow, that is just painful, out of tune, derivative, boring, too long, badly mixed. Keep trying, your next one will surely be better." Making music is too wonderful and enjoyable to deter anyone from doing it. We're all somewhere different on the learning curve and I will not do anything that might deter someone from continuing their journey. But I like helping people and if I think I can I have a try.

Apologies to the original poster for hijacking the thread. This should have been on a separate thread.
Posted By: JCJazz Re: "the Ride" a work in progress - 01/26/12 01:13 PM
Thanks for all the input. As i was doing this song it got away from me fast and it started with the structure and then went to the tempo. The tempo is what gave me the vocal issue and it went from a medium tempo Blues tune to a Cross Canadian ragweed rocker. I like the where i was going with the vocals but it needs lots of work to make that tempo work for me.Oh and when i was putting it together i left out the solo section and the bridge(brainfart) The 1st songs i did with BIAB where a real learning experience. As far as the rest of the comments about the forum i take it with a grain of salt just like i have for years in the many gaming forums i have been part of, i am still new and i know with time people will comment on songs and i will do it more also. Have a Grate Day.
© PG Music Forums